86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re rebuild pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 22re rebuild pictures

just got my 87 4runner 22re back in and running again with a kit from ted at engnbldr and a street rv head and 268c cam from him.

i blew a head gasket about a month ago and decided to pull the motor and rebuild it anyway since it was burning/leaking some oil. it ended up being a good decision because when my machinist(Dave Moro, Pleasent Valley NY) took a cut off the top, it only made contact on the outter edges of the top of the block. he said it looked like someone had tried to smooth out the surface with a sanding disk on an angle grinder or something. so he took what he needed off the top to clean that up. then a .20 over bore and hone and i had spent more than i wanted to at the machine shop. i can tell it was well worth it though because the work was of excellent quality and he threw in some assembly lube and new rod nuts as well as some keys points about building these engines, which was great because this is my first rebuild.

i had a small problem after i had reassembled the motor and dropped it back in. it would start but only run for about 3-5 seconds. also, when i took the key out of the ignition the check engine light would come on faintly and the blower for the heater would still work. while i was going through and cleaning up my injector plugs i eventually found a wire hiding under the plenum that i had missed. it was the fuel injector ground that connects to the intake manifold. i bolted that up and she fired up beautifully. i did the timing jump, got that dialed in and tuned the idle and my truck is running better than it ever has. the new head and cam make real nice low to mid power and im noticing a big difference in hillclimbing abilities.

heres a link to some pictures from my build. i know its nothing radical but i figured i'd show it off.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=fb54537574