Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE has several issues....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE has several issues....any suggestions?

My friend and I are having some issues with his 87 Runner and want to see if any of you gurus' can help us solve some of the symptoms he is having. Engine has 270k btw.

1.We cannot seem to bleed the rear brake lines. We bench bled the system several times and also bled from the LSPV to see if we're getting fluids from the rear but when we bleed from the nipple, it barely has a few drops coming out.

2. When he drives the car and applies the brake, his idle drops and surges.

3. His engine can't rev pass 4,000 RPM and acts as if it has a rev limiter or something. His engine also seems to have a knocking noise, which makes me believe that he has either a bad head or a bad block. He says that it doesn't knock when it's warmed up but I believe that the knocking could be the reason why his engine cannot pass 4,000RPM.

We checked the AFM, TPS, and ECU but nothing seems to check through. Any helps or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance fellas.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, the 22re is not a "winder", its low rpm truck engine. I have never spun mine past 4k in 23 years that I can remember so I do not think thats an issue.

The brakes could be a failed brake booster letting all kinds of un-metered air into the manifold. Block the vacuum line with a bolt and drive it carefully around the block. it should be very hard to stop but the engine should run fine. Check your brake lines running down the passenger side for kinks. it could be the LSVP is just jammed up with 24yrs of muck and corrosion products. There are bleeders on each caliper and wheel clyinder so the LSVP is not that critical, its just a high point in the rear system. I use a vacuum brake bleeder so I generally do not have air issues. the front and rear brake line join in the right front wheel well over the chassis, so if you have air in the system it can be anywhere.

Bleed them from farthest to closest. RR, LR, RF,LF. if you cannot open the bleeders you have to replace that wheel clyinder.

The knocking is probably piston slap from high miles, mine has 328,000 and still going, but getting tired.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I guess we check the brake booster and see where that takes us.