Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd battery location on a 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2nd battery location on a 4Runner

On a coil-sprung 2nd gen with the spare mounted below that is. I'm thinking of putting a deep cycle in so I can listen to my Sinatra, use my aux. lights or jumpstart myself while in out of the way places. Obviously I would retain my starting battery. Has anyone done this, and where did they put the second battery?

The constraints on locations:
  • my 31" spare is staying under the truck in the stock location
  • I have an 2.5 gal airtank mounted above the rear axle

Thinking about placing it above the rear driveshaft, but there would not be enough room if both wheels were stuffed though I cannot conceive of that ever happening unless you were to drive off a cliff, or jump the truck or a tall ramp.

Pics would be great.

My air tank:

Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i thought that the OBA was in the location of the stock spare tire location... or do you have a swingout carrier??

also, i think that 4Crawler has a writeup on how he did his, and i think that he actually put both his batteries underneath and opened up the engine bay...
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
i thought that the OBA was in the location of the stock spare tire location... or do you have a swingout carrier??

also, i think that 4Crawler has a writeup on how he did his, and i think that he actually put both his batteries underneath and opened up the engine bay...
No, I have the under-body spare location still. I wish I had a swing out tire carrier, it would open up so much space under the body.

4Crawler's truck has rear leaf springs so none of the 4-link brackets that come with the coil spring setup.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 PM

what kind of space do you have between either rear wheel and the tail light?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM

I'm not certain, but having been back there to mess around with the back window relay box, it seems you would need a very skinny battery.

I'm thinking that I may be able to mount two batteries sideways by the stock location for the coolant overflow tank, if I were to relocate the tank. I want to move my intake to the passenger-side rear of teh engine bay.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's how I did my second battery

I had to go with a optima but other then that it was drill one hole in the top of the inside of the fender and turn the overflow bottle it was a drop in deal behind the left fender same as the right side where your stock battery placement is located.
The one hole drilled was for a hook style batteyr hold the second hole is already there from the factory a AUTOZONE battery hold down kit was the only other thing needed to complete the install.
Then I added a dual battery isolater and it was only 3 wires one from alternator to the isolater and one to each positive post on the battery's and it was done.
It tyook less then 1/2 hour and works great the stock battery runs only the stuff needed to run the truck and the other battery runs my stereo, offroad lightsn and winch this way there is no drain on the trucks charging system to keep it running.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
olharleyman,
I don't want to sound like a complete newb but what is that thing with the cut off hoses on the top of that blue finned thing? Oh and you have got to post a pic of the Springer.

matt16,
How you liking that York? I went looking for mine to do the same (sort of since I need to keep the AC) set up but the dang thing must have gotten thrown away in the last 2 years. Can you run air tools off of it with that tank in there?

Thank you both.

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-20-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
olharleyman,
I don't want to sound like a complete newb but what is that thing with the cut off hoses on the top of that blue finned thing? Oh and you have got to post a pic of the Springer.

matt16,
How you liking that York? I went looking for mine to do the same (sort of since I need to keep the AC) set up but the dang thing must have gotten thrown away in the last 2 years. Can you run air tools off of it with that tank in there?

Thank you both.
That blue thing is a battery separatorfor dual batteries so you can leave your aux lights on, drain your second battery and still have the starter battery at 100% for when you crank the engine.

I'm loving having the York. Its best mod short of the locker I've done. If I want good fuel economy (theoretically, I bump the tire pressure up to 40psi, if I want it to ride like a Cadillac over backroads, the tires go down to 25psi, if I want a maximum footprint, 18psi works. Adter I get back to paved highway, I normally, do a 5 min inspection of the truck, now it takes 10 minutes including adjusting the tire pressure.

Besides, I look damn cool popping my hood, flipping a switch and pulling out a 25' air line to fill someone's tires.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could fit a battery in here I think.

I've been thinking about finding the right size air tank to put in there, and putting a compressor on the other side, or maybe an engine driven one like yours and a tank on each side! The mind runs wild.

Last edited by T-1000; 10-20-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by T-1000

I've been thinking about finding the right size air tank to put in there, and putting a compressor on the other side, or maybe an engine driven one like yours and a tank on each side! The mind runs wild.

I can't see a battery of any capacity (colloquial sense of ~, not electrical capacity) fitting in there. You can fit an air brake tank off a larger truck in behind the cross member that the panhard rod is attached to.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
olharleyman,

matt16,

Thank you both.
That blue thing is a battery separatorfor dual batteries so you can leave your aux lights on, drain your second battery and still have the starter battery at 100% for when you crank the engine.The rubber is extra secruity so it does not ground out on the hood by accident. And now for your viewing pleasure
my 1955 Harley Panhead

And if you look you can see my 4runner pre YOTA TECH in the backround
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
nice bike, but that seat looks awefully uncomfortable...

as soon as my grandpa finds them, my dad and i are gonna get a 1919 Harley Davidson Police bike, and a 1921 Indian Chief... never gonna be ridable, but they would make cool show pieces...

my grandpas uncle used to race motorcycles back in the day, and when he quit riding, he tore the motorcycles down, and boxed and labeled every part... they are somewhere in my grandpas storage warehouse... lol...

