Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2wd spindle & helper coil lift - pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd spindle & helper coil lift - pic heavy!

wanted to share this with you guys...first of all, thanks to abecedarian and ZUK for all their help and advice. i found my truck a few months ago, and with only 60k original miles I had to have it. it rode way too low for my liking, but i figured that could be fixed. i didn't really know what i was getting in to after tons of research I decided to go with 3" lift spindles from obsessed motorsports for the front and to fab a coil helper kit for the rear a la the zuk coil mod. also new shocks, wheels, and tires all around.

we used a 12" 125lb coil, leaf perches for the lower spring mount and flat bar for the upper. 2 1/2" pipe was welded to the mounts to locate the spring.

finished and painted:

Install...

new procomp es3000:

we had to make some spacers for the brake hoses and proportioning rod, but that's boring. i didn't take very good measurements or pictures with the stock wheels on there, but it's WAY higher than stock.

moving on to the spindles:

new vs stock:

new spindle on there, install was pretty straightforward. had some issues with the brake tubes but we were able to bend them outta the way. they also require extended hoses.

new 15" wheels and 29" tires:

finally, before:

and after:

I think it's at least 250% better looking. the ride is firm but not stiff. so far i'm really happy with how everything turned out. so, did i do anything wrong? what should I do next?!

Last edited by rhill; 11-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looks really good, i like it, now on to the performance mods
Old 11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow!....nice job, rhill

edit- With that much lift in the rear, I would think it would actually ride softer than stock but I think I recall that ProComps are very firm shocks so that can influence your firmness. If you ever decide to replace those shocks then consider Bilstein. The damping is regressive...not progressive, like almost all other shocks.

Last edited by ZUK; 11-08-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM

thanks man! the total cost on the rear was under 100 bucks
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM

That is a big improvement and nice fab work.

I think the pro comps are a bit on the firm side for shocks, but it also looks like you have too much spring crammed in there. Is the coil spring pre-loaded once it is fit between the leaf spring, causing the leaf spring to over arch?

I think it would help the ride if you put in maybe 10" coils or maybe extended shackles. It is hard to tell though unless actually looking at it. This type of mod may take some experimentation to get the best results, since this is the 2WD Zuk mod.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good! And I like the forward rake too.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 AM

How much was the front???

Looks good. Not a fan of too much rake, but I need it because I carry crap.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those front spindles are $500 each, and I'm not sure if the core charge takes $125 off that price if you send in your old ones or adds $125 if you don't. Personally, I'd like to know what else the OP did to his front suspension, especially to fit these bad boys.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
the spindles are not $500 each, they are $500 for the pair. http://obsessedmotorsports.com/Toyot...d_spindle.html its $125 more if you done send in your stocks for a core so the price jumps to almost $700 pretty quick with shipping.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, I thought I read on obsessed that they were $500 each, I stand (or sit) corrected. $500 for the pair seems much more reasonable.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 AM

thanks guys! right now i'm attributing the firm ride to the shocks, and the fact that i have nothing to compare it to other than an old worn out 2wd stock truck. it's not uncomfortable in the least, it'll bounce up, down, up, then stop. before i was floating all over the road, it's definitely a big improvement. i looked at the bilsteins, but the es3000's were all i could afford right now, and they seemed decent for the price. after talking to zuk he decided that the 12" coils would give me the lift i was looking for (around 3 1/2").

yeah, the spindles were pricey...but after looking at em there was tons of fab work that went in, and they're really well made. you also have to get longer brake lines, i chose just to buy em from obsessed, they sell good quality ss braided ones. total for the spindles, lines, shipping, and tax: $653.78. As far as the install, they were 100% bolt on. the only trouble was getting the calipers back on...the brake tubes had to be bent quite a bit. I emailed jeff at OMF to see what he usually does to solve that, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I thought i took better pics of the install, but after looking at my camera they just weren't there. really the ONLY problem was the metal brake lines. I really wanna hear back from jeff, because the amount of bending i had to do just didn't seem right. the front shocks were also $65 bucks for the pair. I liked the spindles because for the most part they keep stock geometry and don't require any extras, t-bars, fenders, etc.

I was thinking about getting some longer shackles and maybe some bj spacers up front...but i think i might leave this one alone and keep it a comparatively economical, good looking, daily driver...then start saving up for an old runner this site has magical powers that make you wanna start wheelin.

well....maybe besides an exhaust a little later on....
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Looks good. I can't see myself spending $500 on spindles for my 2wd. Thats why I think I will convert mine into a 4wd
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM

dumb question but does the 3" lift spindle actually give you 3" of lift or is it more like 2ish. Looks pretty good im thinking about doing it too. Do you do any off roading or is it for purely aesthetics
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM

not a dumb question, i've read tons of people saying they get less than the advertised lift height from kits and what not. i didn't take very good before and after measurements...we did however measure the new spindle in relation to the stock. if you look at the part they added on, it is exactly 3" taller.

it's about 90% for looks. i wasn't diggin the grandpa painter truck (no offense to grandpa painters). i'm also expecting payload to be increased considerably. i'm not really into turning 2wd's into trail rigs...hence the aforementioned 4runner fund...

also, the 29" tires fit without any rubbing, and you might be able to fit 31s....maybe.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just can't see myself lifting a 2wd....unless it's with LONG TRAVEL!!!!..

and think about it dude.....you could of had the BLAZELAND LT kit for about $500 all together...(that's just his stuff...the DIY kit that he's contemplating on throwin out there)...and it would probably have been less for you since you're 2wd..

then throw a set of 63" chevies in the back...or better yet a set of custom Deavers..and you'd be set..and be ridin like a caddy on a cloud!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM

not sure where you're getting your info from...the blazeland kit is WAY more than $500...

http://www.blazeland.us/Page_3.html

not to mention it's only for 4wd...soooooo yeah.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM

86yota...is the truck in your pic photoshopped?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check out the DIY weld up kit he's thinkin about doin.....it's like $450 or so...

and yes he makes kit's for 2wd's.....at least i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that he does....

i have been known to be wrong though..LOL
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Zach, I have had a few people contact me for a 2wd version. I am not that familar with the 2wd configuration, but I do know they are completly different and in that sense would require a completly new design. I am not able to undertake such a project at this time. I am not sure if I will be doing any suspension endeavors for that matter! If things don't pick up with the 4wd version it will bygone Downey, bygone Blazeland.
I wish you were right...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM

ha ha ya my truck is photo shopped i wish it had that much lift and bigger tires.
Do you know how much longer the new shocks are over stock?

Quick Reply: 2wd spindle & helper coil lift - pic heavy!