86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re misses under load and dies.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 22re misses under load and dies.

I have an 89 pickup. About a year ago the engine blew and i replaced it with another 22re motor out of an 88 toyota 4runner. I got it all put back together and it ran like a dream for about 2 weeks. but then one day it just started acting up and would cut out and die when you touched the gas. now, i got it back to the point to where it idles great but it seems like once it gets to a certain rpm it starts missing. I can drive starting out slow in first gear and then when it starts to miss i can shift into 2nd and it will repeat the process, but only up to 3rd gear when it hits 30 mph and dies out. When in neutral and holding constant pressure on the gas it just revs up and down. Im dumb founded. Ive reset the computer, it has a new fuel filter, and it seems to have plenty of pressure coming from the fuel pump. I miss my truck and any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Check all spark plug wires are intact and firmly connected. They can wiggle loose but at first glance look fine. Make sure no water/moisture in the distributer cap. Maybe replace distributor.

No head gasket symptoms right?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 PM

I have seen weak coils that will let the engine start but once you apply gas they die. Check coil, TPS, fuel pressure. You might want to make sure all the injectors have power and are firing. Don't just start throwing money at it. All these test can be done with a multi meter ohms,volts etc. You can buy one of those for $10 to $20. Get a Haynes or Chilton manual. it will have specifications for the items i listed above.

Last edited by Gordo; 02-07-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Before you run to replace the distributor, check timing and check the air gap on the distributor.

Try checking the TPS, it could be on its way out, sensing idle fine, but then as the arm moves towards WOT it could be out of spec.

BTW, FSM's can be downloaded via ncttora.com and run circles around haynes manuals
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have you checked for any stored trouble codes?
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM

Angry

Actually I have the whole 88 4runner that i have been able to take parts off and try on the truck and most of the parts are the exact same so ive been able to avoid much spending so far. I did give it a tune up so it does have brand new spark plugs and all the wires are connected. The distributer has already been replaced. How would i go about checking the coils and TPS? Also, the diagnostic port on the truck was all gummed up and not able to use ever since i got the truck so im not able to use that.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jhopson7
Also, the diagnostic port on the truck was all gummed up and not able to use ever since i got the truck so im not able to use that.
Priority #1 is getting the diagnostic port cleaned up so you can use it. You could have an AFM crapping out that is shuting off the fuel pump. You could have stored codes like 4crawler mentioned. You could have shorting across the pins causing unorthodox results.

Also you said you have had problems with this motor since about 2 weeks after you replaced it, did the motor every run totally right? Could this be a motor issue from the beginning? How's the oil? Got chocolate milk or oil consumption? Is the fuel pump running? When did you last change the fuel filter? You said you worked on it for a bit and now have a decent idle. What did you do to get a decent idle?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM

The motor ran perfect with no problems whatsoever for the first two weeks. The fuel pump is working and has plenty of pressure. I just changed the fuel filter 2 days ago. Changed the spark plugs and checked the wires. Reset the computer. Changed the distributer. Put new battery terminals on and a new battery. new O2 sensor. adjusted the throttle. I beleive thats all i have done if i can remimber right. It had all new fluids when i first put the motor in of course. And it ran like a dream for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden it just started doing this, so any doubts i may have about hooking everything back up right kind of dissapear. I dont know man im confused.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Also, the truck is for sale if anyone is interested. Its a great truck, just obviously needs to get this one problem fixed.