Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22rte starts up then dies after a couple of seconds

Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 22rte starts up then dies after a couple of seconds

Hi I have a 1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 EFI Turbo that just had the engine rebuilt and overhauled. Now when I go to start her up she starts right up, but then dies in about 2 seconds. It happens continuously every time I try to start her up.

I checked the intake piping from the turbo to the MAF for any cracks or holes and it is intact and clamped tight on both ends, so I don't think it's leaking. Also double checked all the intake and vacuum hoses and they're fine as well and in their correct places. I opened up the air box and the MAF flapper/gate seems to be working while someone else starts the engine, but I don't know if it's working correctly. It just closes after 2 seconds since the engine won't even run for any longer than that. I put a jumper into the plug on the driver's side fender bythe air box and the truck will run, but very roughly at that, like it's about to die.

The engine is getting fuel because I took off the line and some fuel spilled out. Plus the engine smells like gas after trying to start her up time and time again so I assume the fuel pump is working.

I'm pretty stumped at the situation. Does anybody know what might be the problem?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your afm isnt working it wont turn on the fuel pump.. on a 22re you can jump the fuel pump fp + b in your diagnos box..

i have thise problem with teh afm unplugged or not sealing but you checked that.. also you can check the afm with a multimeter and a fsm
Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you getting spark when it won't start?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
Are you getting spark when it won't start?
It does start and yes I'm getting spark. It just starts runs for 2 seconds then dies
Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Any codes?

I had this problem with my '88 when I first bought it. I was getting code 31-short in the AFM wiring. Well, what I did before I went crazy getting new parts was unplug the AFM, wiped off both connections, plugged it back in and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?...it stayed running.
Check out 4crawler's website for an easy test procedure.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM

So what are you saying? It just starts, then dies, and can't be restarted or it starts, then dies, and then starts and runs fine?

Any codes?

EDIT: got beaten to it...
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM

by two minutes! Gotta learn to type faster

Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Fuel pump is not coming on. COR relay, EFI fuse or AFM. Every time you turn the key to the run the injectors click once. That is why it starts.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a new fuel filter? IF NOT CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER.
Just cause you popped a fuel line and some spilled out doesn't mean it's getting enough gas.
It could just be fuel left over in the line. What's starting your vehicle for 2 seconds is your cold start injector.
From what I gather the cold start injector squirts fuel on every start no matter what.
After that with a good start ne ng to signal goes to ecu to send the injector pulse to the resistor then to the injectors to open them.
No fuel pressure for main injectors no workie. A clogged fuel filter will do that I know been there done it.

Last edited by 934rnr; 04-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
by two minutes! Gotta learn to type faster
Or have fewer browsing tabs open so I get to it sooner.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Or have fewer browsing tabs open so I get to it sooner.
Haha. I have at least 5 open at any given time...

Whoops..off topic
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Socal22r
Hi I have a 1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 EFI Turbo that just had the engine rebuilt and overhauled. Now when I go to start her up she starts right up, but then dies in about 2 seconds. It happens continuously every time I try to start her up.

I checked the intake piping from the turbo to the MAF for any cracks or holes and it is intact and clamped tight on both ends, so I don't think it's leaking. Also double checked all the intake and vacuum hoses and they're fine as well and in their correct places. I opened up the air box and the MAF flapper/gate seems to be working while someone else starts the engine, but I don't know if it's working correctly. It just closes after 2 seconds since the engine won't even run for any longer than that. I put a jumper into the plug on the driver's side fender bythe air box and the truck will run, but very roughly at that, like it's about to die.

The engine is getting fuel because I took off the line and some fuel spilled out. Plus the engine smells like gas after trying to start her up time and time again so I assume the fuel pump is working.

I'm pretty stumped at the situation. Does anybody know what might be the problem?
You checked from the turbo to the AFM, but what about from the throttle body to the turbo?

Anyhow, if I'm reading this right...
... the engine starts and dies within a few seconds.
... you jumpered the fuel pump test connector and it will keep running.
... you smell fuel after trying to re-start when it dies.

Disconnect the plug to the cold start injector. Even if you have an issue with the engine running then dying after a few seconds after doing this, if you don't smell fuel after disconnecting the cold start injector and try to restart it, the cold start time injector time switch may be failing.

Buy a can of starting fluid and have someone start the engine then spray short bursts of the fluid around all the intake fittings. If spraying the fluid in any particular area keeps the engine running, I'd start looking for leaks around that area.

It does sound like an AFM or COR issue considering it dies after a few seconds, but the fuel smell when trying to restart the engine may be a separate issue that needs corrected / isolated first.

Last edited by abecedarian; 04-09-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM

ever figure this out???
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM

i had a similar problem with my 4runner

[quote author=TURBO link=topic=53697.msg664111#msg664111 date=1231063554]
ok so after chating with my buddy Caboose, y'all might know him as trout_of_death... i decided i might go ahead and try to figure out why it's not running agin....

symptoms as of 12:27am sunday morning jan 4th 2008.....

* check engine code "51" my Chilton maual tells me,
"swich signal- A/C swich on, Neutral start swich off, Idle swich off during diagnostic check"
whatever that means (i think an alien wrote that)
but my maual dose not cover 1989 3.0's... just 1988 3.0's... my guess would be that they are<br>
close'nuf...
* engine cranks, fires once if your lucky
* was running super rich and had practicly no power...<br>
look at my cat after i got home from the store. (fig B)<br>
in fact from about 30% throtle to 100%, it did not acelerate any faster, the engine<br>
just made a diffrent noise...

check out this link http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53697.0 for more info and a solution to the problem
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Im having a similar problem with a 1991 22re 2wd pickup just put a starter pressure plate though out clutch flywheel, took it out for a test ride and it ran great but heard a little chatter turned out to be the water pump replaced it and a fan belt, fired it up ran almost a minute the check engine light came on and it just slowly lost power and died but started right back up and did the same thing. when i moved things to change water pump i unscrewed the plug for what I'm thinking was the mass air flow sensor, didn't damage anything when i realized that wasn't the way, i screwed it back down removed the clip and pulled the plug. and I'm thinking thats where i might have a problem. So this morn i unscrewed it again and seal it to make it air tight again started it up and the light stayed on but it ran for a good 3 or 4 minutes and slowly died off. its got me stumped. and i can't get it to give up any codes. i did notice I've got an excessive amount water coming from my tail pipe. anyone have any ideas? Stuck in Ga. headed too Ar.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 AM

So what are you saying? It just starts, then dies, and can't be restarted or it starts, then dies, and then starts and runs fine?

Any codes?

Hey, this is exactly the problem I am having. Everytime my truck has set it will stall the first time, second time it starts up eveytime. This only started happening after I had left my truck parked for 2-3 weeks.

I have had the truck (85 22RE) for a full year now. This isn't too serious because it always starts.

Might it be the fuel injectors? I had just replaced the fuel pump and filter about 2 months ago.

Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 AM

I have the same problem

My 86 pickup has the same issue. It starts, runs a couple seconds, and dies. I have tried everything I can think of. Did you ever resolve your problem?