Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE head gasket & timing chain overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22RE head gasket & timing chain overhaul

So, I've accepted it. My 94 pickup that I've owned for 2 or 3 weeks blew a head gasket. It's blowing a steady stream of white smoke (even though the engine runs fine) and is even blowing some white smoke from the head gasket at the back of the engine.

So, here we go. I want to leave the engine in the truck. I plan on replacing the timing chain and head gasket all at once. I plan to take the head to a machine shop to have it re-planed and checked for cracks etc. I'll have the valves/springs looked at too. I also plan to have the injectors overhauled too while I'm in there.

To start off, I need a parts list. First I need to get a Chilton manual for this! I need to get a top end kit with a head gasket and all the other gaskets I'll need. Where's the best place to get that? I need to get a new timing chain and guides, where can I get this (and maybe something better than stock)? And then, what else might I need? I'm new to Toyotas and have never pulled a head before but I know how to swing a wrench.

My neighbor is awesome and said he would loan me his garage. This is the same neighbor who is going to help me build my own garage come spring (awesome). He doesn't mind me using his space but I don't want to be in there all winter! Any idea on how many weeks this may take me? I figure I will work weekends and evenings on it by myself. If things get crazy I can ask my bro-in-law for help but I would rather not. He is a mechanic though and could probably hammer this out on a Saturday! Oh well, I look at it as a challenge.

Wish me luck and tell me if I do something stupid!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
a couple days if you can get the head and injectors all done
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by skoti89
a couple days if you can get the head and injectors all done
Cool. That sounds pretty optimistic, I'll see how it goes!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM

LC engineering or engine builder sells good quality parts at a good price. I've done this job several times. Good idea is to keep all your bolts seperate and labeled. On your timing cover alone there's like 15 or more bolts. Also the oil pump bolts ARE different lengths. If you them in the wrong spot a longer one could go through too much and hit your chain tensioner.

you're going to need a timing chain kit( tensioner, new cam and crank sprockets, new chain, and two new dampners. Get a kit with a drivers side steel dampner) Timing cover gasket set w/ oil pump seal(should come with water pump gasket). Also get a head gasket set with new head bolts(they stretch when torked down so I dont recomend re using your old ones). Your oil pump and water pump are on top of your timing cover, so it can't hurt to replace them. Napa's Tru-flow water pump are a goo quality, good price and lifetime warranty. Napa's import line, Altrom, are Aisin oil pumps(toyota OEM). I always cheated and didn't drop the oil pan or take the head off, but taking the head off, obvisously you should replace the intake and exhaust gaskets. You can probably find some sort of top end gasket kit. It also couldn't hurt to have the machine shop check out your rocker arm assembly and check out your cam. maybe new cam bearings. Im just rambleing now.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Wow, awesome! That should get me started on a parts list, thanks. Barring the unforeseen, how much we looking at here money-wise? A few hundred?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM

You might also need a new timing cover. They're only made of aluminum. Check it when you have it off. A common spot for them to crack is right underneath your cam gear. There is one 12mm bolt that goes there vertically. Its the only bolt on top that is vertical. People don't see this bolt because its usually in a pool of oil under the cam gear. They start yanking on the cover to get it off thinking they have all the bolts out. The PO of my 4runner did this and repaired it with silicone.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by skoti89
The PO of my 4runner did this and repaired it with silicone.
Wow, genius.

Thanks though, I read about that bolt on another post here. Good heads-up. Speaking of, would you advise using the starter to break that infamous 19mm bolt on the crank? I've seen instructions for doing it that way.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM

http://engnbldr.com/Build-A-Kit_85-95.html

http://www.lceperformance.com/

I've honestly never done it that way. I always had air tools at my shop. Hopefully someone will chime in because 4crawler.com has a pretty good write up on the timing chain replacement

Last edited by skoti89; 11-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Engnbldr.com for the timing chain kit. Get the metal backed guides.
I used a fel-pro headgasket kit, with all the gaskets, for around 90 bucks.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:22 PM

Wow, engnbldr is cheap!
Full gasket set $59
Oil pump $48
TC set w/ d side steel rail $56
TC cover $48
That's if I even need all that. They sell the head bolts too?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 PM

You won't need them. They are reusable, and can be cleaned up with carb cleaner if they're gunked up.
If theyre pitted out or something, then thats fine to replace.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Good idea to replace my water pump while I'm in there?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM

they're cheap, around 35 bucks, i'd buy one if it looks toast on the inside.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM

I did the engnbldr 4 piece al-a-cart and replaced everything including his headbolts but used AZ felpro gasket kit for almost everything else, but used OEM head gasket...
Old 11-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by john4wd
I did the engnbldr 4 piece al-a-cart and replaced everything including his headbolts but used AZ felpro gasket kit for almost everything else, but used OEM head gasket...
Hey man, I'm in Hammond IN! Not too far... How much was that complete gasket kit from Auto Zone?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by thedrewski86
Hey man, I'm in Hammond IN! Not too far... How much was that complete gasket kit from Auto Zone?
O'Reillys had it for 85 or 90 when i did mine.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 PM

go to toyota for a head gasket. 60 bucks i paid at the dealer for it. i figure if its affordable then get it (the first one lasted 20 years right?) all others on mine are felpro or similar and work fine.

the engnbldr kit i got is so far holding up (been close to 2 years) except for the crank seal. i dont know if its cheap, was incorrectly installed, or what but a new one (same depth) is holding oil like a champ.

replace water pump. my t/chain head gasket took a few weeks because of insufficient funds, and i drank too much during dissasembly. when i finally got it back together, i filled oil, filled water, and watched it all piss out the weep hole of my previously perfect water pump. just by a new one so you dont have a mental breakdown like i did. im guessing the seals must have dried out while it sat.

good luck, and i found forums, online write-ups to be far better than my chilton
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 AM

So I got my parts list together. I'm getting everything through engnbldr: gasket set, tc w/ steel guides, tc cover, oil pump, and water pump.

I'm taking my head to a machine shop to get it checked/decked etc. and I'll have them adjust the valves and rocker assembly.

All my misc parts I'll get from Auto Zone as I need them. I'm gonna put on some iridium plugs and MSD wires, probably throw on a new PCV, fuel filter, and air filter.

That should about cover it! Now I need to get my neighbor's garage...
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Started the tear down at 9 this morning. Got the upper intake and valve cover off. Getting ready to pull the plugs and belts so I can get to TDC and pull my distributor.

I was glad to see the chocolate milkshake where my oil should be! The only thing that worried me before was that my oil looked clean; now I know for sure my HG is shot. I see some small grooves in my TC cover but nothing terrible.

I'm posting my pics to Flickr right now so those will be up momentarily...
Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 AM

PICS!!

Seem 'em all here

Here's the milkshake

Groovy (get it? )

Doesn't look too abused over all...

Last edited by thedrewski86; 11-12-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 22RE head gasket & timing chain overhaul