Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re No start/ click only problem

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re No start/ click only problem

This is another issue I'm having. About once a week I go to start my truck and I'm greeted by a click. Usually after a couple attempts it will start and I won't have another issue for a week or two. I'm on my third starter ( lifetime warranty), new battery, new alternator( needed anyway), changed starter relays, and ran new power and ground wires. When I turn the ignition on I can hear the relay and the starter both click but doesn't turn over. When it finally does there's no drag and it starts right up. Sometimes it will start if you whack the starter, sometimes jigging the key works and sometimes slamming the door throwing the keys and kicking the tire works. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Teebalz
This is another issue I'm having. About once a week I go to start my truck and I'm greeted by a click. Usually after a couple attempts it will start and I won't have another issue for a week or two. I'm on my third starter ( lifetime warranty), new battery, new alternator( needed anyway), changed starter relays, and ran new power and ground wires. When I turn the ignition on I can hear the relay and the starter both click but doesn't turn over. When it finally does there's no drag and it starts right up. Sometimes it will start if you whack the starter, sometimes jigging the key works and sometimes slamming the door throwing the keys and kicking the tire works. Any ideas?
check your ground or postive to starter sometimes theres enough connection to turn dash lights on but not enough to turn the starter over and from normal engine vibration try shiming your battery post with couple strips of aluminum foil and crank them down
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 PM

I'll recheck the connections. I ran all new wire since it started and it didn't help

I'm not a mechanic... I build boats...
Old 09-06-2014, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cleaning the contacts in the Starter Relay can help. If you just replaced the relay from a salvage yard, it is most likely just in as bad of a shape. Here is some info>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51746363
The following users liked this post:
JoeS (08-04-2022)
Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Cleaning the contacts in the Starter Relay can help. If you just replaced the relay from a salvage yard, it is most likely just in as bad of a shape. Here is some info>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51746363
Thanks I'll give that a shot.

I'm no genius, but I do drink once in a while.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Took my extra heater relay apart and cleaned it. Started right up, time will tell if it works for good.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Might be nice for some of us old-timers to know what year your vehicle is.
Some of them didn't come with a starter relay so often times the issue is with the ignition switch being able to conduct sufficient current to actuate the starter solenoid.

My 1988 4Runner didn't have a starter relay, and my 1991 pickup doesn't have one either; both have 22re engines, the 4Runner being manual and the pickup being automatic trans.

Some of the models with the starter relay require the ignition switch to source the current used to actuate the solenoid too, so even having a new relay may not solve the issue.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:00 PM

Yea I guess I should of specified. My truck is a 91. Kinda weird yours doesn't have one. I was under the impression they added it after 87 because of too much current passing through the ignition.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You say you replaced the ground and Positive battery Cables just what did you use?? You did upgrade to a bigger size cable ??

Just where do you have the grounds attached I have seen people with a issue depending just how the truck is parked.

What about the battery terminals are they clean and tight??

You must have very good hearing to hear those relays I am able to hear the Circuit opening relay close.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You say you replaced the ground and Positive battery Cables just what did you use?? You did upgrade to a bigger size cable ?? Just where do you have the grounds attached I have seen people with a issue depending just how the truck is parked. What about the battery terminals are they clean and tight?? You must have very good hearing to hear those relays I am able to hear the Circuit opening relay close.
The new wire I ran in 2ga. I'd have to go look at where exactly I grounded it to the block, and I ran an. 8ga to the fender. I was going to add a couple more grounds knowing that it can't hurt anything. Battery terminals are clean and tight yes, and it's all been replaced since I started having my issues. Where is the circuit opening relay in relation to the heater relay?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Heater relay, unless your wiring is hacked does not have any affect on cranking.

When this happens what do you hear clicking?

Circuit Opening Relay behind glove box?
Starter relay?

Do you hear your starter solenoid energetically click?
Keyword is "energetically". If it does, it could be bad solenoid contacts.
However, even after replacing your contacts, your starter relay may still be IMPROPERLY wired like MOST mid-86's to 88 ones with 22RE, manual tranny and with starter relays). abecedarian ^^^ is referring to this wiring flaw, where current to actuate starter solenoid runs through ignition switch (bad!).

Wanna share schematic of your cranking circuit so we can check?
Or you can check using this guide:

If it is improperly wired, you are still:
  • Subjecting your ST1 contacts to high current (verified around 12 amps) needed to energize starter solenoid, AND
  • Having lots of power drop across wiring from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch back to engine compartment, to starter solenoid.

