86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd gen 4runner won't start after stuck parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen 4runner won't start after stuck parking brake

Okay everyone, here is what happened. I did a Jd fab long travel conversion on my 1990 4runner (not the point) and I was getting ready to get it aligned. I started it up, no problem and went to take the parking brake off. It was stuck and wouldn't move. I tried a handful of times until I saw a spark down by the parking brake sleeve thing. I shut the 4runner off and went to investigate. The wiring harness had been jammed between the parking brake metal pole thing coming out of the sleeve that was rubbing against the wire harness. I unplugged the battery, found an exposed wire and wrapped it in electrical tape. I plugged the battery back in and went to start the Yota, but when I put the key in the ignition, it makes a long annoying beep that won't stop, and won't start. It won't crank over and the dash lights remain off. I checked all of the fuses (in the cab and in the engine bay) and didn't find any blown fuses. Does anyone else have any ideas. I don't want to bring this to a shop for anything other than an alignment. Any help will be appreciated.

Edit: The beep was due to the door being open. My brake lights work along with headlights, even when key isn't in the ignition. When turning the key, nothing happens still. Nothing on the dash lights up and I don't hear any sounds.

Last edited by Joseph.from.sd; 03-07-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: New information
Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since it seems none of your switched power works .

I would check if the fusible link is open.

Just how did you check the fuses ??

Then maybe the battery terminals need cleaned and tightened

Be nice to know just what circuit was effected .
Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Since it seems none of your switched power works .

I would check if the fusible link is open.

Just how did you check the fuses ??

Then maybe the battery terminals need cleaned and tightened

Be nice to know just what circuit was effected .
I checked by pulling each fuse out (From fuse box under hood and under driver side dash) and checked for a blown fuse.
How could I check to see if my fusible link is open?
All I know is it's the thick wire harness that is very near the parking brake shaft by where the drivers right leg is.