Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 header owners, I just picked up some used Downey headers, got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 header owners, I just picked up some used Downey headers, got a few questions

I snagged a set of used Downey headers off of Craigslist, the guy I bought them from blew his 3.0 up and did a supra swap.... Anyway the headers have some surface rust but should be fine. I got the cross over pipe, and a used cat with them, along with a few of the stock studs and some bolts. The cross over pipe I got looks like its a home grown unit, does anyone know of a good source for a cross over pipe that would work with these headers or should I start building my own? The cross over was welded up high on the headers output flanges, Im going to grind the welds on the headers and remove the pipe ends from them " he sawzalled it off the truck" I also have a question about the bolts, I read a write up about installing Downey headers and it said that they came with new bolts which leads me to my next question, what bolts should I buy that wont corrode or screw up my heads??? Stainless? Hardened steel? Plain bolts? OR just re-use the stock studs!! Also he said that he used Fel Pro gaskets but had to cut them apart to work with the headers, anyone have to reinstall theirs? if so what gaskets did you use... He did throw in the EGR valve and tube and the other valve / tube, though it looks damaged... Any help would be great! Thanks again, Matt.... Sorry I posted this in the 84-85 section!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the headers, sounds like a good score. How much did you pay used off Craigslist?

I am no pro, but have been looking into headers for my 3.0, here are a couple of ideas to consider. Make sure the head mating surfaces of those headers are plane and not warped.

The space for headers is pretty tight, have them ceramic coated to minimize the heat on brake lines, fuel lines and the passenger floor board.

MaK92-4RnR has a really thorough thread on his header installation and some choices along the way.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...xhaust-192629/

One thing he recommended is to use the original exhaust studs with nuts and washers. Most performance oriented parts shops will sell header bolts in different sizes though.

Lastly, any good exhaust shop can craft a crossover for you. Chief_Yota rigged one out of a-la-cart pre-bent parts which worked pretty well also.

Sounds like a good project, good luck.

WJ
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks!

I picked them up for $200 cash, I got the EGR valve and tube, the reed valve and tube, the cross over pipe, cat, 02 sensor some of the stock studs and a few of the bolts, he even threw in the used gaskets .... I think I may clean them up and resell them for what I have in them though, I was back and forth about buying the Throrley headers but thought these downeys were a good deal, I like the idea of the Thorleys being ceramic coated out of the box and have the cross over pipe and everything Id need for a DIY garage install, I SUCK at welding even though Ive been doing it for a while now, it could be my wire feed mig or just me!!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM

tip: either get them CERAMIC COATED, if they are not already or PRE wrap them with header wrap...

trust me on this...

actually do both...
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ldivinag
tip: either get them CERAMIC COATED, if they are not already or PRE wrap them with header wrap...

trust me on this...

actually do both...
They say you're not supposed to wrap them, but I think you should consider coating them. Mine are stock, and it gets the starter hot, and some other lines, but I just keep things like wires and lines away from them if possible, and they seem to be fine.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ceramic coat them, and buy a starter blanket from Summit Racing. Also, put some stick on heat shield on the passenger side footwell (firewall side) and put a thermal sleeve over your e-brake line.

After that, good to go as far as the thermal side goes.