86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r in place of 22re

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r in place of 22re

OK so here's the story. I've been trying to sell my 87 4runner w/o the engine and a guy who rolled his 88 pu wants to buy it and swap in his good engine. I've been talking with him for a week and he called tonight and tells me his engine is a 22r not re. so I did a seach but got none of the answers I am looking for so I'm asking for your help here. can you put a 22r in place of a 22re and if so what do you have to do? also I have a bad 22re but the head is still good, can I swap that on the 22r and have everything else plug right in? If I put the 22r in w/o 22re head will the ecm go ape on me? I need answers soon cause the guy is comming to see it tommarow. I thank you guys for any and all help.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep; it works just be sure tyo take all the wires.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 AM

take all the wires? putting a 22r in place of a 22re I'd think that I'd have more wires than I need, all the basics: pos, neg, starter, alt, ect. plus fuel injection harness, MAF, ect. What about the fuel systems? 22r has mechanical fuel pump on the block and the 22re has electric FP. Will the CEL be on all the time?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM

ok so maybe I'm asking to many technical questions cause I'm getting plenty of views but not many replies, so lets start with: has anyone ever heard of doing this kind of swap (yes or no) and if you have, have the stories had positive or negative results. So please if you view this give me your two cents, what have you heard or even do you think it will work. If enough people say they think it's possible then I'll do it and work through any problems, so let me know what you have to say about it, thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 AM

You can do this two ways. Take the 22R and make a 22RE with it, or you can just use it as a 22R. If you want to go the 22R route you need a fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure from 44psi to 5psi for the carb, or you need to take out the electric fuel pump and put in the 22R pickup assembly. Your truck came both ways from the factory.

I am doing such a swap since my wiring harnesses are butchered and trashed. Making a 22R the much easier way to go.

Keep you wires intact just because it makes life a lot easier if something changes. It is better to use the appropriate harness than to cobble and patch you way to functionality.

In your case it looks like it is better to take the 22R up to a 22RE an swap the electronics over since there is nothing to buy but intake gaskets & perhaps block off plate for the fuel pump. And swapping of the distributor.

Last edited by skypilot; 09-24-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 AM

What year is the 22r? If its pre 85 the 22re head will not work because of the pistons on the pre 85 22r. I went to do this once because I was told it would work. Luckily I happened to turn the crank with the head just sitting on the block and the piston hit it and pushed it up so I caught the problem before I bolted everything on.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the stock 88 22r, but if I go to put that in the 4runner will I have any issues with the ecm, or will it just bypass it and have the check engine light on? I don't really want to sell him my 22re head cause even though the engine is bad I was planning on rebuilding it and then I'd be without a head for it. So if it's as easy as adding a fuel pressure regulator then that would be my preference.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM

A 22R does not use an ECM. It uses a carb, and a lower fuel pressure. A lowly 5psi vice the 22RE using 44psi. Just carefully protect the harness and the wires that are not used. The ECM can stay bolted into the passenger side kick panel.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM

I just recently purchased a 91 toyota with the exact swap you are talking about. I am going to be putting a mechanical fuel pump on it instead of trying to regulate the pressure. My fuel pump and spacer just came in today, and I will be installing it on wed (hopefully) but i did away with my ecm, but i can take pictures for you of how I am going to wire it all up using the exsiting fuse block / panel on the fender. My only question is about the wiring for the ignitor because on the 22r wiring all it shows is 3 wires going to it but on mine it has 6. But i will take pictures for you this week.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
A 22R does not use an ECM. It uses a carb, and a lower fuel pressure. A lowly 5psi vice the 22RE using 44psi. Just carefully protect the harness and the wires that are not used. The ECM can stay bolted into the passenger side kick panel.
I know the 22r doesn't have an ECM. I'm just asking if I'll have any problems with the ECM if I stick a 22r in there, is it gonna freak out cause it's not getting signal from a 22re? Do I have to cut the harness apart or can I just tape up the excess to the inner fender? Thank you for your help you've already answered all my other questions and it's a great help.

