86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re Rough Warm Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Rough Warm Start

When I start my 22re after its been running for awhile, the idle immediately drops to about 4-500rpm, and stumbles a bit until I rev it, then it idles fine. When I start it up cold, it idles fine, but there is always a bit of moisture that comes out of the exhaust, leaving droplets of black stuff on the ground where the exhaust is pointed at. It doesn't bother me that much, I was just wondering if anyone knows what this could be.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Hey Willy, my 22re does the same thing, minus the idle dropping. But it does sometimes not want to start after I drive it and try starting it within an hour, and black moisture comes out of the exhaust sometimes too. I failed smog in Cali for Hydrocarbons...think it might be related. I wish I could tell you exactly what it was....I have read some good stuff on here though, and you will have to research it as I cannot remember exactly what I read...so definitely don't take my advice...BUT... I read something about some "O" rings on parts of the fuel system can crack and expand in the heat, causing fuel to leak and pressure to drop....I think there is a ring somewhere near the back of the intake manifold....? Again, look these up again to get the real deal...but I will let you know If I have any luck and would appreciate it if you do the same! Good luck man!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 AM

It sounds like Chris is talking about a leaking fuel injector(s). That's a possibility.

The exhaust dripping after start up is perfectly normal. Every exhaust on every motor will have condensation after start up. The black stuff in the condensation is hydrocarbon build up, also pretty common, but ultimately that's not desirable. You're probably running a little rich, which may or may not be caused by a leaking fuel injector.

There's a multitude of other reasons that could be causing you to run rich. Including, but not limited to: TPS sensor / adjustment; O2 sensor; Air Flow sensor; temp. sensor; etc.

If you start checking these things out, do yourself a favor and perform a complete tune-up. Check and adjust valves; fresh plugs, gapped to spec.; fresh plug and coil wires; dashpot adjustment; ignition timing checked / adjusted; idle speed checked / adjusted and anything else I forgot to mention here. I would also go ahead and check compression while you're in there.

Also, has the cam chain been replaced yet? Not that it pertains to your idle stumbling problem, but it's cheap insurance. If you swap that out, get an upgraded steel-backed cam chain guide.

That should keep you busy for a while, and it should clean up your idle. Keep us posted as to how it goes.