Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Code Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Code Issue

I'm trying to diagnose my check engine light and I know about the jumper wire and how to read the codes, but I'm getting just a constant blinking. Tried clearing codes but it persists. Does anyone know what this means?! Video attached and vehicle specs below

91 4Runner 4WD 22RE

Also, side question, does anyone know if a bad fuel pump will throw a code?

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenMonster7
I'm trying to diagnose my check engine light and I know about the jumper wire and how to read the codes, but I'm getting just a constant blinking. Tried clearing codes but it persists. Does anyone know what this means?! Video attached and vehicle specs below

91 4Runner 4WD 22RE

Also, side question, does anyone know if a bad fuel pump will throw a code?

Thanks in advance
Can not open that video. A steady flash pause repeat is code #1 all normal. There also is not a fuel pump code.
​​​​​​
Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 PM

It flashes at about 1.0-1.5 flashes per second with no detectable pauses. And I try clearing the code by removing my EFI fuse and then reinserting but the check engine light is still there and reads the same when I jump TE1 and E1. Any other ideas?
Old 12-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
As Co_94_PU said (I thought pretty clearly), you have NO code. Flashing 2x/second is normal system operation. There is nothing to "clear."
http://web.archive.org/web/201410310...26diagnosi.pdf

If you have a check engine light (with the engine running), but no code, then the most likely cause is a problem with the ECM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 PM

Hmmmm well maybe you could help me further. Engine turns but doesn't start. Check engine light on but, code reads "no code". Plugs changed. Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
OK first some basics. When you turn the ignition switch from off to run/on the warning lights in the dash light up. This is so you know they are working. If they don't come on change them ASAP and preferably don't drive it untill you do. They will shut off once the computer receives a run signal, that is once the engines running if anything stays lit then it is a problem.

You need to explain the situation in-depth. What happened, in what situations. What tests you have done. Any recent work done ECT...

Given the information contained herein. It is trash you should pay me 400$ to haul it away
Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 AM

I did a poor job of explaining the entire situation before hand in hopes to get a quick fix. Im not a professional mechanIc have never really worked on vehicles past changing my oil and doing most the regular preventative maintenance myself so I'm trying to learn on the fly. So I guess here it is from the beginning. I purchased this 91 4Runner this past fall in need of a 4wd vehicle. It has about 136000 on it. It ran fine, fired up just fine on cold days. Has a small oil leak, which I have yet to determine the location, but I don't think was the cause of the problem. On the day of dying I was leaving a parking lot and it just died and the check engine light popped on. Tried cranking it again, nothing. Check under the hood and underneath the vehicle and nothing leaking other than the above noted leak that I knew about before. Towed back my buddy's garage and we thought logically it was either spark or fuel. First, replaced all the spark plugs and check the spark on all and they sparked fine. Checked the fuses, they good. My buddy thought it was the fuel pump and he has more car mechanic experience than me so I took his advice and we dropped the tank and put a new one in. This was before I knew you could check the pump by jumping two of the diagnostic ports (I'm an idiot I know). Keep in mind this is all with the check engine light on and with the codes read, it just blinks constantly or reads "no code". All put back together and tried starting it but same thing. We found a new (or maybe previously undetected) knocking sound from the air flow sensor so we tried taking the plug out, but I think we shorted something because we tripped the EFI fuse and the fuel pump turns on when key is in the "on" position. "Good" news is that codes now actually read, in which I get 22, 24, 31, and 41, which from my chart is basically all sensor problems. So now I'm at the point where I think it's the ECU and my fuel pump turns on when it shouldn't . Any ideas anyone?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Uh, oh.

When you tried to remove the plug from the Air Flow Sensor, did you remove the screws?

Old 12-20-2016, 01:21 PM

Yeah we did.. we done messed up... what happens if you remove those screws