Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Valve Cover Breathers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Valve Cover Breathers

I've seen a few people on here with breathers to replace the pcv valve and the other breather hole next to the oil cap on 22RE vavle covers. Does anyone know what type of breathers will mount on a 22RE valve cover? Brand and model number? Will the breathers cause the engine to run leaner because it acts like a vac leak?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You would have to plug the hoses so you did get a vacuum leak- it would run well at all with that kind of leak.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt16
You would have to plug the hoses so you did get a vacuum leak- it would run well at all with that kind of leak.
This post makes no sense lol

Rob
Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM

yeah. i'm a little confused. I know I have to plug the hose nozzles on the throttle body and intake manifold but i noticed the rpm drops when I take the breather hose (closest to oil cap) off and plug the hose with my thumb (hose end going into throttle body).
Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

The breathers on the valve (such as the Positive Crank Ventilation right in front of the oil cap) empty into the throttle body. You can put a breather (I assume you mean one of those little filters), on the PVC but you engine bay may take on a oil smell, which in turn will enter the cab.

When you remove that hose from the TB to the PCV, you will end up with a vacuum leak. This allows un-metered air into the combustion process allowing the engine to run lean. This will first make you engine run poorly, second will cause high combustion temperatures. So, instead of leaving a big gaping hole in the TB, you must plug it some how. How you do that is your choice, you may use your thumb, but that might make driving a little awkward unless you have long arms.

Is that clearer?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM

I always wondered about this. If you did install the "breather" and ran a hose away from it so as to exit under the body, for example, then plugged the TB somehow, wouldn't this cause the motor to run better seeing as it's not taking in PVC exhaust?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM

isn't the idea of the P-C-V (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) To increase efficiency and economy? The thermally broken down engine oil molecules that have dissolved in the trapped air of the crankase (caused by normal leakage past the rings) along with minute amounts of vaporized fuel that have also dissolved into the engine oil, can leave the trapped space of the crankcase and move into the negatively pressurized Intake manifold and therefore be burned in the cyllinders and passed through the exhaust system.

That was my understanding.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Itoyota
isn't the idea of the P-C-V (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) To increase efficiency and economy? The thermally broken down engine oil molecules that have dissolved in the trapped air of the crankase (caused by normal leakage past the rings) along with minute amounts of vaporized fuel that have also dissolved into the engine oil, can leave the trapped space of the crankcase and move into the negatively pressurized Intake manifold and therefore be burned in the cyllinders and passed through the exhaust system.

That was my understanding.

Right! Instead of letting in "contaminated" air, you could be letting in pure ambient air instead! I'm actually thinking that this is incorrect, or everyone would already be doing it, I'm just not sure "why" it's incorrect.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
this hole thread makes me

Just leave the dang thing on; if it's not working right for some reason, throw on a new PCV valve and hoses. Car companies don't just put PCV valves on their vehicles just for looks (although they may do it just as a means to charge you to replace it when you bring it in for service ). I don't doubt that you may increase the mileage, maybe even HP, by bypassing it (same as with many other emmision parts on a vehicle), but the change would be so small you wouldn't even notice it, thus it would just be a waste of time...
Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM

I'M RESURRECTING THIS. I honestly couldn't figure out what they did, until this thread, at which point i was like oh.. duh... ANYWAYS, i think if you used a crankcase filter and got rid of all the vacuum lines, emissions stuff, ect, then it would be a worthwhile mod. On that, i also think this would be worthwhile for those who took off the EGR valve.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 PM

the pcv system is basically a controlled vacuum leak. the passage from the throttle body allows clean air into the engine through the pcv valve and the passage to the intake plenum sucks the air out. it allows blow-by from the cylinders to be sucked back into the intake to be burned. it also helps keep pressure in the crankcase down so that oil is not forced around the crankshaft seals.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 AM

RESURRECTION PART DEUX:

still want to know, if you let the PCV port breathe out, and plug the vac port on the intake, would it have a positive effect on the motor, not having PCV air coming in?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
simple answer. no, it would not have a positive effect.

The following users liked this post:
old87yota (07-19-2019)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Care to expound?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Refer to post 11

also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
It is critical that the parts of the PCV system be kept clean and open, otherwise air flow will be insufficient. A plugged or malfunctioning PCV system will eventually damage an engine. PCV problems are primarily due to neglect or poor maintenance, typically engine oil change intervals that are inadequate for the engine's driving conditions. A poorly-maintained engine's PCV system will eventually become contaminated with sludge, causing serious problems.

:dj
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Refer to post #8. I'm not talking about blocking the PCV, but letting it out to the atmosphere. Plug inlet to the intake. In theory, now the engine isn't taking in PCV-contaminated air, just what comes upstream from the rest of the intake. Idea being much like the EGR delete idea.

Thougts?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Well, back from the dead like no other. Anyways, like i was saying, it would be beneficial if you have an EGR delete as it would keep gunk out of the intake and combustion chamber. However, like previous posted, the smell will make into the cab, on top of oil oozing out of the filter. THAT SAID, get a catch can and improve on this idea even further.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Ok, now we're on to EGR deletes.

When someone can read my question CAREFULLY, I'd like to hear from you.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM

Over a year later and my thread is still going. I already have answers to my questions. You can get breathers for the 22RE valve cover to replace the PVC hose and the other breather hose that both go back to the throttle body. They're not cheap, mostly from K&N. A PCV valve is a controlled vacuum leak and is a part of the emissions system. It's there so no emissions will be vented into the atmosphere, instead it goes back into the cylinders via the throttle body. Running a breather on the valve cover will alter the RPM's vs. having a PCV. Try listening to your engine with the oil cap off and then putting it back on. This vacuum leak can cause the engine to run leaner then it should.

This thread is officially done.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Hardly "onto EGR valves" i was making the point that this "mod" is debatable as far as gains go, but should be filed along with an EGR delete. On one hand you keep emissions out of your engine which should increase gas mileage and keep things cleaner. On the other hand you have emissions being released into the atmosphere and will probably have to adjust timing, if it is still within adjustment via disty.

Answer to question = Maybe...

Considering you should have just made a new post for this anyways, but whatever. Just to add to this, if someone is thinking about doing a breather mod, i highly suggest looking into a catch can as an alternative.

Quick Reply: 22RE Valve Cover Breathers