Last edited by space-junk; 10-20-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt... I really don't like you Im sick and tired of going up to the gas station and filling my tires up.. finding free air is hard now!

I wish I had more room in my engine bay
Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Matt... I really don't like you Im sick and tired of going up to the gas station and filling my tires up.. finding free air is hard now!

I wish I had more room in my engine bay
Way to derail my thread.

A lot of stations will fill up free if you ask, helps if you buy gas as well.

Do you have AC in your truck? If not, buy an old AC compressor, bracket etc and use it, all you'll need extra is a air tool oiler upstream of the pump and a colescant (sp?) filter downstream. I bet its just as good as the York.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

nice bike, but that seat looks awefully uncomfortable...

as soon as my grandpa finds them, my dad and i are gonna get a 1919 Harley Davidson Police bike, and a 1921 Indian Chief... never gonna be ridable, but they would make cool show pieces...

my grandpas uncle used to race motorcycles back in the day, and when he quit riding, he tore the motorcycles down, and boxed and labeled every part... they are somewhere in my grandpas storage warehouse... lol...
The seat is not that bad but my 300 mile trips on it are over but it the seat that was used on it from the late 60's and is still on it. As for your 1919 why not rideable? I would build it and ride it same with the INDIAN if you want to rebuild them and need help let me know. I do knuckles and up but have a friend no mentor that knows HARLEY'S like the back of his hand.

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-20-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
The seat is not that bad but my 300 mile trips on it are over but it the seat that was used on it from the late 60's and is still on it. As for your 1919 why not rideable? I would build it and ride it same with the INDIAN if you want to rebuild them and need help let me know. I do knuckles and up but have a friend no mentor that knows HARLEY'S like the back of his hand.
I imagine that old bikes have a similar charm through the beauty of a back-to-basics, no-frills machine, as our trucks have to some extent. Is that the draw?

The born-again biker thing annoys me though. I mean half those guys I bet you, couldn't change the spark plugs yet emblazon themselves in Harley tattoos and join biker gangs, which up here in Canada, is the source of a lot of drug crimes, murders etc.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
I imagine that old bikes have a similar charm through the beauty of a back-to-basics, no-frills machine, as our trucks have to some extent. Is that the draw?

The born-again biker thing annoys me though. I mean half those guys I bet you, couldn't change the spark plugs yet emblazon themselves in Harley tattoos and join biker gangs, which up here in Canada, is the source of a lot of drug crimes, murders etc.
Yes there is some truth in the back to basics stripped down to bare minimums thing but for some of us like me a Panhead has always been a childhood dream along with a 1946 knuckle head.

The born again don't get it they only think it makes them cool to own a Harley and have no idea. The last show I took this bike too I was starting it and a small crowd had gathered around me and my friend told to to turn around and when I did there were like 10 people standing there looking at me and talking then one of them stepped up and asked me why was I jumping up and down on my bike?

I almost feel over laughing and told them I was starting it and the guy said why don't you just push the button? I turned around and almost went to start it again and had to look at the group again and explain to them that HARLEY did not come out with the start button until 11 years after this bike was built.

The look of shock on there faces was priceless they had no idea my bike was old as they were and that you had to actually know how to work on a bike and kick start them yourself till the 90's when the yuppies started thinking it was cool to own a HARLEY to show off to there friends.

Are the rock machine and the angles still having the turf wars up there? I thought after mama bushay was put in prison that stuff all ended?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-1000

http://www.buy.com/prod/lightning-au.../90117664.html

What about something about this size?

It's not a deepcycle, but it is smaller than a conventional battery.

The brand no longer makes this battery. But I've seen others just like it and some a little skinnier. Check out high end Car Audio stores. I'll bet they would be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Yes there is some truth in the back to basics stripped down to bare minimums thing but for some of us like me a Panhead has always been a childhood dream along with a 1946 knuckle head.

The born again don't get it they only think it makes them cool to own a Harley and have no idea. The last show I took this bike too I was starting it and a small crowd had gathered around me and my friend told to to turn around and when I did there were like 10 people standing there looking at me and talking then one of them stepped up and asked me why was I jumping up and down on my bike?

I almost feel over laughing and told them I was starting it and the guy said why don't you just push the button? I turned around and almost went to start it again and had to look at the group again and explain to them that HARLEY did not come out with the start button until 11 years after this bike was built.

The look of shock on there faces was priceless they had no idea my bike was old as they were and that you had to actually know how to work on a bike and kick start them yourself till the 90's when the yuppies started thinking it was cool to own a HARLEY to show off to there friends.

Are the rock machine and the angles still having the turf wars up there? I thought after mama bushay was put in prison that stuff all ended?
:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably thinking of my OBA

I carry tire plugs & insert tools. Just for legality, I may put the run-flat inserts that bolt around the rim (street truck only). Tire can be destroyed, but the rim never hits the ground. I believe it's illegal to run with no spare unelss you're run-flat equipped (in Ontario).

Edit: The little rubber plug / line cut pieces are to prevent the terminals of the isolator from touching the hood. "Just in case".

Last edited by Noltz; 10-21-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 2nd battery location on a 4Runner