Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re 5 Speed pops out of reverse and sometimes gets stuck

Old 08-28-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re 5 Speed pops out of reverse and sometimes gets stuck

Hey guys, a little back story, I just did a bunch of work on my truck. I added duals (already had the 4.7 case, just added doubler and adapter). I also changed the clutch + flywheel and replaced the transmission (old tranny had bearing noise). The transmission (w56) was purchased off of craigslist from a gentlemen who said the transmission was previously rebuilt by a professional at a shop and has been sitting on his shelf ever since, the outside of it was very clean, although it was missing a shifter seat, which i ordered from Marlin and installed it.

Anyways, I finally got my drive shafts remade and I bolted everything back together and took it for a spin. Immediately, I put it into reverse to back out of my driveway and i was being easy on it since it was the first test, and the truck started to back out of my driveway then the shifter half popped itself out of reverse and into a position that acted as neutral but was not like dead center. I tried to put it into reverse again and it just does the same thing, engages fine, starts to back up, then it just kind of pops out. Every other gear works, it does seem to make some slight noise when its in neutral with the clutch out, but not sure if that is just normal or not. Also, twice now it has gotten stuck in reverse, It has a lot of play in it but it wont go out. I had to turn the truck off, and roll the tires a little bit and I was able to get it out, into neutral. It doesn't really make any grinding other than a little bit when it pops out. I am really hoping it was actually rebuilt and its just shifter related.

Anyways, I am trying to diagnose what this issue could be. I tried searching but literally every thread said something different. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could try?

I took pics of the shifter just make sure anyone doesnt see anything obvious https://flic.kr/p/LcXxQ5 https://flic.kr/p/KGzd2t

Last edited by D1rtyDan; 08-28-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i would post this on the marlin crawler forum, see what they say.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you still have the old transmission? why not just pop both cases off them and compare to see whats wrong and just swap faulty parts. you'll also be able to determine if your transmission was actually rebuilt or not. If the dude was serious about it being rebuilt and never used that oil should come out primo. If its not welp, somebody used it. looks REALLY clean in the pictures tho so chances are it was. But seriously if you could build transfercases the trans just has a couple more gears and if you take them apart and cant put them back together you had 2 messed up transes anyway go buy a new one again. YAY money pit!