86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 good power, then no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 good power, then no power

Hello all. After a year or so of reading, I'm finally posting a problem (yes I'm a nubie). I bought a 92 T4R salvaged and am in the process of relicensing it. After changing an axel seal, shoes, pads, and rotor I am ready for the brake and lamp inspection. Woohoo! I am still having a problem getting it to pass smog. I took it in after changing plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and air filter and everything looked good except the timing. It was set at 32 deg BTDC! It managed to pass everything except the timing. I adjusted it to the recommeded 10 deg BTDC and everything went to hell.When I accelerate from a dead stop, it runs great and has power (for a 3.0), but if I lift my foot from the gas at all (in any gear), when I get back in the gas it goes nowhere. Even on the freeway when i get up to speed (65-70 MPH) and ease off the gas to cruise the power disappears. I was cruising at 70 and ended up at 40 when I got to the top of the first overpass! The lack of power continues until you completely stop,then start accelerating again and the cycle begins again. It doesn't seem to matter what gear it's in, it will lack power after lifting. If I put my foot in it, it will downshift, but still goes nowhere. Today I pulled away from a stop sign and it had no power. As soon as I got out of the intersection I stopped completely for about 10 seconds, then stood on it, and it took off great.Anyone ever have this problem? Any suggestions are welcomed.Thanks,Dave
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM

from what i hear the 3.0 is slow, and it seems you have an auto?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 AM

That's my setup. Definately not a rocket. It's slow even when running well, but you can feel a MAJOR power loss and it happens a lot. Last trip around the block it was having problems about 50% of the time. I've been checking things here and there and have driven it a few more times. I pulled all the plugs and had no black or oily plugs. No burnt wire and cap is dry and clean. I pulled my CAT and it looked good. I have been checking relays in the fuel system and so far so good. the more I drive it the more the power loss seems to happen at any given time. Doesn't need to be warmed up to have the problem. Also if I don't need to lift my foot from the throttle to have the problem. It happens at any time. I'm wondering if it could be the fuel filter or oxygen sensors. I'm really just trying to avoid changing multiple things.