86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 "cuts out" for a split second?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 "cuts out" for a split second?

First off, I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

I have noticed that every once in a while, the motor will just "cut out" for a split second for no reason. You can feel the truck jerk as if the motor tries to die, but it is only for a split second and it seems to do it very quickly. I will drive the truck for a few hundred miles without incident, then it will do it again out of the blue. It only seems to do it while I am trying to get up to speed, but it's not like I am ragging on the motor in anyway. We got quite a bit of snow yesterday, so I was driving home from work in 4wd(under load??) and noticed it again, but this time it cut out more than once within a few seconds, so now I am a bit worried that this truck could leave me stranded somewhere. The engine doesn't completely stall out, it just seems to 'die' for a fraction of a second.
I haven't owned this truck for very long, but it does seem to run ok other than this one little issue. It seems that this only happens while under 'load' but like I said above it's not like I am trying to rag on it or anything.
Is there a known issue that could cause this type of problem?
I have no idea where to even begin to check and hopefully I don't have to wait for the truck to completely die leaving me stranded somewhere before I see what the issue is.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fule filter plugged when is the last time it was changes, or it could be a loose coil, bad ground, loose cable on batt. check the easies first. someone else will chime in soon and probably help a little more
Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 AM

I'm not sure about the filter being changed since I just picked this truck up less than a month ago. I just went to walmart and it did it 2 more times along the way (28 mile round trip). It seems to do it when I am 'lugging' it and then let off the gas pedal a little.
The motor does run ok any other time, it just 'coughs' for a split second every once in a while. It reminds me of a quick loss of spark if anything, but who knows.

I will check into the things you listed and I do appreciate the reply, thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by newTOyotas
I'm not sure about the filter being changed since I just picked this truck up less than a month ago. I just went to walmart and it did it 2 more times along the way (28 mile round trip). It seems to do it when I am 'lugging' it and then let off the gas pedal a little.
The motor does run ok any other time, it just 'coughs' for a split second every once in a while. It reminds me of a quick loss of spark if anything, but who knows.

I will check into the things you listed and I do appreciate the reply, thanks.
My truck was doing the same thing after I got it with the cutting out while accelerating in low rpms. The previous owner let it sit for a couple years before selling it.

I did a tuneup and replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap and havent felt it since
Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If fuel filter were clogged, probably would be more steady rather than a sudden cut off, and would be worse at full throttle.

Sounds like an engine control issue, either ignition or injector firing. 1st thing to do is check for codes. If none, then check for grounds and ignition components as mentioned.

EDIT: Also check tps and vafm per fsm specs.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM

A basic vehicle tune up would probably help even if it didn't cure this little quirk.
I was thinking the TPS is something I should check also. I know how to check them on domestic cars for voltage readings, but I'll have to research how it is done on a toyota for sure and what the readings should be(if it is even that method). Is the VAFM basically the same as a MAF sensor on domestic vehicles? If so, I noticed the air filter assembly on this truck (which also seems to be the 'MAF' sensor assembly???) has been swapped out for a junkyard replacement at some point.

Can anyone tell me a definite place to download the specific FSM for my 1995 ext cab 4x4 3.0 ltr 5spd truck? For whatever reason, I've only seen those for 4runners or the earlier versions of the toyota pickups.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey we've got another one! The old "code 11" gremlin. I highly doubt it's the TPS, but you can check it the same as any other(specs in the FSM). It's most likley the fault of the vehicle speed sensor, though could also be coming from any of the ignition components(ie distributor, ignitor). And it is essentially an injection issue too. Just pretty unlikely to be caused by the injectors themselves, or the injector circuitry. It's the really ECU stopping them from firing momentarily based on signals it's recieving, or rather not recieving, from one sensor/signal generator or another.

VAFM and MAF are 2 entirely different things. Not a lick of similarity between them. And also not likey to be the cause.

BTW, what year is it and have you checked for codes.

I've got a thread you need to read too. Hang on I'll go grab it....

Oh here's the FSM http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ it covers all 4WD trucks and 4Runners through 93. And nothing changed between 93 and 95, so it'll cover your rig too.

Here's the thread, read it and tell me if it sounds familiar.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-nuts-186678/

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll check into that link you posted in a few..

Btw, the truck is 1995 ext cab 4x4 3.0 ltr 5spd w/121,700 on the clock.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by newTOyotas
A basic vehicle tune up would probably help even if it didn't cure this little quirk.
I was thinking the TPS is something I should check also. I know how to check them on domestic cars for voltage readings, but I'll have to research how it is done on a toyota for sure and what the readings should be(if it is even that method). Is the VAFM basically the same as a MAF sensor on domestic vehicles? If so, I noticed the air filter assembly on this truck (which also seems to be the 'MAF' sensor assembly???) has been swapped out for a junkyard replacement at some point.

