Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE-High Idle Problems (and a few others)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22RE-High Idle Problems (and a few others)

I have an 87 runner with the 22RE. It doesn't high idle at all in the morning when its cold. Crank it up, idles at 1000. Don't know what this might be. Once warmed up, idle sometimes hangs around 1500. I think it may be a dashpot problem. Just wondering how I can resolve this high idle issue. I need it to warm up a little faster. I think my temp. sending unit is bad to begin with, as it only registers about 1/8 of the way up the gauge after driving in 80 degree heat, so I know that can be right.

The idles sticking doesn't bother me, as I think i have resolved (or know how to resolve) that problem. But I like my high idle in the morning.

Another problem I've been experiencing lately is diffuculty starting when its been sitting in the sun all day. Like when I leave from work, it'll turn over for about 10 seconds before starting, and even then I have to feather the gas, as it stumbles at about 200 rpm for about 5 seconds. I have no idea what this could be. I thought maybe a fuel leak causing the pressure to drop, but today I left the key for a few seconds before starting it, no change. I have absolutely no idea what this could be.

Any help with these two problems would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm, that problem with sitting in the sun is odd. The only thing I can think of with my experience (or lack of) would have to do with the charcoal emmisions canister that usually sits in the passenger corner of the engine bay.

When its left in the sun, it can leak..Im not sure how that would effect your starting though..Thats just the only thing I can think of that has to do with sitting in the sun for periods of time.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 AM

thanks for the help.

any other input? what about the high idle (or lack thereof)?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM

bttt...any other ideas?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 PM

I'd check the TPS calibration and EFI temp sender. You can remove the dashpot from the throttle body to clean and check it. It isn't absolutely required to make the engine run, just primarily for emissions and makes shifting smoother since the engine revs down slower. Oh, also make sure you have the cooling system burped, an air bubble can cause issues with the idle. Also don't forget to check for vacuum leaks, those are a huge headache.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:15 AM

thanks for the input!

could the ECT be bad and not throw a code? my temp. reading way low made me think that sensor may be bad, but the CEL isn't on.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by 93ToyKid
thanks for the input!

could the ECT be bad and not throw a code? my temp. reading way low made me think that sensor may be bad, but the CEL isn't on.
It can be bad and not throw a code. The engine does not necessarily know if the temp sender is sending the wrong temp, it only knows if the ECT completely failed. The dash temp does not share the same temp sender as the EFI, there's a second sender for the gauge. If your dash temp is reading low then your problem might be the thermostat is stuck open and the engine is not warming up completely. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 93ToyKid
I have an 87 runner with the 22RE. It doesn't high idle at all in the morning when its cold. Any help with these two problems would be greatly appreciated!
The Auxiliary Air Valve controls cold fast idle. In 84 and 85, the air valve was a stand alone unit, located under the throttle body. Starting in 86, it was incorporated in the throttle body, in the upper portion of the throttle blade. Most of the time, the orifice just gets clogged with dirt and blow-by fumes from the crankcase system. Try cleaning it out before looking too deep into the problem.

I'm having similar issues with excessive cranking in temps over 80 degrees F. I think I narrowed it down the coolant temperature sensor (or water thermo sensor as Toyota calls it). I have a new one on the way and I'll let you know how it works out once I replace it.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help all. I'm probably gonna order the temp. sensor tomorrow. When my gauge started reading low, I thought it may be thermostat too, so I put a new one in it. Still reads exactly the same. Either I was unlucky enough to get a dud, or the sending unit for the gauge is going bad. Guess I'll replace that one too.

As far as the fast idle goes, I'm still stumped. I actually put an entirely different throttle body on there just to see if it helped anything (fast idle, throttle sticking). I cleaned it out VERY well before putting it on, all the passages and orifices, so I'm fairly certain its good to go. But still no high idle. For that matter, the throttle still seems to be sticking on ocassion. I'm certain its not the butterfly valve sticking, because i cleaned it very well. And its not the cable, or the dashpot, as i don't even have it making contact with the dashpot, just to rule that out. I'm stumped. The old throttle body would stick at 1500 when you let off, and would go to normal when you popped the throttle. This one sits at about 1800. Should i take it apart and clean it again? I have absolutely no idea what the deal is. I was sure it was the dashpot, but now that I've ruled that out, I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any more help, I think tomorrow I'm gonna order the sensors, and do a Seafoam treatment throught the PCV hose just for good measure.