86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!

Can anyone send me some references to changing a head gasket on a 22re?
Also the timing chain and sprockets since I will be taking the whole darn thing apart!
already saw this one:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nt-pics-88722/

Anything helps...
also what tools will I need? any special ones? Any repair manuals or links to how much torque certain bolts are??
I'm assuming I will need a torque wrench...?
Do i need to replace all the gaskets as I go along??

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm quite new to fixing my car myself but I'm loving every minute of it!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Definitely do a search on here, you'll find more than you need. A Hayne's and Chilton's manual helps a whole lot too. I didn't need any tools out of the ordinary. I used a torque wrench on the head bolts. Take pictures and label vacuum hoses as you go too.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Is haynes or chiltons manual better?
As in do you prefer one over the other?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Sorry how rude of me,......THANKS FOR RESPONDING!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
both manuals good, like he said tape and mark everything you take apart and take pics, and or find some good pics on here,,,,,,, remember allen bolt under thermostat, and bolt in head (front) under oil pool, go slow , don't drink beer and change out your fuel filter or relocate it on fender on left side, good luck
Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and "clean, clean, clean"
oil or debris around the head bolt area WILL affect things.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks!! I was just reading that my timing cover may be chewed through???
Basically i have antifreeze in my oil and I thought it would be my head gasket since the radiator cracked and it overheated.
Could it just be a timing chain and cover problem?????????
Any other possibilities??
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a thread where I posted a bunch of links to other threads, service manuals, write-ups etc. Also a bunch of other tips from other folks.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-help-178123/
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
PS torque the lines where fuel goes in n out of filter and on fuel rail, got mine together started it and, Holy Benzin bat man, fuel was pissin out all over, what a pita to tight'n m up, but i did get m all, no fuel leakin, she runs good
Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM

Factory service manuals
http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM

Tips from my experience doing mine (most of which I researched on here and elsewhere before I started).

Pull the head with the intake and exhaust manifolds still attached. Sure it's a bit heavier, but it's easier to remove the manifolds on the bench than under the hood.

Once you have the head bolts out, tap the bolt holes in the block. There will be grime and crap in there. If you don't tap them/clean them out, you won't get good torque specs when installing the new bolts. And definitely use new head bolts.

As mentioned a couple of time above, label everything as you take it apart. All hoses, electrical connections, etc. I used masking tape and a marker. Also, use ziploc bags to keep nuts, bolts, washers, etc. Label them using the marker.

Have the head checked and milled before you reinstall it. If it got warped you need to true it up before you reinstall it.

I used the www.engnbldr.com head gasket kit. It was super complete. Had some parts/gaskets that I didn't even need. Worth every penny, and cheaper than most other kits anyway. (I had also used an engnbldr timing chain kit years before, and it is awesome, too.)

Be careful of the injector harnesses. They get brittle and break easily. One of mine is currently held tight via zip ties.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM

Thanks everybody. As for the timing chain what do i need to replace? The cover and chain? sprocket too?
Obviously if there is damage replace it, but just a little more insight from all of ya'll with experience.
Im 18 and finally getting down and dirty with cars wooohooooooo!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM

It seems unlikely from the little bit that you have described so far that its the t chain cover, but not impossible. You will likely have to tear it apart and see what you've got first. I'd recommend parts from engnbldr. Ted has a great reputation on the Toyota boards and a lifetime of experience. I bought a head gasket and bolt set from him and the quality was top notch. Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...1%7C240%3A1318

He also has various kits with more and more parts. Just depends on what you need. Like these:

How much do you know about this engine? Have you owned it for very long? Describe how you got to where you are and likely you can get better advice.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the links!!!!!
I will definitely be getting my parts from there/him
I have owned the truck for about 3 1/2 years. About 1 1/2 years ago I had a rebuilt engine put in. That's when I didn't know too much about cars. I had a blown head gasket before, but that's when I got the rebuilt engine put in.
Trying to learn as much as I can before I even attempt taking it apart
Old 05-31-2009, 09:00 PM

What's that stuff??? umm i think its silicone or something like it, like a gasket glue type of thing???
rtv???

Well that stuff.....once you correct me......Should I use it on all the gaskets I'm putting on or none or only some specfic ones??
I've read that you shouldn't put anything on the head gasket.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 PM

Yeah, rtv. Toyota has their own stuff you might see in the manuals as you read them called FIPG. (form in place gasket) It's essentially rtv. That only goes on a couple of spots under the head gasket and they are lined out in the procedure in the manual. If you end up doing the timing chain cover you will also need to replace it on the oil pan where it meets up with the t chain cover (or the whole thing if you decide to remove the oil pan completely)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM

Also, on the assumption that your rebuilt engine was done right, it would seem unlikely that the timing chain/cover/guide/tensioner would be shot already.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Does anyone know if I should drain my oil before starting??
Or just the antifreeze???
Or neither?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:00 PM

Have you read the procedure in the manual, links to which whokrz and I have both given you? Step #2 in cylinder head removal "drain coolant". As far as the oil, I think you got good advice in the other thread you started about this.

Please help us to help you by stating what job you are planning to do. You have mentioned HG and timing chain cover, but not which job or both that you have decided on. Also, the t chain cover can be done with the oil pan removed or left in place. Again, let us know your plan so folks know best how to advise you.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Question.

Im doing my hg right now, and i want to know what i can use to clean the head and everything else( brake clean?)

I also need to know what i can do about this....

Quick Reply: 22re head gasket help!!!!!!!!