Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 exhaust question

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 exhaust question

I am thinking about redoing my exhaust, and I was wondering if the cat was needed or not. I know it will probably run without it, but will I get trouble codes, and/or will it affect my gas milage?

Also I'm thinking about running a Magnaflow XL muffler, does anyone here run one and if so is quiet. And if I don't run a cat how much louder will it be, I really would like to keep it fairly quiet.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just replace the cat. The old one is worth cash to scrappers (call ahead) and It'll pay for ½ the new one. A nice high-flow will keep you clean and legal.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, a cat is needed to be legal and pass emissions inspections. You can run without it. There are also high-flow street-legal ones available so you get the extra flow and the benefit of being legal. The exhaust will be a smidge louder than stock. Magnaflow mufflers can be a tad loud as well but are nowhere near as obnoxious as most of the rice-racers around.
Use 2 1/4" pipe for the exhaust as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

There is no such thing as emissions control where I'm from, so I'm strictly concerned about the performance of the engine.

Also is there any other muffler that has some performance gains and is still relatively quiet.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, a cat is restrictive, and due to the location of the
o2 sensor, you don't NEED one. I guess were obligated
to encourage one on this site...

Seeing as you don't want loud, why not just buy a cheap
high-flow?

As far as your muffler, run a 18" Magnaflow. I have one
on my Tundra and its not too loud at all and sounds nice
Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM

I looked at my exhaust this afternoon, and I do have a sensor after the cat. So since I don't have any trouble codes at the moment, does that mean that my cat is not stopped up, or would I even get a code if my cat was stopped up?

Also in my searching I found hi flow cats around 70 bucks, thats going to add up to a pretty expensive exhaust if I replace the cat, muffler, and pipe.

Is there anywhere else I should look for good deals on exhaust components?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 PM

With a sensor before and after the cat you will get a code if something is wrong with it. The ECM uses values from the "upstream" or "Sensor 1" (before the cat), and the "downstream" or "Sensor 2" (after the cat) to see if it is infact working properly.

This is where I bought my cat for my 22RE: http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...ss=1540&Page=1
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goolsby7mm
There is no such thing as emissions control where I'm from, so I'm strictly concerned about the performance of the engine.

Also is there any other muffler that has some performance gains and is still relatively quiet.
3 foot glasspack? Cheeep. Quiet(ish). Wickid.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by goolsby7mm

Ifuns ya'lls aint got nuttin bouts no mishuns testins, den im a wunrin bout y duh cars on ta lots got cadalac converts. hum.

On the other hand, there once was "California" smog controls and 48 state controls... and all them 48 other states had converters... and sometimes things that California didn't have. Recently, the car makers started to offer "50 state" emissions...
So... if you drive it on the public streets it has to have a converter, legally speaking.

But by all means, I do invite you to tell me I'm wrong. Not for your own 'gratification' but for the enlightenment of the world. It's hard to say exactly when, but one of the people in the world with a Toyota just may happen to drive in your neck of the woods.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 AM

Clever response "abecedarian", but I was under the assumption that my intent would be understood, but since it was not I will explain further for those who for some reason feel as if they need to critize.

I have 2000 acres of land I recently acquired for the purpose of taking clients hunting. Now my Toyota was purchased solely to stay at the hunting lodge and to be used for the upkeep of the land only. Also, being that I have my fuel delievered, I imagine that this trucks days of driving down public roads are pretty much over. I am strictly after the absolute best combination of muffler, cat etc. to yield the best fuel economy.