Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE pushing coolant out the overflow, NOT A BLOWN HEADGASKET

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE pushing coolant out the overflow, NOT A BLOWN HEADGASKET

Hey Everyone,

Been trying to help my Dad with his 22RE in his 94' pickup. Anyway for about a year now the engine has been pushing small amounts of coolant out into the overflow, the engine never over heats, no white smoke, no oil in the coolant, and with the coolant level a little low and the car warm, you can see the coolant flowing through so it doesn't seem to be a blockage.

We have installed a new radiator, water pump, multiple thermostats and radiator caps, new water temp sensor and cold start water temp sensor, burped it, etc and still it pushes it out.

We bought and tried all the head gasket testers and none of them register that its a blown gasket.

So we are completely stumped and my Dad is just about fed up with this thing and is ready to sell it.

I would love some help on this and get this thing going again.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Pushed into the overflow? or out of the overflow? A cracked head could over pressure the coolant system. But if its not boiling over and pushing the coolant out of the overflow I would not worry about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHunterman12
with the coolant level a little low and the car warm, you can see the coolant flowing
It's not barfing up bubbles or nothing right?

Not filling and overflowing the catch?

What mix ratio are you using, they don't like to be too rich (over 70% antifreeze, from memory).

Sounds like it's working as intended. The can is there to catch and let it suck back up the hot fluid. This is why it has a hot and cold level indicated.

I guess it could have some scale build up (If you use tap water or "fortified" bottled water) or have injested something.

I guess maybe try flushing it out the inlet. Or a de-scale solution.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM

It is going into the reserve tank and boiling out of that.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM

engine is only 2-3 years old, long block install just the same as my current 1990 22RE that I installed 1.5 years ago
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your sure it is not a head gasket issue.

i would think it has to be a air pocket issue with all the times you have drained and refilled the system .

Just how are you getting the air out??

I have found the best way by far is to just install a flushing tee at the heater valve remove cap when filling it pushes the air out.

i tried all the other ways and just kept having issues even went so far as changing the head gasket. Still the same thing till I installed the tee.

Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 11:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
This is a SUPER old thread. but I’m gonna comment in the chance this may help someone.. It’s very likely that this overflow cap was turned around incorrectly, so the pickup tube is hooked to where air volume should escape/breath (the vent) and the air vent is hooked into the radiator overflow hose. The coolant in is out, and out is in. Unfortunately, if this mistake is made it will cause coolant to be pushed out, exactly as described. Try popping the cap off and look at it, you’ll see what I mean. Be sure the radiator overflow hose is directly connected to the overflow tank pickup tube, and the vent should be, well, venting to the outside little “L-shaped-ish” hose, in case of an ACTUAL “overflow”.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:53 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by jjswenn
This is a SUPER old thread. but I’m gonna comment in the chance this may help someone.. It’s very likely that this overflow cap was turned around incorrectly, so the pickup tube is hooked to where air volume should escape/breath (the vent) and the air vent is hooked into the radiator overflow hose. The coolant in is out, and out is in. Unfortunately, if this mistake is made it will cause coolant to be pushed out, exactly as described. Try popping the cap off and look at it, you’ll see what I mean. Be sure the radiator overflow hose is directly connected to the overflow tank pickup tube, and the vent should be, well, venting to the outside little “L-shaped-ish” hose, in case of an ACTUAL “overflow”.
Sounds like maybe you speak from experience?

I will counter it seems less likely to me. They way this cap and over flow tank are designed should make it obvious something is wrong if it were hooked up wrong. The inlet and vent are offset by 90°, if they were reversed your vent line would be 180° from where it's supposed to be. It wouldn't have any securing method nor would it line up with its hole in the body.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:06 PM

Yes, I speak from experience. The previous owner had my cap reversed the wrong way. Coolant was pushing out of the overflow and I couldn’t figure it out, until looking closer at how the cap was in. Try it and see what happens. Especially when you consider on later model four cylinders, that the actual writing that says “coolant” is upside down (when the cap is installed correctly).
Old 06-18-2020, 02:08 PM

Regardless of the writing on the cap, turn the cap around so the tab is facing the firewall, not the bumper. If you install the This way on expansion tank, and very hot conditions coolant will overflow out of the expansion tank easily
Old 04-05-2024, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jjswenn
Yes, I speak from experience. The previous owner had my cap reversed the wrong way. Coolant was pushing out of the overflow and I couldn’t figure it out, until looking closer at how the cap was in. Try it and see what happens. Especially when you consider on later model four cylinders, that the actual writing that says “coolant” is upside down (when the cap is installed correctly).
Just solved my issue! I have a 91 22re. The cap is on the reservoir with “coolant” up right and that works. Now my dad has a 94 22re and I was dressing up the engine bay and cleaning some things as I put on a new thermostat and radiator cap on the vehicle. I put the reservoir cap upright and once the engine reached operating temp coolant started flowing out the overflow tube. I’m now waiting for the engine to cool down so that I can switch the hoses on the reservoir cap and flip the cap “upside down.”
Old 04-05-2024, 02:57 PM

Expansion tank caps on 22RE

Originally Posted by romeluis
Just solved my issue! I have a 91 22re. The cap is on the reservoir with “coolant” up right and that works. Now my dad has a 94 22re and I was dressing up the engine bay and cleaning some things as I put on a new thermostat and radiator cap on the vehicle. I put the reservoir cap upright and once the engine reached operating temp coolant started flowing out the overflow tube. I’m now waiting for the engine to cool down so that I can switch the hoses on the reservoir cap and flip the cap “upside down.”
Yep, what a dumb thing to overlook when designing these parts. You know, I really love older Toyota vehicles, truly, but I must admit that there are some serious mistakes with many of them. A coworker of mine has an early 90s Mitsubishi Montero, and the other day I was taking a close look at everything on his vehicle as he gets ready to do an overhaul. It’s extremely well thought out and quality designed vehicle. In fact, as I crawled around under, over, through this Mitsubishi, I found myself saying out loud to the owner several times that this truck is better than many of the same genera Toyotas. Mitsubishi used a lot larger hardware on a lot of the suspension and steering components, and on the sway bar and links, etc. Those older Monteros are no joke. I really liked the way that truck was put together. Not a bad looking rig either, however, nothing beats the looks of an old 70’s-90’s Toyota 4x4. Happy you found the cap problem before you ended up with a blown overheating motor. As without the cap correctly installed, air will fill the radiator eventually and prevent proper thermodynamics.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just to clear this up for anyone else that may now be confused. One side is attached to a long straw that goes down into the res, and the other is connected to a little hole in the top..... so which side is the vent?
Old 04-15-2024, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delmert
just to clear this up for anyone else that may now be confused. One side is attached to a long straw that goes down into the res, and the other is connected to a little hole in the top..... so which side is the vent?
Long straw goes to the radiator and the other hole is the vent/overflow for the catch tank.

Hooking it up backwards with the vent (non straw) side connected to the rad will push coolant up that straw and out of the catch tank as soon as the system pressurizes.

Last edited by wfff; 04-15-2024 at 05:01 AM.