Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0????

I've noticed that a lot of people really do not like the 3.0 v6 motors. Why is this? I had a 90 4runner with over 200k miles and besides maintenance such as the timing belt it was rock solid.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Well i like mine. the biggest complaint is that i want more power. not to say that this one doesn't have enough to get the job done, i just would like more and this motor doesn't have the ability to be improved as much i want. If things play out with my dad's diesel swap in his truck that would be happening in the next few years, I would have my hands on a 250 horsepower 351 ford roller cam. great long block, bad fuel injection design. swap it over and make a stand alone computer and fuel injection for it. make up some adapters for the 351 to stock trans and reek havoc out on the forest roads.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Mine had 258,000 before i pulled it..

Had an engine fire when i got it at 240,000.

Didn't have great power, mpg, etc...
And it was a PITA to work on.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In a nutshell: inefficient, underpowered, and prone to blowing head gaskets.

I will probably start a fire by saying this, but what is there to like about that?

Originally Posted by Alex 400
I would have my hands on a 250 horsepower 351 ford roller cam. great long block, bad fuel injection design. swap it over and make a stand alone computer and fuel injection for it.
What is bad about the stock EFI?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM

I have a 87 4runner with the 22re and had a 90 4runner with the 3.0. The 90 seemed to be just fine, lasted over 200k miles then we sold it. I'd be using one as a dd, seeing very little off road. Is the replacement found in the 96 and up a better engine? I know with the 3.0's, the timing belt needs replaced every 100k miles (sometimes sooner). What kinda life could I get out of the head gaskets? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

I am a new member here, but have been reading andd following this forum for a good while now. I have a 3.0 myself, and I can understand the desire to get a little more power out of this engine. It has just enough power to get the job done, its just not what you would expect from a v6. I have seen that there ARE a few ways to get a few horses here and there, but most are fairly pricey. In my opinion, the reason so many people hate this engine is because they bought their truck expecting it to be a screaming banshee of a motor, or to be able to turn into one after a couple basic mods. The fact is that this is just not what toyota had in mind when they designed this engine. Not that toyota didt make a couple large mistakes on the design of this engine, and I will not try to justify the tiny little valves or rediculous cross over, but I think that this engine is great if you are looking for reliability...just dont expect it to win any races...its not a sports car
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 PM

The whole reason for my search for a dd is because right now I'm driving my 96 Mustang Cobra every day. I'll have it for the go fast vehicle. I just want something that it wont bother me to get caught in a hail storm and also something to get me though the winter. If the 3.0's are still very reliable, I can live with the power. However, it seems a lot of the ones I've found have 150k miles and a new motor. I had 200k on my 90 4runner (wish I hadn't sold it now), stock motor and no problems. I won't be going off road. I will use it for hunting, but that's mainly down dirt roads, no real mud or anything. The 90-95 4runners are in my price range, I'm just concerned about the reliability (will be buying one with 150-175k miles). Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM

mine has mileage in that range, and I have no problems with it at all. The key is keeping up with maintenance. Treat it right, and it will return the favor.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
I won't be going off road. I will use it for hunting, but that's mainly down dirt roads, no real mud or anything. The 90-95 4runners are in my price range, I'm just concerned about the reliability (will be buying one with 150-175k miles).
It will work fine for what you want to do if the HGs had the recall replacement done. Once that it addressed they seem to be as reliable as any Toyota with proper maintenance.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM

im thinking of doing a ford 302 fuel injection swap when my engine dies
Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 PM

I've seen 3 or 4 people i know very well cook these motors, by no fault of their own. The ones my friends have had that didn't die weren't overly powerful, and got horrible fuel mileage and were a pain to work on.

Not saying that i haven't seen a 22r/re blow up...but that was from a horrendus amount of abuse that a motor just shouldn't go through.

Lol i just get by the with saying " its a truck", not overly powerful, not fast, but reliable and we'll get you anywheres you need to go and just about everywheres you shouldn't.

ALSO if you guys think your V-6 is underpowered...try going from a '82 Camaro 350ci and a crown vic interceptor 4.6L to a 22re AUTO!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM

^^LOL, that's why I'm keeping my 96 Cobra. I was gonna sale it and get a 01-04 Double Cab Tacoma, but knew I couldn't stand the difference in power. I'm debating, I've found a few 96-97's I'm looking at. They've got near 200k miles, but from what I've been told in another thread they're just getting broke in. I've got a much larger selection with a 90-95 with a 3.0, so I'm still interested in seeing where this thread goes. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 AM

Can anyone give me some info on the head gaskets? Other than that, I don't think I'll have many problems. I've been told I can get the VIN and call a dealer and they'll be able to tell me if it's had the recall done, correct? Once the recall is done, are there any other problems with the head gaskets? How much would it cost to have a head gasket replaced (can't do it myself)? Any clues as to how often I'd be replacing them? And finally, how can you tell if a motor has a head gasket that's about to go out? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help make some decisions. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
Can anyone give me some info on the head gaskets? Other than that, I don't think I'll have many problems. I've been told I can get the VIN and call a dealer and they'll be able to tell me if it's had the recall done, correct? Once the recall is done, are there any other problems with the head gaskets? How much would it cost to have a head gasket replaced (can't do it myself)? Any clues as to how often I'd be replacing them? And finally, how can you tell if a motor has a head gasket that's about to go out? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help make some decisions. Thanks!

Yes, the dealer can tell from the VIN if the HG recall was done.

In my experience, the 3.0 is very reliable (remember, these are OLD engines now with lots of miles on them for the most part) IF you don't overheat it. I blew all the coolant out of mine TWICE (don't ask) and towed a 2000 lb trailer before mine gave up at 218k miles. I rebuilt it completely (see sig below) and blew the same gasket area again after 8k miles & towing another 2200 lb trailer for 500 miles. Mine turned out to be overly high compression and no adjustment made to the fuel mixture to compensate. (at least I think that's what it was). I ran a poll and the majority of 3.0 owners have many miles on them with zero HG problems

Last edited by TNRabbit; 04-14-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoy my 3.0L. Its not a bad engine so far except to work on . The low power numbers keep the cops from harrassing me from speeding
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM

Are the head gaskets a problem even after the recall? Any ideas on the cost to have the head gaskets replaced? Thanks a lot, you guys may have just talked me into one.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
In a nutshell: inefficient, underpowered, and prone to blowing head gaskets.

I will probably start a fire by saying this, but what is there to like about that?

What is bad about the stock EFI?
it is an early fuel injection design. No mass air flow sensor, one of the things that makes it fairly restricted when it comes to tuning. also the plenum is huge and wouldn't clear the hood. I want to do a aftermarket EFI, 4 barrel based manifold. It would provide a lower profile design that could clear with a cowl hood.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM

One final question guys. If I find a 4runner that hasn't had the recal done, is it to late to take it in and have it done? Was the recall on all 3.0's, or just certain years? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Look 4 stickys down from the top of this forum for your answer...

Edit: that might not be the one. I thought it was stickied...

Last edited by Cyberman; 04-14-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
263K on mine and no blown head gaskets...

yea, i preach about the 3.0 a lil bit, but with 40K put on it in a lil over 2 years its still running strong... AND getting 20mpgs...
i HAVE replaced the head gasket when i had to replace a stuck valve...

you just gotta keep in mind that they werent built for power... they were built for low down torque...

if you want the better gas mileage then get the 5 spd and KEEP IT TUNED UP!!!
the autos get on average 12-15 mpgs but the 5spds have been known to get upwards of 22-25mpgs when driven right and tuned up...

shift low, dont hot rod it and you will have no problems...

Quick Reply: 3.0????