Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE intake mod question about supra afm

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE intake mod question about supra afm

Hello All,

So I was inspired by the supra mod guys to go out and obtain a 1982 supra AFM in the hopes of possibly getting better gas mileage and being able to climb over the hills in socal in 5th gear, as has been mentioned. However, now that I have the afm, a spectre cone filter, and 3" tubing with an adapter that fits my 22RE stock throttle body, I have a few questions before and after I do this mod:

1. Before I install the AFM, do I need to reset the ECU and if so, which fuse controls that? Is it the same as the EFI fuse located under the dash on the drivers side?
2. Is this really plug n play with a stock configuration, or am I going to be running rich and need to adjust the AFM accordingly?
3. Would I need to adjust the idle after the mod to accomodate the change in air flow to the engine, assuming the fuel ratio stays static?

Assuming all goes well and I install the 82 AFM successfully, I wonder if I really will see better gas mileage and/or better power at high RPMs up hills...based on the research I've done so far, it seems the following need to be present before I really see any noticeable gains.

1. Larger throttle body
2. headers
3. performance exhaust, like flowmaster 40 series.

I've seen multiple posts on multiple forums talking to the need to upgrade all of the components above, and even seen guys saying "why do this to a 22re, just swap it for a more powerful engine if you're going to do all this work?"...let's assume I want to keep the 22re - can I get a rating for the above components when coupled with an upgraded AFM, in order of most applicable to least applicable? Also please correct me on any of the above if I need it. I'm relatively green on engine modifications (obviously, perhaps) and I'm just trying to educate myself and the next noob that comes along and searches for supra AFM mod on the forum. Thanks in advance -

In case it's necessary, I'm running a 1986 4Runner 22re manual all stock. Replaced engine block with all new timing chain and head gasket after the original head gasket blew out on me in 2008. Just passed california smog, so looking to make the afm mod after that.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
1) You shouldn't have to do anything with the ECU
2) Yes it's plug and play
3) You shouldn't have to adjust anything unless you want too

The t/b, header and hi flow exhaust and the supra mod all make a huge difference together. The intake itself will help, but to get the full potential outta the whole shebang everything makes the difference. Think about it, your increasing your air in, shouldn't you increase your air out? The head is only gonna flow what it can, so I guess it's just how fast you want it in and out...

I mean, you HAVE all the intake stuff put it on. You could also swap the intake and battery around to help too.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive done this swap on my 86 4Runner and it is plug and play. You can also use an AFM from a 5MGE engine, i got my AFM from a mid 80`s cresida and it was plug and play. I also have a downey header on my 22RE also, and someday when i can afford it i would like to add a larger throttle body.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluePile

The t/b, header and hi flow exhaust and the supra mod all make a huge difference together. The intake itself will help, but to get the full potential outta the whole shebang everything makes the difference. Think about it, your increasing your air in, shouldn't you increase your air out? The head is only gonna flow what it can, so I guess it's just how fast you want it in and out...

I mean, you HAVE all the intake stuff put it on. You could also swap the intake and battery around to help too.
Very well said VP.

OP. The Supra mod makes better (more) air coming in. You need to move that air out also. The choke points will be either the TB or the exhaust manifold, or both. The header is an easy upgrade. Couple that with the Supra mod and you'll feel an increase in hill climb, hell the Supra mod by itself did that for me and the header made it that much better.

As far as MPG goes...... I've added a lot of weight to my rig, a couple of lockers, 200lb camping box, hard mount cargo rack with a fuel can/water can/high lift/shovel/axe (about 150lbs), recovery box (about 90lbs), full sized spare, 31's, etc...

Before all the "camping" mods and with the Supra I was pulling about 24mpg, with the top off and the header it was up around 29mpg. Now I'm at 20mpg(ish) on a DD.

It's a toss up really. Every mod you do to gain some mpg and some hp makes it easier to load more crap into the rig.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
It's a toss up really. Every mod you do to gain some mpg and some hp makes it easier to load more crap into the rig.
Thank you Mr Pres!!

hehehehe, yeah, probably why I get a solid 16 mpg! LOL!!! I might get 18 on a good day though...
Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply man, this is a logical response and verifies what I was already thinking. Very helpful. Quick Question: You mention above that I can swap the intake and battery - can you briefly expand on why that is beneficial? Since the battery side is closer to the throttle body, does that improve air flow? Assuming I do go ahead and switch the battery around, what would be the best way to extend the battery cables and plug for the AFM?

