86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 Fuel Filter Replacement Write-Up by Infiltrator

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 3.0 Fuel Filter Replacement Write-Up by Infiltrator

Hello Yotatechers, since I am rounding 1,000 posts, I figured I would contribute to the forum which has given me all my knowledge about the truck I drive daily...

Background: My truck has 192,000 miles on it, and I still had the old fuel filter. I have read on posts that say that it is a "lifetime part" and judging from both my write-up and from what others say, I do not believe this one bit.. The old one was really nasty, as I will explain later.

Here goes nothing.
Time required: 2 hours if you are lucky... (took me about 3-4 total working hours)
It took me 2 days because I got discouraged when things would not go as planned. Also, I have to go to college to get my edu-macation.

Tools required:
-Socket wrench with extensions (forget what the nut size was, sorry)
-Metric wrench (the fuel line nuts are 15mm, and fram nuts are 12mm)
-Fuel filter (number 2330065020 and it costs me $33.14)
-Definately need something to lay down on top of (trust me)
-Rag for drips/ Rag for hands
-Clean bucket for gas leak (for $3.50 a gallon, we need to put that stuff back in!) If you do not like gas or are afraid of it spilling on you, DO NOT DO THIS!

Alright, I did mine on the sidewalk because we do not have a garage. Very bad idea because of all the leaks.

First things first...
-Open up the gas cap and let it go pssssssss and leave it open for a while...

*The fuel filter is located on the passengers side on the frame-rail.*
*Keep in mind, my truck has NO RUST because its from California *

Now, make yourself comfortable. You will be down there for a while. As you can see in the picture above, It is a TIGHT FIT!

Look and plan out your attack. Definately start with the fuel lines first!!! You want to keep the old one attached to the frame so you can torque those bolts with all you got (trust me on this one, I did not follow this, and had to put back the first one I took off). I would start with the one facing the rear of the vehicle. That way, gas only leaks out of one side... As soon as you get it going, GAS WILL LEAK OUT!!!! It is an erie feeling having it drip down your arm, and on the floor. You feel like one move and you are TOAST!

*For me, the gas would not stop leaking. For others, I have heard anywhere from 1/2 cup to a full cup! I HAD OVER A GALLON LEAK OUT ON ME!!!*

There are 2 bolts attaching this MOFO to the frame. They are tough. Use either a 12mm wrench for these bolts, but you will need to pull hard! At least I did. You have to get the top one with a socket wrench with an extension. No other way to get it loose...

As this gas would leak out, I put a bucket, but so much had already gone on the floor. The gas smell stays with you, it is hard to get rid of!!! (PS do not ever buy the green Hawaiian Puch, its crap!)

Take the filter out and set it aside. You will have to wedge it above and to the right to get it out... Grab the other and put it in the same way you took the other one out. DO not bolt to the frame YET! Make sure both lines are inside the bolts on the filter. When you are putting the new filter back on, make sure you THREAD IT CORRECTLY! I had trouble with this, and if you do not put it the right way, IT WILL STILL LEAK ALL OVER!!! AHHH! Thread the one that the gas is comming out of LAST. If you put it in first, it will fill up the filter and come out the other end. Not fun...

Here's my new filter

When I took out the old one, there was this brown liquid that came out. Very gross, and I could tell it needed to be changed. So much for the lifetime part lol...

It still leaked on me for about 10 minutes. I tightened and redid the whole side with gas leaking everywhere, and it finally sealed up. I really have no idea why the gas kept comming out, but it would not stop. BE PREPARED.

And finally, this is all the gas and everything on me at the end. Sorry for the yellow bathroom, not my fault .

New Pictures of my 4runner

If you have any questions whatsoever please let me know!
-Rion.

