86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE tick or ping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE tick or ping?

an 89 Toyota pickup 111,000 miles on it right now. 90K service was done by Toyota about 2 years ago.., since then i have kept up with oil changes, and a radiator replacement... and just found out yesterday it needs a new battery only starts on a surface charge... any way the sound is in the top end (more of a tick to me).. not very good at explaining in text so let the video explain what i am trying to explain...

I know you guys know more then me and this forum has been more then helpful... thanks for the help in advance
Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a ticking valve. Pop the valve cover off and check the clearances on all your valves/rocker arms. Just follow you FSM or Hayne's manual to walk you thru it. It's not hard. I believe the numbers should be .008 intake and .012 exhaust when the engine is hot. If you're doing it cold go somewhere around .007 intake and .011 exhaust, but don't take my word for it.

By the way, 22re's don't have lifters. Don't ask that mechanic any more questions about how to fix your truck.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM

I know how to work on it haha but my father keeps asking the question to the mechanic and i keep telling him that's not what it is thanks for that info do you think that's the only thing it can be...i don't trust mechanics i try and do the work myself.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first guess is one of the valves is way out of adjustment. 22re's tend to have a 'tick' anyway, but that's pretty excessive. It could be the valve itself is stuck/sticky or possibly you've got a clogged oil passage so that part of the head isn't getting proper lubrication. Valve adjustment is way more likely tho. Pull the cover and check your clearances. Spend some time checking it out too and see if you've got any sludge built up or if you notice any discoloration from hot spots caused by poor lubrication. If you can't find anything wrong then don't spend a fortune trying to find it yet. It's hard to find a 'noise'. Sometimes you have to wait for something to get worse so you know what exactly you need to fix. Change your oil and replace a quart of the new oil with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM

loosen the valve cover a little bit and see if it continues. do you know if it is for sure top end? if so, i would say adjust your valves, and see if it stops. if it continues, or if you find out its bottom end, its a possible spun bearing.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 AM

I would go ahead and check the valve clearances but that might be a loose timing chain slapping against the timing cover. It's kind of hard to tell from your video. If it is the timing chain, you might not have a lot of time to fix it before you have bigger problems. I would pull the valve cover and look with a flash light and see if your drivers side guide is gone.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Ok so i went out on a limb to check the tightness of the valve cover when i went to go see if it was loose or tight, it was (lets be honest) really loose...after checking with many other sources for the proper torque specs for the valve cover there was no definitive answer all it was, was either 4 to 10 ft pounds or the "squisyness" of the half moon gaskets under the bolts so i tightened them until i felt comfortable and moved on..i honestly think they are not tight enough...but it has not leaked (knock on wood) so i assume its ok... so now im wondering as everyone else has said if it may just need a valve adjustment it was done around 4 years ago? at the 90K service done by toyota but it sat until i recived it since then.. it now has 111K miles on it.....does anyone know what a fair price would be for a valve adjustment? i just don't feel confident enough to do it myself (and fyi i didn't actually take off the valve cover i don't know the condition of the valve cover gasket and don't feel like going out to order one if its brittle) anyway are there any other suggestions? and can i help by posting another video? it has been stumping me since i got it of my grandfather i have done so much to this truck and i love it but if that tick was gone...quite frankly it would be the best truck ever! haha. but yea once again its a weird tick one i haven't heard before and i have so many ideas in my mind of what i might be some stupid and some could be it.. thanks again

another fyi: the "tick" is around cylinder number 4 its not very loud (i just know its there) and it doesn't seem to affect the truck performance..but i wouldn't know i haven't driven it brand new and have no other trucks to compare to and im almost positive that it is top end.

oh and "one more thing" since the video i have put in 92 octane i had plan to put it 89 but decided to see how it would run one 92 seemed to get much better gas mileage against the 87 which it has been running its entire life any ideas on if i should run 89 or 92? elevation is 550 ft sorry for all the questions i just find it much easier when there is an amazing community like this willing to help other people out and work towards a solution.

Last edited by Ven0m; 08-25-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM

get a mechanically inclined buddy to help (an extra set of hands, especially ones that know what they are doing helps alot) and do it yourself... its VERY easy, borderline idiot proof if youre good at following directions. hardest part is literally holding vacuum lines out of the way or putting them back if you take them off, the feeler gauges are a lil difficult to slide in, but they are still relatively simple.... takes about 30 mins. if the recommended fuel is regular unleaded.. stick with regular unleaded.. 87... i wont get into the science but theres a reason some cars have to run premium and some run regular. it has to do with how fast the fuel burns.

Last edited by yodafan93; 08-25-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 PM

yes i understand the fuel thing all has to do with pre ignition and agitation etc etc... anyhow i wish i had a buddy to help me but i don't all of my so called buddy know nothing but thinking their Hondas are 6 second street machines. but on that note i will check the valves and once i do that i will report back..thanks for the help..hopefully i can figure this out soon...
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 PM

well, regardless if they are honda fan boys, if they can hold a wrench in place, theyd be useful. thats where the 3rd hand comes in. one hand to hold the nut in place, one to use the feeler gauge, and one to adjust the valve adjuster crews.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 PM

they cant even do that.. "sigh" one of them asked me if my valves were in my exhaust...ill figure it out thanks for the help ill get back you with my findings
Old 11-24-2018, 04:20 PM

And???