Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r sputter with "new carb"

Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r sputter with "new carb"

So heres the deal I had to move to another state for work and left my 87 pickup with a 22r with a family member to use on the farm. Apparently the stock carb started leaking and he couldnt figure it out so he got a "new one" off ebay. I assume its a cheap knock off and it does work but any time you try to push the accelerator past a certain point it starts sputtering if you let off it itll take off just fine. Ive checked all vacuum hoses and everything is correct im suspecting a fuel issue. I have noticed while idling the fuel bowl level is in the upper range of the glass.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chinese carbs are nothing but trouble. You're literally better off with a used OEM one than a "new" Chinese carb.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:34 AM

I would if the oem wasnt apart and looks like its missing a few things. In this instance I have a old holley 350 I had on a dirt track car I can throw on with a adapter or should I just go ahead and get a weber?
Old 12-23-2016, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gramps 94 f250
I would if the oem wasnt apart and looks like its missing a few things. In this instance I have a old holley 350 I had on a dirt track car I can throw on with a adapter or should I just go ahead and get a weber?
If you get a Weber, order it from carbs unlimited or LCE. "Weber carbs direct" sell fake webers. Remember that.

LCE also sells the stuff you need to run the Holley. I've heard good things about them on 22Rs
Old 12-23-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clean up the old holley and give it a try, they are awesome little carbs on these trucks, kinda wish I went that route with my truck, I got a weber 32/36 and yeah carbs unlimited has the best prices. Its definitely an improvement over stock, mostly for ease of maintenance, you get to desmog the engine so dont have to worry about a dozen vacuum hoses that may leak or a sensor going bad. But if your expecting a noticeable HP increase you'll be disappointed with a weber, MPG will be the same or maybe a scosh better. The weber 38 will give noticeable HP increase at the cost of MPG. my friend recently put a holley 350 on his and it does have a noticeable HP increase and according to him no noticeable difference in MPG.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:13 AM

I know a guy that ran a 6 cylinder mustang one barrel carburetor on a 22r. Lol. He swore it was the best carb he's ever had on a 4 cylinder. I have my suspicions but, hey, benefit of the doubt.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 AM

After christmas ill rebuiled the holley and get a adapter thanks for the info. I will say the china carbs are pretty bad. I took it a part and most of the treads came out with the screws.

Search this Thread