Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd and 3rd gen pickups 2wd - trim packages?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2nd and 3rd gen pickups 2wd - trim packages?

I've been looking to potentially buy a 2wd pickup to commute in. After looking at dozens of trucks this summer, I'm not seeing any 2wd pickups with different trim packages like the 4wd trucks came with. Are there any???
To me, one of the easiest ways to tell an upgraded trim package was always to simply look at the gauge cluster and if it has a tachometer then it's not the basic model - haven't seen a single one yet.
My 93 4wd is only a deluxe model and it's got a better instrument cluster than these. Basically the idea is to possibly replace my 4wd pickup with a 2wd, but only if I can find one that's better or at least comparable since I'm going to be looking at it daily. I'll still have my Land Cruiser for 4wd adventures and figured there are tons of great Toyota pickups comparable to mine out there, I guess not...
Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
From my experience, the extra cab seems to get a few extras, the standard cab did not get much of anything from the very few I have seen.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I haven't seen many differences but the very, I mean very, basic models (for the 2nd gen pickups anyway... I think some 3rd gens are similar) came with the 22R carbureted engine with a 4 speed manual regular cab. They also only came with rubber flooring, and vinyl seats, no A/C, no radio, no cigarette lighter, no rear bumper no mud flaps and no sliding rear window. Basically manual everything.

Most of the trucks I have seen are the next "trim level". I not sure if these were in some sort of package or what. These trucks tend to have more "comfort features" like cloth bench seats, carpeting and a radio. I think some other features are add-ons like the digital clock, cigarette lighter, automatic transmission, Fuel Injection (22RE), A/C.

Then there might be a grey area of packages between this one and the SR5.

I am not sure where the xtra cabs and the 3VZ-E fit into the line up but my guess would be in the grey area I mentioned.

There seems to be a lot more basic and just above basic 2wd trucks than 4wd trucks. I guess most people thought that if I were to buy 4wd, why not make it nice?

These are just what I have noticed. Most of these trucks are older than me...

Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM

thanks guys. yeah basically all that is what ive noticed. just wish i could find something comparable to my 4wd and I may end up having to go Tacoma 2wd in order to fulfill that need. i'll likely keep the truck for a while, so airbags would likely be a smart idea if i'm going to be streeting a 2wd that's much faster than my 4wd. wish the current tacomas were still mini trucks....
Old 08-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My two wheel drive door tag said cab and Chassis. That is all it was, Cab and Chasis, no luxuries at all. First long trip I took it on nearly killed my back, the bench seat was so cheap. I added alot of things to it and it was one fun little truck and what got me into Toyotas.

Finding a first gen Tacoma and that is in great shape is a tough find as well. A friend of mine is looking for one and when you find it they are way over priced or just beat to death. Even in that generation they are starting to get hard to find. I see them everywhere but upon closer inspection, they are going to take some work to get them up to shape.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
When I bought my truck it had carpet, a cloth bench, basic cluster, no clock, factory cassette, manual steering, black bumpers, 14'' steel wheels, but it has AC. The guy I bought it from said it was all factory and that the truck was used by his lead contractor to sit a job sites idling with the AC on.
I have since replaced the carpet, put in SR5 buckets, tach cluster, factory clock, aftermarket radio, added power steering, removed rear bumper and added a tube bumper, and bigger wheels and tires. My point is that if you find a truck that is clean that runs good and you like it, buy it. Any options that you want can be added on with factory parts. A lot of which are shared between all models.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM

I don't mind basic truck if it's something older (like 1st gen pickup) but for 2nd or 3rd gen I'm gonna need a little bit more amenities. AC is kind of a must-have for me living in CA, the rest I can deal with. The goal with the 2wd is likely a slightly lowered stance and just runs/drives good because I will DD it. I used to DD an old 83 Datsun 720 and it was a freaking blast, manual everything, but then I decided I needed 4wd and got my 93 pickup.

I've been looking at basically all 2wd Toyota pickups, from the old Hilux pickups to 1st gen Tacoma. I really really want to someday own a pre-78 Hilux if I can find one in good condition AND with AC, have only seen one for sale in the past 6 months that looked good but it sold quick.

Seems to be slim pickings for anything from the 80s/90s and the ones that seem great are of course priced accordingly. I like these trucks and am most familiar with them - my dad owned an 85 2wd from new until 1999 and it went 350k before throwing a rod (now my uncle drives it still i think), I had an 87 4wd turbo in college until it got totaled, and I've had my 93 4wd for like 8yrs. Lately I've been leaning more toward the Tacoma, especially a 2000-2004 because they changed smog laws in CA and all they do now is hook up to the OBDII port and no more sniffer in the tailpipe. Even my 93 pickup with 22re struggles to pass smog these days. I really haven't seen many good 2wd Tacomas for sale, their either cheap and beat up with salvage titles or they're 4wd and overpriced - perhaps everyone just loves their small Taco and wants to keep it.

Technically I "own" a 2003 Tacoma 2wd - my grandfather-inlaw gave it to me when we put him in the home, but I gave it to my FIL to drive instead of this trashed 98 Corolla he used to drive. Unfortunately the truck is an auto and I really wasn't impressed with the fuel economy of it when I was driving it around, only around 20 hwy with summer blend. I was really expecting a 2wd 4cyl to be able to achieve at least 25mpg like everyone says the older 22re pickups get. My MIL has a 98 Taco 4wd and that thing has significantly better power with the 3rz and I think it pulls like 22mpg. Heck, even my truck still gets like 19mpg.

I dunno, perhaps I'll just keep looking and hold on to my 93 for a few more years since I know the truck and it's still in great condition - fix the AC and perhaps think about a rebuild on the ole 22re with the funds I get from selling the Corolla and my SV650. When it comes time to sell, it should pull a good amount is my guess based on what I see a clean one going for these days. By then I may have found a nice pre-smog Hilux or Stout to toss a 1uz or turbo 2rz into.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by highonpottery; 08-25-2015 at 03:46 PM.