lilbigmike: Pics and update would be great. How do you like the truck, any problems?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM

I like the truck have only had it running by pouring gas down the carb, but its a 91 on 40s with 5.29s sucks that it still has the independent front but that may be changed in the near future. This is personally my first toyota (my dad has owned several0 but the first that i have owned due to owning 3 jeeps at the moment but figured id give one a try and see how i like it! but I will take pics tomorrow if i get time to go work on it.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Your first yota huh? Well in my opinion they're a blast and I'm not just saying that cause we're on a yota forum. I've only ever had 80's toyotas and full size chevy's for trucks, never any jeeps (one day hopefully) but it sounds like you got a nice yota on your hands. First thing you gotta do is get er runnin under her own power and then maybe a solid axle swap, get rid of that IFS, you've already got the gearing taken care of, and then have fun wheelin it. I would love to see pics of your truck it sounds awsome. Good luck with it man.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 PM

x2 on the pics what kind of lift does it have? 40's on ifs I would like to see it.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM

sorry no pics guys, got my mech fuel pump and spacer, went to put it on yesterday and there is no lobe on the cam to make the fuel pump work. Looks like I will be going the other route with the electric fuel pump and a regulator. Anyone looking for a mech fuel pump for a 22r with the spacer let me know because i have no use for the one i have now.... but i will get pictures when i go back to the shop next time I was too frusturated this time and forgot all about it.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM

drunner yes its got a suspension lift and what looks to be a 5inch body lift but the 40s clear and didnt seem to rub when i was putting it on the trailer
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Drunner
What year is the 22r? If its pre 85 the 22re head will not work because of the pistons on the pre 85 22r. I went to do this once because I was told it would work. Luckily I happened to turn the crank with the head just sitting on the block and the piston hit it and pushed it up so I caught the problem before I bolted everything on.
i tried the same thing and right as i was going to bolt the head on, something told me i should turn the crank. I got some pistons out of a 22re and put them on the 22r rods. worked just fine.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 PM

wow 5inch body lift, truck looks cool though. hope you have good luck running those tires with the ifs. For $1995.00 you could get some ifs axles from rcvperformance.com that are pretty sweet. you know cause everybody has 2 grand laying around LOL
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
87 was the last year of the 22r.. just clarifying

only thing different for the 22r you need is the fuel tank, since it uses a mech pump and different pickup in the tank, beyond that, its a straight fit, just a few extra wires hanging around you dont need from the 22re

well a lil minor wiring, you got a choke and fuel cut off solenoid to deal with but thats pretty easy
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Drunner
wow 5inch body lift, truck looks cool though. hope you have good luck running those tires with the ifs. For $1995.00 you could get some ifs axles from rcvperformance.com that are pretty sweet. you know cause everybody has 2 grand laying around LOL
Never had any luck with ifs stuff, so it would be straight to a straight axle. main reason being my dad use to have a buggy using the axles out of a 84 toyota pickup that had a set of 21.5 firestone vtreads that were about 44 inches tall and with the 22r never broke an axle even with the large tires. So if i go any route with the truck it will be getting a straight axle.

On a second note I ordered my fuel pressure regulator and it should be here by the end of the week!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by lilbigmike
Never had any luck with ifs stuff, so it would be straight to a straight axle. main reason being my dad use to have a buggy using the axles out of a 84 toyota pickup that had a set of 21.5 firestone vtreads that were about 44 inches tall and with the 22r never broke an axle even with the large tires. So if i go any route with the truck it will be getting a straight axle.

On a second note I ordered my fuel pressure regulator and it should be here by the end of the week!
The truck looks awesome man but def get a solid axle. How much was the fuel pressure regulator and where did you order it from, the dealership?

Quick Reply: 22r in place of 22re