Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Re-build, Band-aid, or sell

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Re-build, Band-aid, or sell

I recently purchased an 1987 22re SR5 4Runner to have something to cart the kids around in the woods since we can't all fit everyone in the pickup. It has about 200k mi and figured I would do some preventative maintenance, so I replaced the timing chain, oil pump, water pump, oil pan gasket, and numerous other misc things. Long story short, after I got it put back together it ran rough like the timing was out. Spent a bunch of time trying to figure the problem out - timing adjustment, adjusting the TPS, plug wires, etc. I finally got frustrated and brought it to a shop to diagnose.

Turns out that #4 cylinder is losing 70% compression and the injector is not putting fuel into the chamber. The thing that I can't figure out is that it ran great before the timing chain fix - much better than my other 22r.

I know no one will have a specific answer, but I can't decide if I should rebuild, replace the injector and run it, or cut my losses and sell. Here are my thoughts and would like your input:

1) Rebuild - can't really justify dumping at least $4,000 into a rebuild - I want it done right and don't feel competent enough to do it myself

2) Replace the faulty injector - this feels like a temporary fix because of the poor compression, but if I could get it to run like it did before that would be fine.

3) Sell and put the proceeds into the other truck

The family really likes the 4Runner and I looked for a while to find one in decent shape. I know the right way would be to rebuild but I can't justify the cost. I would appreciate the input.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it ran good before but not now I'm wondering if something is holding a valve open. The chances of it "suddenly" loosing 70% compression is pretty slim.

Take the valve cover off and check valve lash.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 AM

I have checked and re-set the valve lash. I am going to throw in a new injector and see how it runs - hopefully this will get me back to where I was before.

A leak down test was performed on all of the other cylinders and all checked out within spec. Unfortunately, my 22r is gutless (>275,000 mi on original motor) and even the 22re running on 3 1/4 cylinders seemed like a huge power improvement. I've never driven a "fresh" 22r/e motor so maybe I didn't realize I was running on less than ideal compression.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 AM

$4000 for a rebuild... sounds like you want to drop it off and have them do everything. If you pull it yourself and drop it off I bet you can knock at least $2,500 off that. My rebuild was $1600 and that included the stuff you've already done (timing chain, oil pump, water pump, oil pan gasket, and numerous other misc things). All I had to do was get the engine to the guy's shop. If you can do all that front end work you should have the tools and capability to pull a motor. Just need a hoist and stand, maybe you can find a place to rent?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM

I know I am a newby but do you think that the fuel rail might be clogged? With that many miles for the gas take to get contaminated could be a possibility. i would check the fuel rails as well if your going to replace the injector
Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Appreciate the responses and I would love to take on the rebuild, but with the amount of wrench time I have available it would take me a while to tear the engine back down and reinstall - that is why I quoted the high cost for the rebuild.

I plan to pull the injectors, intake, fuel rail and clean thoroughly. The injectors will get sent off for professional cleaning and testing prior to re-install.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a complete rebuild kit, such that I can get an idea of a more DIY rebuild. LC Engineering has a master rebuild that seems pretty comprehensive and I got my timing chain kit from Engine Builder and he was great to work with and had reasonable prices. If I do the rebuild, I want to use quality parts, but being unfamiliar with the bottom end of an engine I would want to buy some sort of kit that would get me close instead of piece-mealing.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM

check out rockauto for rebuild kits. i agree with derockus. pull the engine yourself and drop it off. much cheaper that way. i've pulled and engine out of a truck (with trans attached to block, easier that way) in less than 8 hours. by myself. much easier than i thought it would be.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM

what about buying a used engine? should be able to find one with lowish miles for less than 4000$.