86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re seized

So I am new to this site and to owning a 4runner, My grandfather has had this thing in his garage for a long time I would guess ten years. He was going to donate it and i convinced him to just give it to me, so me and my friend went and towed it to his house thinking all we had to do was connect the torque converter and drive shafts and the thing would start. So before we actually dropped the transmission we wanted to see if the engine would actually start, so i connect the starter and alternator belts ect. and go to start it up and just a click, go to try and turn it with a breaker and nothing. Pull the spark plugs drain the oil, and i think there was a little water in there and replace the oil, nothing. Call up gramps and he tells me that when he was putting the torque converter on, i dont know how long ago that as he was turning it to tighten the bolts and the engine locked up on him. I drop the tranny and the torque converter is still sitting on the engine. I am a very very very novice mechanic and I am wondering what my next step should be, I dont think it even possible for the engine to be held up on the torque converter.I have searched for a few days now any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Since you got it for free, if everything else on it is okay, you could search Craigslist for another 22RE motor (several hundred), swap it in, and be on your way. Sell the seized engine as a core, or for scrap and you'll get some money back.

Alternately, you could probably break the engine free. Fill it with ATF and/or diesel fuel through the spark plug holes. I'd give it a week for good measure, since it doesn't sound like you're in a rush to get it going. Might have to top off the fluid every day or two. After a week, try turning the crank back and forth with a breaker bar (spark plugs out!), see if it turns. If it turns, roll it over slowly a few rotations with the breaker bar, watch out, whatever you put in the cylinders is going to spill out. If it isn't, make sure the cylinder are still full, and let it soak a bit more. If that is successful, drain the crankcase, fill it up with some cheap oil from Wal-Mart or wherever. With the sparkplugs still out, hit the starter, and crank it over for maybe 15 seconds. This will blow whatever ATF/diesel is left in the cylinders out. Put the spark plugs back in, say your prayers, and hope it starts! The bearings/cylinder walls/rings/pistons might be toast, so it may not last long, but its worth a shot!

Last edited by buickid; 04-22-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Thanks ill try that. I have a buddy with a wrecked 97 runner. And I'm contemplating the swap. I know it's a lot more difficult swapping with the 4 cylinder then with the 3.0. Im not mechanically inclined to do that myself even though I would love it. With all the smog hoops I have to go through, I'm worried it will be something I never finish. But either way I got work to do.thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good info above. Even if it is frozen, but has been sitting for a long while it is good to soak the pistons with something. I have used Marvel Mystery Oil as well. Just sitting the rings can rust to the walls. Have you tried to turn it over with the plugs out? I had one that would not turn over as the cylinder was filled with antifreeze.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by p5supa
Thanks ill try that. I have a buddy with a wrecked 97 runner. And I'm contemplating the swap. I know it's a lot more difficult swapping with the 4 cylinder then with the 3.0. Im not mechanically inclined to do that myself even though I would love it. With all the smog hoops I have to go through, I'm worried it will be something I never finish. But either way I got work to do.thanks
If you're swapping a 22RE with a 22RE, it should be easy if you take your time. First time I did it was on a buddy's truck, swapped his 4 speed for a 5 speed at the same time. Took two days working at a moderate pace with no prior experience. You can do it, its basically disconnect everything from one, reconnect it on the other, nothing fancy really.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Good info above. Even if it is frozen, but has been sitting for a long while it is good to soak the pistons with something. I have used Marvel Mystery Oil as well. Just sitting the rings can rust to the walls. Have you tried to turn it over with the plugs out? I had one that would not turn over as the cylinder was filled with antifreeze.
Yeah I tried it with the plugs out. I really think it's toast but I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by buickid
If you're swapping a 22RE with a 22RE, it should be easy if you take your time. First time I did it was on a buddy's truck, swapped his 4 speed for a 5 speed at the same time. Took two days working at a moderate pace with no prior experience. You can do it, its basically disconnect everything from one, reconnect it on the other, nothing fancy really.
I think that's what I'll do then. I actually have to do the same exact thing haha
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM

Try the oil in the cylinder thing. Costs you next to nothing, and if it runs, at least you can see if anything else in the driveline needs repair before you start throwing money at it.