Again, GRACIAS! I've turned to this forum many times for help and am so glad you guys are here.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Your thoughts are right.

There's no wrong way to do the wiring as long as it's right. Going with a cone filter on the drivers side will suck air from inside the engine bay AND the fact the exhaust manifold or header is right there doesn't help. Also, the intake tube travels over your nice warm radiator...Will it run without the battery/intake swap? Yes, just fine. I would create a box around the filter though.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Very well said VP.

OP. The Supra mod makes better (more) air coming in. You need to move that air out also. The choke points will be either the TB or the exhaust manifold, or both. The header is an easy upgrade. Couple that with the Supra mod and you'll feel an increase in hill climb, hell the Supra mod by itself did that for me and the header made it that much better.

As far as MPG goes...... I've added a lot of weight to my rig, a couple of lockers, 200lb camping box, hard mount cargo rack with a fuel can/water can/high lift/shovel/axe (about 150lbs), recovery box (about 90lbs), full sized spare, 31's, etc...

Before all the "camping" mods and with the Supra I was pulling about 24mpg, with the top off and the header it was up around 29mpg. Now I'm at 20mpg(ish) on a DD.

Thanks for the reply - you say you were getting 24mpg with the supra - is that with the headers too? Just out of curiosity, what headers have you installed?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Very well said VP.

Quick question regarding headers - on LCE's site it says they are illegal on emission controlled vehicles - since I'm driving in southern california, this will be a problem for me, right? do you guys with headers just not live in states with emission control laws? Or do you remove the headers before you get smogged every two years?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Your thoughts are right.

There's no wrong way to do the wiring as long as it's right. Going with a cone filter on the drivers side will suck air from inside the engine bay AND the fact the exhaust manifold or header is right there doesn't help. Also, the intake tube travels over your nice warm radiator...Will it run without the battery/intake swap? Yes, just fine. I would create a box around the filter though.
I read this thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-lives-205462/

it looks like he also built a box as you mentioned so that sounds like good advice - I guess it would be to protect the cone filter from the elements? In any event, I'll work on that as well. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I still run the stock configuration air cleaner with a modified top. Don't expect miracles- bottom line...it's still a 4cyl. Photo is a template- I'm getting a ss 3in pipe made- less heat soak than alum. Sending out a TB to Maxbore also. Then that's all she wrote for this truck, next one will either have the 2.7L or a turbo(diesal?).
Attached Thumbnails 22RE intake mod question about supra afm-picture-001z.jpg  

Last edited by dfarr67; 03-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bpeterson
I read this thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-lives-205462/

it looks like he also built a box as you mentioned so that sounds like good advice - I guess it would be to protect the cone filter from the elements? In any event, I'll work on that as well. Thanks
Well, you could put something together like that or completely fab something up. Either a complete box or just a two sided heat shield.

Name:  091009_183246.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  091020_151416.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  100116_180644.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  96.3 KB

Last edited by BigBluePile; 03-15-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dfarr67
Actually I still run the stock configuration air cleaner with a modified top. Don't expect miracles- bottom line...it's still a 4cyl. Photo is a template- I'm getting a ss 3in pipe made- less heat soak than alum. Sending out a TB to Maxbore also. Then that's all she wrote for this truck, next one will either have the 2.7L or a turbo(diesal?).
I see now, you don't have a cone filter - thanks for correcting me - I'll look for your pictures once you have the final product finished. I definitely won't expect miracles, just trying to make my already awesome truck even better without tearing it up. I'll get a lot of mileage (education-wise) out of all the comments you guys have posted on this thread.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

I'd make something like this, because this is what I'm recommending to another Supra mod user and is what I would do. If you don't plan on blasting thru water and mud a full box isn't necessary.

You could always just do this:

Last edited by BigBluePile; 03-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Makes sense logan - yes you're right, I'm not planning on blasting through mud and water with this truck, so I could get away with not fabbing a whole box for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Just to update, I've installed the supra AFM with the cone air filter just using the stock intake hoses, and already I see a performance increase. I'm working on the airbox/battery swap next, as that seems to be the best way to go about this, and I'll let you know how that goes as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Cool! Have fun!