Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Ridge Reamer...?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Ridge Reamer...?

Okay so...ive never rebuilt an engine before..let alone took one apart...and my head gasket blew so i decided to fix it...well i got into my engine and saw i was missing my driver side timing guide rail.. so i decided to overhaul the whole thing. anyway, its disassembled up until the pistons.
Anyway, my question is...what can i use as a ridge reamer for the cylinders so i can take out the pistons? i know there are tools, but i live in alaska and no one but napa has them and they want 100 dollars...any ideas?...
AND how do i clean off the ridges on the 1 and 4 cylinders considering the pistons are at the top... I read that i would have to turn the engine to get the cylinders back down far enough to hook up the tool... im a little scared to do that considering ive never redone an engines timing before either... can i not worry about the crank position and just set it back to TDC(its at tdc now) before/when i install the new chain gears?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
a few questions first

I'm assuming the motor is out of the truck correct?

If you want to get it fully rebuilt RIGHT and be done with it, you need to remove the pistons and have the cylinders honed, and new rings installed on the pistons, otherwise you'll rebuild everything else and just have blow-by issues and/or main or rod bearing issues soon or later down the road.

Now of coarse, you can hone the pistons yourself by using a drill and a hone tool that you can pick up probably at Napa for maybe $10-$15 or so.

Have you unbolted the rods yet and attempted to get the pistons out? Just because there's a little discoloration at the top of the cylinder doesn't necisarily mean that there's a ridge there that's going to stop the pistons from coming out. After 296k miles on my 22re, there's was visually a little discoloration at the top of all 4 cylinders, but the pistons still came right out

But if you really don't have all that too many miles on the bottom end, I would say you could get away with just the head gasket change and timing set, and you'd be golden, probably up close to 300k if you have no other issues with the motor, like exessive blow by, oil consumption, or knocking.

And yes, you can rotate the crank all you want with the head off to get the pistons where you need them, but you'll want #1 at top dead center when reinstalling the head and timing chain, so that you get your cam timed right, and you can set your distributor in correctly

Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Nah, the engine is still in the truck. Heh, im doing this in my driveway with 1 costco set of tools...anything else i rent from schucks. Problem is, they dont rent out ridge reamers.. My truck is a 90, and the engine probably has damn near 300k miles on it...im not really sure my speedometer stopped working art 123k.

Anyway, i am planning on taking out the pistons..most definitely That was what my question was about... The ridges on the cylinder..I went and looked at them because i thought you might be right about just being discolored..but theres actual buildup on it...althought i havent tried to just take them out yet..i guess i could....my parts arent here yet from engnbldr anyway though so im in no hurry.

As for not needing to redo the rings...heres my scenario.
Around 112k miles i bought the truck. 120k i mobbed the piss out of it in glacial silt. Great idea right? haha...ya... anyway so my clutch went when i tried to pull out a buddy with my parking brake on(doh). When i got it back i could no longer use my 5th gear..it started making a whining noise...not loud, but i wouldnt really be able to hold speed like i could. anyway, i didnt care...then i bought a lift and new tires...bigger, 33s. Now i REALLY couldnt use 5th gear.. my guess was compression... on top of bad gearing for bigger tires..but i heard the 22re can push 33's no prob. anyway, so that dilemma was first, then when my HGask went..it went on a highway drive, and the result was a lower end knock...probably a bearing my dad said.. ill check for bent rods when i pull it out. Anyway, got new rings, full bearing kit, timing kit and and pin bushings on the way....

As for the ridge reamer...say i need one..what are my options? My friend suggested a block of wood, but he thought i had the engine out of the truck as well.. Options?

Thanks for the help tho already.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM

With the stock gearing the 22re wont like the 33's.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The ridge at the top of the cylinder will wreak havoc on getting the pistons out. ... just a thought.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
guess I just got lucky then...

296k miles, my 22re looked like this, and my pistons slid right out

AFTER the head gasket was peeled off of coarse

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I stand corrected... I think.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 PM

So.. yeah..dude your cylinder walls look horrible compared to mine... but i have more buildup on the top ridge... so i still have theproblem of getting rid of it without using the "ridge reamer" tool... anyone got suggestions lol?