Can anyone tell me a definite place to download the specific FSM for my 1995 ext cab 4x4 3.0 ltr 5spd truck? For whatever reason, I've only seen those for 4runners or the earlier versions of the toyota pickups.
Thanks for all the replies.
Codes: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...85diagnosi.pdf

TPS - either measure resistance of terminals on the sensor itself: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...93throttle.pdf
Or measure volts on the ecu terminals, which also checks the wiring: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...86troubles.pdf

MAF & VAFM - they're both air flow sensors, but while the MAF measures the cooling effect of incoming air on a heated wire, the VAFM has a trap door-like vane that gets pulled/pushed open by air flow. The MAF wire getting dirty is an issue with the MAF; dirt is rarely an issue on the VAFM (but it's a clumsy, air flow-obstructing device). There's a "fuel pump switch" in there that triggers the circuit opening relay that sends power to the fuel pump. That switch can fail, causing the fuel pump to lose power. If that happens, you usually hear clicking of the COR in the passenger kick area.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Thank you sb5walker for all of your help
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 91 PU 3vze had this problem too (past tense because it just got benched after a head-on). It was showing a code 51, which among other things, can be a TPS problem. Didn't get a chance to check it out yet on mine, but thought the info might help you out.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Thanks ChzSoda for the reply. I plan to check out the TPS/etc as soon as I get a chance. Working 7 days and freezing temps outside have put this issue on the back burner for now. It hasn't done this for a few days, but it is something I'd like to figure out if possible. I am also planning on changing the plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter/etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM

I did all of those things you just mentioned, and that's when it started actually. I'm not saying it was a direct result of any of those things, but it obviously didn't prevent/cure it. My money was on TPS while I was driving my truck still.
Damn head-on collisions... Grrr...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 AM

I have the same issue, although not as frequent. It happens very fast, just quick enough to make your heart skip a beat. I've also noticed that when it happens, the check engine light flashes at that same instant. I haven't checked for codes, but assume it is some electrical gremlin (ground connection, etc.).
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
subscribed...
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 AM

I had a similar issue with my 94 3.0 runner. It turned out to be a bad ground connection that ran off the battery to the starter/block area. It was not tight against the block. So if I hit a bump it would move and kill the engine for a second then the engine would fire back up once the connection was made again.

Electrical gremlins are so much fun. Especially the ones that only happen on rare occasions.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM

This problem can exist outside of that, because before mine started I had added redundant grounds for all the major stuff, plus a beefier main wire running into the fuse box.

Last edited by ChzSoda; 01-15-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

I searched high and low for my issue and it seems the problem in this thread is similar to mine. Here is my story and thanks for reading, if you make it to the end...

I have a 95 4Runner, 2WD, Auto, 3.0L V-6 with 187,466 miles that recently had a tune up changed the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, both O2 sensors, and the fuel filter - all parts were OEM. Well, a mysterious electric gremlin showed up right after that tune-up.

My engine will literally "cut out" for a split second and the O/D light will flash on and then go right back off in a matter of seconds. I can feel the engine lose power for that instant - enough to give me heart failure - and then it goes back to normal. It was occuring at around 50-55 mph (usually while it was shifting), now it is starting to become more chronic without regard to speed or rpms - it happened at idle (once), but mostly under acceleration. It is almost as if there is a "blip" in spark or fuel delivery...like a cough or hiccup. It is almost like the computer is confused and it will not shift into O/D (4th) without assistance from me even with the O/D on. The truck hasn't flashed any codes for me to interpret.

This never happened prior to the tune-up so I thought it might be the TSP; however, I had that replaced and the "blip" still remains. My next step is to check everything that was changed during the tune-up. My fear is that the tune-up may have affected who knows what...

Are there other things to look for aside from what has already been mentioned in this thread? Was a solution ever found? She is off to the dealer Friday for a look see...hopefully, they can find what is wrong.

Thanks again and have a great evening

Gracie
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM

FWIW, you describe exactly what is going on with my truck but my truck is a manual trans so maybe that helps 'narrow' it down.....or not

My truck has never shown a problem via gauges/lights/etc. It just dies for a split second. If only I knew that split second would stay a split second. It's too cold here now to be wrenching in the driveway for very long. Please post back if you happen to figure it out and I will do the same, thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM

cutting out

mine ended up being the ignition switch going bad. Did it within reach of my air tools tho.

Quick Reply: 3.0 "cuts out" for a split second?