If it is improperly wired, fix for that is here.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Heater relay, unless your wiring is hacked does not have any affect on cranking. When this happens what do you hear clicking? Circuit Opening Relay behind glove box? Starter relay? Do you hear your starter solenoid energetically click? Keyword is "energetically". If it does, it could be bad solenoid contacts. However, even after replacing your contacts, your starter relay may still be IMPROPERLY wired like MOST mid-86's to 88 ones with 22RE, manual tranny and with starter relays). abecedarian ^^^ is referring to this wiring flaw, where current to actuate starter solenoid runs through ignition switch (bad!). Wanna share schematic of your cranking circuit so we can check? Or you can check using this guide: If it is improperly wired, you are still:[*]Subjecting your ST1 contacts to high current (verified around 12 amps) needed to energize starter solenoid, AND[*]Having lots of power drop across wiring from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch back to engine compartment, to starter solenoid. If it is improperly wired, fix for that is here.
Meant to say starter relay not heater relay. Sounds like the starter relay is clicking and it sounds like the starter is as well. This has been happening for a while and there is definitely two different clicks I can hear. I've ran across what your talking about in a forum but haven't tried the fix yet. I guess I should.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by NRBTFOX
Meant to say starter relay not heater relay. Sounds like the starter relay is clicking and it sounds like the starter is as well. This has been happening for a while and there is definitely two different clicks I can hear. I've ran across what your talking about in a forum but haven't tried the fix yet. I guess I should.
Cool.
I'm curious to see what your truck has so I can update my list of affected and un-affected models.

My list To date:

AFFECTED MODELS:
May 1986 to 1988 4Runners and trucks with 22R-E
1989-1992 4Runner V6, and 1989-1990 Pickup V6 Thanks, DrCreosote, for sharing your schematic.
Would appreciate if members with different year-models could verify theirs as well.

NOT AFFECTED MODEL:
According to this schematic, the 1988 4Runner, V6 3VZ does not have the wiring error.

Trucks made before May 1986 may not have the starter relay so this does not apply. Examples:
Those made earlier than May Like richiegrich's Feb, and KidV's do not have starter relay.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Cool. I'm curious to see what your truck has so I can update my list of affected and un-affected models. My list To date: AFFECTED MODELS: May 1986 to 1988 4Runners and trucks with 22R-E 1989-1992 4Runner V6, and 1989-1990 Pickup V6 Thanks, DrCreosote, for sharing your schematic. Would appreciate if members with different year-models could verify theirs as well. NOT AFFECTED MODEL: According to this schematic, the 1988 4Runner, V6 3VZ does not have the wiring error. Trucks made before May 1986 may not have the starter relay so this does not apply. Examples: Those made earlier than May Like richiegrich's Feb, and KidV's do not have starter relay.
I will go look as soon as my wife gets home. I'm watching my kid right now. At the risk of looking stupid, what plug is that so I don't have to look for it long. Haha.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM

May 1986 to 1988 4Runners and trucks with 22R-E
I assume you mean build date here? My 86 22RE (built Oct 1985) does have the starter relay. Your wiring mod also cured my click-but-no-start issue. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM

I will go look as soon as my wife gets home. I'm watching my kid right now. At the risk of looking stupid, what plug is that so I don't have to look for it long. Haha.
LOL! No problem. You did not say what year-model you have.
Plug is the one connected to the starter relay. The one in picture is the side on the harness.

Cheers!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM

LOL! No problem. You did not say what year-model you have. Plug is the one connected to the starter relay. The one in picture is the side on the harness. Cheers!
I have a 1991 pickup with a 22re. It's a California model if that makes any difference to you. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Last edited by NRBTFOX; 09-08-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Rad4runner... After cussing a bit I've edited this post.... Where is this plug?

Last edited by NRBTFOX; 09-08-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Rad4runner... After cussing a bit I've edited this post.... Where is this plug?
LOL!

On mid-1986 to 1988 22RE's it's here...
Name:  Starter_Relay-1.jpg
Views: 15687
Size:  132.0 KB

it may be different on your 1991. Your 1991 may have the starter relay inside a fuse block.
IF different on your 1991, need to find your Factory Service Manual (FSM) for location of the starter relay, or hopefully other owners could chime in.

If you do not have this accessible connector, just try connecting the spade terminal on your starter solenoid directly to the battery. Safe way is using this set up.

If this makes your solenoid actuate more energetically than using your ignition switch, AND consistently cranks the starter, then highly probable that your truck has the wiring issue I mention. Check schematic to verify.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:37 PM

You lucky dog... Yea my relay is in a different spot. It's a little more inaccessible. Drivers side kick panel. After un bolting the fuse block It looks like the wires go straight into the harness. Not the best spot to check for a big guy.
Attached Thumbnails 22re No start/ click only problem-image-1589350617.jpg  

Last edited by NRBTFOX; 09-08-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22re No start/ click only problem