Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RTE help --> Intercoolers

Old 08-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RTE help --> Fun with Boost

For all of those out ther that have 22RTE's, how many of you are running intercoolers, and what type, how big etc(how much?)? Also, how did you route the plumbing?

This and some head work are going to be the first things I do on the new truck.

Last edited by Bill; 09-01-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a yahoo group for the 22rte trucks.
I haven't seen many stockers with an intercooler, although one just sold on ebay that was designed for the 22rte. I can't see how it would possibly fit withouth removing the AC, however...

Another thing to consider is at 7psi or so, how much heat are you actually putting into the intake tract? Intercoolers work best when the air is heated and you get a nice temperature drop.

My vote for the best bangs for the buck on that truck:
1) 2.5 in downpipe, with flex tube.
2) Turbo upgrade - ct26 or other small turbo.
3) Head work, as you mention.

I'm building a turbo 22rte currently. ... Jeff Mosk is the authority on how to get power out of those motors, but he's spent more than a pretty penny doing it...

1988 Toyota 4Runner 22RTE (build in progress)

Last edited by dcg9381; 08-30-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM

7psi...yeah...not for long. Plus I don't have A/C

I'm going to swap to a garrett t3 before the build is done. I'm just deciding how I want to go about doing it: TEC kit($1515) or piece it together myself...cheaper but a pit of a pain in the ass. Thankfully I know a guy that owns a machine shop.

Plus, for everything I've read, with the stock CT20, and intercooler won't give any preformace gains, but it also won't hurt, and is just good for the motor.

Oh yeah, what's the deal with the ford TB? and how hard is it to bolt up?

Last edited by Bill; 08-30-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bill
7psi...yeah...not for long. Plus I don't have A/C

Oh yeah, what's the deal with the ford TB? and how hard is it to bolt up?
So if you're going beyond about 9 psi, how do you plan on dealing with the EFI? The engine itself can more than handle the boost, but there is no MAP system in the toyota EFI.. The injectors are close to maxed already (80% duty), and there really isn't any way other than limited feedback provided by a narrowband 02 to tell the ECU that you're going lean.

I'm looking for a 65mm 5.0L TB from an explorer... I think it can be adapted to the plentum. However, the TPS will *not* work on a factory ECU application and you'd have to figure out how to adapt it. There is also an IAC on this TB that serves no purpose in the toyota system. BAsically don't do it unless you're tossing your aftermarket ECU or can figure out a way to adapt up a toyota TPS.

The rumor I hear is to use a MK3 supra 60mm throttle body and stock TPS.. Haven't tried it and can't confirm that it works bolt-up.

On the turbo, you can buy a t3 manfiold for around $250.. A new garrett quality t3/t4 non-ball bearing, will run you $500-$600.. A reman, even less expensive. Get one that functions well in the boost level that you'll be running... IE - think small.

The CT26 is another option also and can be adapted to the stock manifold.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 PM

No, I'm not looking at running huge boost, just bit more than stock, and bit more reliable.

I'm thinking of (as I said) a t3, and I'm going to have an adapter made(simaler to the TEC adapter that they don't sell individually). And new higher flow injectors are on the list as well. I'm looking to basically go as far as the stock ECU will allow me to go.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 PM

Nothing against a T3, just side it appropriately...
I don't recommend messing with the injectors.. Some have reported that you can use an supra AFM and 440cc injectors, but I can't imagine that the fuel map is right across the board. If you're going to patch it, and using larger injectors with a stock ECU is just that - a patch - consider using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator instead, that way you only add more fuel proportional to boost.

I'm going to use megasquirt for my truck. I'm setting it up to use the stock wiring harness and potentially as a drop in replacement... Megasquirt runs around $325 or so bare bones, less if you're willing to assemble it.

At 9psi or so, I wouldn't mess with fuel at all.. .If you're lean, try alternatives before replacing injectors.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Again, with more digging, I've seen some people running ~9pis with stock injectors. I talked to a few shops intown about them and got a few suggestions: one (toyota guy) said perhaps running a second fuel preasure regularor to restrict the return line volume therefore increaseing fuel preasure -> more fuel in the cyclinders.

There is also the option of playing with the AFM, simply running it a little bit richer. This one really sparked my attention because of my 3.0. I'm at about 3300ft ASL, where as alot of guys I'm reading about are significantly lower. I leaned off my 3.0 4 clicks and actually improved preformance(not to mention milage). That gets me thinking that mabey I could run a little higher boost simply because of the thinner air at elevation.

I was going to try to use a Supra AFM, simply because the stock intake system is TINY!!! and the standard 3" inlet on t3's is the same as a 5MGE AFM outlet. I know I have to swap the trace boards and play with it, but I figure it should do some good.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:47 PM

I've got a set of 440cc injectors if you're going to try the supra AFM, etc.
You can remove the stock fuel pressure regulator entirely.. I haven't heard of running two, but restricting the return would make sense.

I'd highly recommend that you talk to Tim @ DOA, who knows these trucks in particular. The mods that work well for modern cars may or may not play nice with these trucks as they've got first generation EFI. That being said, some people manage to get them up to about 170 to 180 hp or so without going aftermarket EFI, I just can't tell you the best way to get that done.. I'd say that you need a wideband to start with, otherwise, you're going to be guessing about your A/F and with cast pistons and a boosted motor... My guess is with a better flowing turbo, a good exhaust system, and 9 psi, you'll be close...
Old 09-01-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been told that a salvaged '88-92 Mazda 626/MX-6/Ford Probe 2.2 L intercooler's a good bet. Can't confirm that tho.