Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22rte no power no rev

Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22rte no power no rev

i have a 86 toyota turbo 4x4. i bought the truck used for $900 in the condition it is in. the person i bought it from had the truck for 22yrs and im the third owner. the engine is not original engine it is a replacement engine with probably 120,000 miles. the turbo isnt a stock ct-20 it is a aftermarket garrett replacement turbo.
ok here is the problem. the truck has no power it struggles to get up slight inclines on the freeway and at 2100rpms it wont rev any higher and vibrates badly. if you put it in neutral at a stop and try and rev it full throttle it WILL not go past 3000rpms its like it cant rev any higher it doesnt hit a rev limiter it just wont rev like there is a drag on the engine. i cant even do 70mph on the freeway big rigs will pass me in the slow lane.

i checked the tps by moving in back and forward while it was full throttle it didnt do anything. i moved the distributor up and down while at full throttle and it still didnt rev past 3000rpm in neutral. checked vacuum lines and they seem to be in the right locations. just pulled valve cover off and put crank pulley to 5degrees and the notches in the cam sprocket seem to be at 12:00. unplugged tps and it didnt help and the ecu didnt throw a cel. it never gives me a check engine light so there is no way to check codes. please help i dont know what else to do. any advice will be greatly apperciated thank you
Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats the timing at? have you checked with a timing light? i kno you moved the dist, but that doesnt mean much.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Try unplugging your TPS and revving it.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 PM

unplugged tps doesnt rev still. havent thrown a timing light on it. figured out how to check codes. got code 14 which is over boost thats more then likely why it wont rev and vibrates it is hitting fuel cut. putting a boost gauge on it now
Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM

check for plugged exhaust . a plugged cat can cause alot of problems
Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM

put boost gauge on im not getting any boost maybe 0.5lbs. still have code 14 which is either the turbo or afm or even the ecu thats what my service manual says. i tried another ecu and it seemed to be even slower. how do i know if my afm is bad? im pulling the downpipe off right now to see if maybe cat is clogged.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM

so my boost gauge reads 0psi and still wont rev past 2000rpms. i replaced ignitor because i hade a code for it then i reset ecu and i only get code 14. so i pulled the elbow off the turbo to check free play right when i pulled it off there was oil sitting in the intake of the compresser housing right before the compresser wheel. checked free play in and out and there didnt seem to be any. so i put it all back together and pulled the hose off the wastegate from the compresser housing to see if maybe it would just boost now that the wastegate would allow it to full boost but it didnt do anything and still had 0psi replaced the afm also still 0psi. i just am dumbfounded now im ready to buy a brand new turbo because i just dont know where else to look. suggestions would be greatly apperciated
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stick your finger in the afm and see if the door is stuck and properly plugged in
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM

stuck my finger in the afm and door opened properly and made sure it was plugged in. i was thinking maybe i aint getting fuel. where can i put a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 AM

you could pull the fuel rail off and drill and tap a hole for the fuel pressure gauge. how do your spark plugs look?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM

thats what i thought to do. havent pulled plugs i assume its running lean
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you have a vacuum/boost leak. Check everything past the AFM for cracks or holes. Remove all of the lines and inspect them. You could have a crack on the backside of a pipe you can't see.

Does the truck have anything like a BOV, or crankcase breather installed? Has the truck always been like this since you've owned it?

Last edited by annoyingrob; 02-15-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Sounds like you have a vacuum/boost leak. Check everything past the AFM for cracks or holes. Remove all of the lines and inspect them. You could have a crack on the backside of a pipe you can't see.

Does the truck have anything like a BOV, or crankcase breather installed? Has the truck always been like this since you've owned it?

it doesnt have any bov just the stock one. and it doesnt have a crankcase breather. it reads 20 hg of vaccum at idle so i dont think i have a leak. and yes its been this way since ive owned it
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toyrunnerns
check for plugged exhaust . a plugged cat can cause alot of problems
X2 on this, try removing the O2 sensor, giving the exhaust somewhere to exit if the cat is clogged, and see if anything changes.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbomike
it doesnt have any bov just the stock one. and it doesnt have a crankcase breather. it reads 20 hg of vaccum at idle so i dont think i have a leak. and yes its been this way since ive owned it
I'm new to these trucks too but..... as far as I know they don't have a stock blow off valve. You might want to take a pic of your "bov" and motor for us to take a look at.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM

they dont have stock bov, the orignal ct20 turbo had a built in wastegate tho... Mine did this but that was because it had a blown head gasket and the turbo was cracked and had hella vacuum leaks lol but im re-building it first.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM

there is no bov then. i know it has wastegate. someone told me it had one inside the throttle body stock but i guess it doesnt. maybe i have a cracked manifold and it wont boost. but i still dont know why it doesnt rev past 3000rpm in neutral, makes no sense wouldnt it rev to 5000rpm even if the turbo was bad. it doesnt smoke, every once and awhile it will smoke when i start it up cold but it will go away very quickly once im driving. wouldnt it constantly smoke during driving if the seals were bad? i just dont see why it wont rev. espicially when im under load it seems like it wants to die it will miss very badly at 2000rpms and seems like the engine wants to die.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just because you read 20mmhg vacuum doesn't mean you don't have a vacuum leak. That measurement is taken at your intake manifold, the space between your throttle body and your intake valves. There's a whole bunch more to the intake system, everything from the AFM up to the throttle body. A leak there won't show up on your gauge, but will let metered air out/unnmetered air in, throwing off your air/fuel mix.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Just because you read 20mmhg vacuum doesn't mean you don't have a vacuum leak. That measurement is taken at your intake manifold, the space between your throttle body and your intake valves. There's a whole bunch more to the intake system, everything from the AFM up to the throttle body. A leak there won't show up on your gauge, but will let metered air out/unnmetered air in, throwing off your air/fuel mix.
ok so i should check for vaccum leaks then. whats the best way to do that? also what should i do about the no revs. im thinking i should pull the downpipe off the turbo and stat it to see if that will help. and i could also check in and out free play on the turbo. i already checked the compesser side but i heard the hot side takes more abuse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22rte no power no rev