Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Performance Engine - Jim Putney

Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Performance Engine - Jim Putney

Hello everyone!
I am new here.

After reading through Snobdds' thread, I figured I'd see if anyone else had similar threads or experience with 22RE Performance Engines out of Chico, CA?
About to pull the trigger on the Stage 2.

Seems like the best way to go for a 22RE

thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech!

I just finished rebuilding my engine and used lots of parts and advice from Putney's. Great guys to work with, highly recommended. I've got 650 break-in miles so far and can safely say that this engine kicks like a pissed off mule.

If I had another grand or so, I'd have sprung for their stage 1. Go ahead and wait for praise from the folks that actually own one of their house-built engines, but I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat if I had the cash. Jim Putney's guy's know the 22re as well as anyone could and they try to only use the best parts out there, so hard to go wrong with them.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I absolutely LOVE my 22RE Performance engine. Not the lowest cost option, but an extremely high quality build to keep your rig on the road.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Still waiting for my cold start injector from August of 2017 plus two hose clamps. I did end up with 4 of the six clamps, and a rebuilt cold start that worked, but had a broken electrical connector(snap). They were supposed to replace the cold start injector. They even sent me an extra U-shaped coolant hose that I did not order or pay for, and I sent it back. See what I got for being honest...the shaft.

Never will buy anything from them ever again.

If a rep from 22RE reads this, and thinks I am a liar. I will give them the order number that is dated 8/1/2017. I still have all the emails too.

Last edited by snippits; 09-27-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by snippits
Still waiting for my cold start injector from August of 2017 plus two hose clamps. I did end up with 4 of the six clamps, and a rebuilt cold start that worked, but had a broken electrical connector(snap). They were supposed to replace the cold start injector. They even sent me an extra U-shaped coolant hose that I did not order or pay for, and I sent it back. See what I got for being honest...the shaft.

Never will buy anything from them ever again.
What?

I have bought things from them a few times and have had nothing but great experiences buying from them. They have always replied to my questions by phone and email.

It sounds like you had a communication breakdown. I bet there is more to this story that you do not want to tell us....

Old 09-27-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
It sounds like you had a communication breakdown. I bet there is more to this story that you do not want to tell us....
No, nothing else to the story than what I already said. I have the order number proof, and all the emails back and forth communications with them.

They sent me a cold start injector that worked, but it had a broken connector, and they said they would replace when they got more from their rebuilder in a week. Apparently, they don't do injectors in house. Crickets ever since.

Last edited by snippits; 09-27-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:45 PM

Furthermore, if they, 22RE, want to make it right, and correct their mistake they can PM me. I will give them the order number, and all the email communications. The email I posted was the last response I got from them, and I did send them at least one other email weeks after their last response. I never did get another email from them or cold start injector...just crickets.

More than likely, weeks later after they said they would replace the injector, they did not have one, or fulfilled another order. What's strange though is that they responded to every email quickly except for the one about where is my cold start injector replacement. No response.

Heck, I may even have the invoice if I look for it. But knowing me I probably got pissed off when I saw it, and threw it in the trash.

Last edited by snippits; 09-27-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

That is a shame they no longer answer the Phone either??

We have a office manager that misses emails all the time when you get several hundred a day it does happen.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:42 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
I'm in Europe, I have bought parts from them a few times, they have always replied to my questions by email, they also helped me to diagnose problems in my 22RE watching the videos I uploaded for that reason. I only have good words about Jim and Jerry.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just call them?
FYI they don’t have call waiting so if Jerry is on the other line, it just rings. Try back in 5 minutes if no one picks up. Otherwise Jerry has picked up every time I’ve called. I’d be pretty confident they’ll refund you the money if they sold you a damaged part. From my experience they’ve been very easy to work with.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I’ve had issues but after a phone call we sorted it out. I know they’re very busy and I think you have to call back a few times, which I agree is a pain.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a stage 2.5 sitting in my garage, ready to go in.
Yes,the process took a long time, and yes, it is an expensive motor.The customer service has been great, attentive and prompt.
Jerry has answered all emails, if not same day, then within a day or two
This is my first yota truck, and when I did my research and discovered these guys, for me, it was a no brainer.
I approached my build with longevity and reliability in mind. After doing my due diligence I am satisfied I made the right choice.
To the op, call them and talk with them, these guys know what they are doing and are very helpful.
To Snipits, I believe your cold start injector fell through the cracks, it does sometimes happen.
If it were me,I would pick up the phone and talk with Jerry, give hime a chance to make it right, he will!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:48 PM

I did find two invoices from 22RE Performance. The one with the rebuilt cold start injector totaled $179.47 I had another invoice for $42.

The invoice with cold start injector was a phone order. The invoice has a receipt stapled to it, and it was dated 7/31/17. And yes they did refund my $25 cold start injector core deposit.

Reckon I might as well give it a shot, and try to get what is owed to me. I have no problem scanning invoice plus receipt, and uploading it to where ever.

I just don't want to come off as a troll because I am not. Some times stuff happens, and not everybody has a pleasant experience.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-30-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: circumventing the censor = a no go
Old 09-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I just don't want to come off as a troll because I am not. .
you sort of came off that way...
Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
you sort of came off that way...
Because I posted the truth about my experience with 22RE Performance which is in disagreement with the majority...yup.

Any more stabs you want to take at me?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Because I posted the truth about my experience with 22RE Performance which is in disagreement with the majority...yup.

Ok I'm good now
Old 09-30-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

Your original post felt like a genuine effort to resolve the issue was not made, but rather a passive-aggressive jab. You sounded ready to fight them rather than resolve the issue. I am not necessarily saying you didn't make the effort, it was just that the way your post read felt that way. Your lack of any details (in original post) and your "ready to fight" tone gives off the "troll" appearance.

Very few people have bad experiences with 22RE Performance, so your post took me by surprise.

Try calling them.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes the truth is that you had a bad experience. The truth is also you did not take any steps to resolve it.
Waiting a year,taking no action, informing no one, then getting on here and complaining comes off as being less than honest, in context.
Other people have had problems, but communicated with 22re, and got their problems resolved.
Try it
Old 10-01-2018, 05:51 AM

I guess you guys forgot to read that I emailed them about where is my cold start injector replacement after their last response that I posted here. Like I said earlier, no response to my emails just crickets.

They were very responsive to all emails at first, but when it came down to actually replacing the cold start injector all I got was crickets. That's the same crap Ebay sellers, and other sellers do. Give them the old silent treatment, and they will go away.

I could have done a charge back very easily with my bank, but at the time I figured they would be honest about it, and send it when they got another cold start injector in stock. I had completely forgotten about it, and then this thread jogged my memory. I post what happened, and get stabbed at left and right, and then accused of not trying to make an effort to get a replacement which I did make an effort.

Some of you guys can't read, or have 22RE Performance stuck up your ass so far that anything negative about them is ignored. Telling the truth about what happened just opened the flood gate of criticism. I made an effort to get the problem resolved, but all I heard was the sound of silence. It does not bode well. The f.u.c.k.i.n.g end.

Last edited by snippits; 10-01-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22RE Performance Engine - Jim Putney