Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd Gen 4 runner 'hi-clearance' fiberglass rear panels

Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen 4 runner 'hi-clearance' fiberglass rear panels

Hey guys, I've been talking to Corey aka 'Slacker' over at www.toyotafiberglass.com about building some sort of hi clearance rear quarters to match the hi clearance fronts that he makes. If there is a big enough demand, he will start working on something. If you aren't familiar with their products, here are a few build threads...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f209...thread-196975/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f209...runner-232398/

My original idea was to move the rear axle back ~6" which would leave much more room on the panel to open up for the wheel. The problem with that plan is that a) I don't have the fab skills to move the axle back and b) thats a lot of time for Corey to spend making a 'one-off' panel. Both problems cost me a lot of money.

So instead, we talked about making a panel that can be fitted into the stock location. There isn't a lot of room to open up the fender due to the 4runner being a 4 door. Basically, what we were thinking was opening up the panel right to the rear doors and having a two piece flare. One piece would start on the rear doors and the other would be attached to the rear quarter panel.

We also talked about relocating the gas filler door on the panel so the flare on that side wouldn't have to be cut out to accommodate the filler door. This would provide a cleaner look but you would have to extend the filler hose.

If anyone is interested or has ideas for a design, post away! Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 PM

bump..
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very much interested in that. I've seen two piece flares before and they look alright.

Extending the filler hose wouldn't be too bad I suppose. Would it be that easy to relocate the cable to the door opener though?

Another option might be a cut out to accommodate the gas door opening?

I have to place an order soon for some glass. My 4Runner has just returned to BC and I need to try and cover the tires a bit. I've also got speed holes that need fixing.

I think fibreglass is the way for me to go.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM

I'm not sure what Corey had in mind when it comes to the cable for the filler door opener. I know he has designed a few panels in the past where the filler was relocated. Maybe he can chime in here and fill in that blank for us??
Old 01-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Another idea I had is to have tube armour around the fender well tieing to the rock sliders. Anyway, some sort of clip that fits over the tube and has large plastic screws going into an anchor point in the quarter panel.

Something you take off when you go wheeling.

I want to armour the rear end much better. It takes a beating having that fat ass out in the rocks.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 PM

The fat ass on these things drives me crazy... That's why I originally wanted to move the rear axle back but I don't have the fab skills for that. The cost of parts and labour to do that is out of the budget. I would rather put that money into a solid axle up front. I still may move the rear axle a bit when I eventually swap out my coils but it depends on what happens with these rear panels... If they get built, my axle is going wherever the panel wants it to be. Im not going to be hacking up a fiberglass panel to relocate my axle. If the ass end really bugs me that much once the more important mods are done, i'll just have to chop it off...

I was also thinking of havin some sort for tube armour running inside the flare joining sliders to the bumpers. My idea was something permanent though. I wouldn't want to be taking armour off when I go out wheeling... that seems to defeat the purpose a bit, doesn't it??
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 PM

I was thinking of a clip on deal to go over the tube as a fender flare.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
here is an idea for corner protection, i don't know if Scotty at Addicted is still making them or not, this was from 5-6 years ago;
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Well, here are the corner panel protection mounted on a rig at the shop. The black on white is mainly for contrast. We can powdercoat for many different colors. These are a Hammered tone gloss black.

this is what TC did with his 2nd gen 4Runner:
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 AM

Nice. If you could clip on something over the tube I think it would be enough to avoid Smokey bear attention.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
I was thinking of a clip on deal to go over the tube as a fender flare.
Oh haha I get it... that makes much more sense!!