Last edited by infiltrator; 03-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up. You can also put a golf tee in the line instead of letting it bleed out.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 hours???? i did mine in like 2 minutes!!!! but it took about 2 and a half hours to pull the motor he he i rebuilt and though hey why not its right there now!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 PM

You ass. Mine was so rusted on I had to cut it off. I snapped 2 bolts off! I qish there was no rust here.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 24Runna
You ass. Mine was so rusted on I had to cut it off. I snapped 2 bolts off! I qish there was no rust here.
X2. My fuel line split from corrosion so I cut off the fuel filter, then replaced the filter w/ a universal fuel filter and a foot or so of tubing on each side clamped over the hard lines. !@#$%^ Rust!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I'm wondering if it's possible to put the fuel filter on backwards, or do different sized fittings prevent that from occurring?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM

I don't know if it is possible, but I'm pretty sure they are directional. A new one should have an arrow or some other way to show it.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YotaJunky
I'm wondering if it's possible to put the fuel filter on backwards, or do different sized fittings prevent that from occurring?
TWO DIFFERENT SIZE THREADS SO YOU CAN'T PUT IT IN WRONG
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM

fuel filter on the frame rail? i this a 4Runner thing, or 3.0 specific? both my 22RE trucks had the filter under the intake manifold.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Nice write up. I will take your advice on the Green Hawaiian punch.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jason191918
X2. My fuel line split from corrosion so I cut off the fuel filter, then replaced the filter w/ a universal fuel filter and a foot or so of tubing on each side clamped over the hard lines. !@#$%^ Rust!
+1 same thing here.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DN1911
fuel filter on the frame rail? i this a 4Runner thing, or 3.0 specific? both my 22RE trucks had the filter under the intake manifold.
Its a 3.0 thing.

Nice write up!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks guys.

Yeah, no rust is a good thing. The fuel lines are hard and do not give much play. On the fuel filter there it says "in" on one side so you know which way it goes. But after a while of working on the old one, I memorized it.

Yeah, I am guessing this is 3.0 specific. Sorry, I should specify better. Admin's if you can change it, put a "2nd Gen" in front of everything.

Sorry to hear so many horror stories on those fuel lines. I have no idea still on why mine kept leaking.. I wish I would have taken the advice and found a golf tee. But still, it took a good while before I was able to get the entire filter off, because the fuel lines stick in there a ways, and there is not much play in the lines (as said above)

So far I have noticed a better throttle responce (but then again kids, this could all be in my head...). We will see next time I put gas in how my gas mileage is...

Keep watch for a 2nd gen keyless entry mod comming up next!!!

It would be nice to have someone use this if anyone does, let me know how clear my directions are. I tried my best.

Last edited by infiltrator; 03-13-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 AM

I was going to do this last weekend, but got sidetracked.

Does the filter protective plate come off the old filter? Your Toyota filter had a new plate over it. My WIX Nascar approved filter has no protective cover. Does anyone know if I can reuse the old cover?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 AM

Great write-up.

I am planning on reusing the old cover on the new fuel filter. The issue I have with the lines is the line and fittings are seized, so the fitting will not turn in the fuel filter (without snapping the lines). I am going to take the bed off this summer and replace the fuel lines (but hopefully not the fuel pump bracket, that is expensive) and clean/paint the frame and undercoat the bed. Prbabably do the brake lines as well since I will have the bed off.

Hopefully the new parts I add will last as long as the originals. 17 years is a long time, especially in the mid-west.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:58 AM

And here's my missive on all this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nsight-131902/
Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 AM

A Toyota is a life time part sir.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 AM

The key is to block the lines as someone above mentioned, being coated in gasoline is not good for you. I never had a problem with mine other than being a pita to get to. A cheap autozone creeper or a piece of cardboard will keep you off the ground also.

Also about rubber tubing to replace metal lines; I had a Z-28 years ago I replaced a section of metal fuel line that got crushed by a curb with rubber fuel line. When I would romp the gas to pass or whatever, the fuel line would collapse & choke off the engine. They make a splice for metal lines that you can use & it will keep that from happening. Of course I don't know if Toyotas will have this same thing happen or not since the fuel systems are pressurized on the injected ones, but I just thought I'd mention it since I liked the look of keeping metal lines & not having them patch worked together with rubber.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 AM

Ditto on the fuel lines. Because of the high pressure, you need to either use metal tubing (the OEM parts are actually pretty cheap, about 30 bucks per tube) or get the special high pressure flexible tubing from someone like Summit -- if you use regular rubber fuel tubing you'll be very very sorry...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Almost wish I had the 3.0 now. This pick'em'up with the 22re has 284k miles on it, and to be honest, I don't know how old the filter is on it, and the only thing stopping me from replacing it is it's location! I'll just wait till I have to pull the motor or something, lol.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Fuel Filter Replacement Write-Up by Infiltrator