Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R TE what could it be? Rough idle - power lacking

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R TE what could it be? Rough idle - power lacking

Hell y'all, I just found your forum while looking for answers to a power problem with my truck. Not only am I new to your forum but I am new to Toyota in general having just got my first Toyota a few days ago. I've always had chevy's and gmc trucks before, I think I'll be happy with the change...

I have a 1986 Truck, with 22R TE engine, turbo charged.

I bought the truck under the assumption of the previous owner that the the turbo waste gate was faulty, he claimed to cause a loss of power on acceleration at higher rpms... I havent checked this yet, as Im having problems off the start.

Let me first mention the green indicator light in the truck displays the turbo as working fine, although its just a dumb light

The problem Im having is that the truck starts up fine, but once the engine warms up the idle becomes rough... there is a major lack of power, although it gets going and drives pretty well except for feeling bogged down, and low power. Once back in idle or in low gear and reverse the truck will stall out warm... the brakes also seem to not have any pressure?

So im wondering if this has anything to do with the turbo? My impression, (although this is my first turbo), is that it shouldn't, and I have a vacuum leak, or problem with either the mass air flow, EGR, or idle air valve or possibly fuel supply/air intake problems? I have not attempted to adjust the idle, as the lack of power seems to point otherwise...

any comments or help is much appreciated, im hella confused here as I cant find a lot of info about the turbo units on these trucks... I bought the Chilton Manuel and it doesn't even mention it! (stick with Haynes)...

Matt - Nor Cal

Last edited by Tigue710; 03-02-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll find more info at http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/ It has helped me out a lot since I got my 87 22rte p/u. Some of the guys from there post here also.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Check your TPS. My truck is the 22re non-turbo, but my TPS went bad on me last summer and i had alot of the same problems that you seem to be having.
If you need a manual there are Factory Service Manual links you can find online. If you cant i have one in hard copy i can check and see what it says to check if you want.

Hope that helps
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge? Getting a cheap boost gauge is a good start. At least then you know if you're running the right amount of boost and when you're problem is happening.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM

if you still have catalytic converter check to see if clogging up and choking motor. also check to see if you have a boost leak with turbo system
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM

thanks everyone, I'll check the tps, its one of the things I suspected... not the catalytic converter, everything is working fine there.

So in checking the boost your all saying there is chance that a problem with the turbo could be causing all this?

Also wondering if anyone has a diagram to identify the check connector, instead of the little box behind the fuse box, I have three yellow female plugs on the drivers side. These are all missing the caps to identify witch circuits they are... Chilton doesnt bother to explain that either...

Ill look online for the factory service manual, Thanks again, appreciate your help
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM

Assuming the rough idle and the lack of power are caused by the same thing, it's probably not the turbo.

From what you're saying it sounds like a vaccuum leak to me.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 PM

thats my feeling too, going over the vacuum lines I haven't been able to find anything though. The lines are all in good shape too with no cracking or hardening any where... the truck sat for 6 months although it was started every week, im thinking something is gummed possibly... idk, havent found anything yet.. gonna start testing the usual suspects...

being unfamiliar with the turbo is throwing me off as I dont know what to expect with it... the who diagnosed it is very familiar with these trucks, so there probably is a problem there, but I think something has fouled up thats causing these initial problems...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM

tps usually jumps to 1000 to 2000 rpms and stays there when they go bad. or no throttle response. but if turbo is not building proper boost will cause poor power. usually should see black smoke out exhaust. indicating improper fuel and air mixture.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM

I havent nailed anything down yet, ran a very thorough check of the vacuum system, inspected the throttle body, ignition system, everything is good, found some cracking on the air intake hose to the turbo, but nothing leaking, replaced the air filter...

at first you could put the truck in drive and it would just sit there, now its taking off on its own after the new air filter and a little cleaning in the throttle body.

rpm staying steady at 700 while cold... didnt heat it up today... got busy with other stuff... there is is a lot of shaking when first applying gas but once I hit 1000 rpms its steady

might just need a full tank of gas, tune up, good open run and new gate on the turbo... still think somethings not quite hitting right in the air/gas emissions system, but for now Im gonna stick with the basics... Thanks everyone for the help and insight, I'll post back with my progress and solutions as I come by them...

Last edited by Tigue710; 03-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 PM

there is and vacuum solenoid on turbo correct
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 PM

no, no vacuum on the turbo itself, according to the diagram. I didnt see anything running to the turbo on inspection either...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM

check the idle air control motor/valve it is possible to be problem, will cause to run rough