Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R Carb - Repair or Replace - What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R Carb - Repair or Replace - What Would You Do?

Have a 86 pickup that sat for many years. In recently bringing back to life, PO (among other things) went after the stock carb with a rebuild kit, but "left some bits out and lost them." So, not knowing what bits he left out, I need to determine my course of action. Truck starts a little rough but does start and idle, runs ok down the road but bogs down at more than half throttle. I'm new to Toyotas of this era. In this situation, would you attempt to rebuild the existing stock carb instead of replacing, or would that be too hard to figure out with the mystery missing "bits" situation? Thanks for your expertise!

Last edited by GuySmiley; 04-22-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My 84 sat for a while before I got it and needed carb work. I rebuilt it and it has been fine since then (2010).
Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks for quick reply, L5. If your carb, like mine, had some mystery bits "missing", would you say a moderately competent DIYer could figure it out with a shop manual and rebuild kit? My concern is I'll get in there and not be able to figure out what the PO left out / screwed up. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the truck starts and runs you're probably not missing much if anything. I would forget what the PO said or might have missed. Some carb kits do have extra pieces because the kit might cover a couple variations on the base carb. I have a small container of extra carb rebuild pieces from a lot of rebuilds. A good kit will have a diagram of the carb, but I would find one via this site if there is one - search.

If you do get hung up post here - WITH PICS (before and after). The guys here are quite helpful.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 PM

I just brought back to life an '86 DLX Xtra-cab 4x4 22r. All stock. A Factory Service Manual is $140 at the cheapest. Kits are very affordable. Around $35. If you have the time and patience to DIY, I would strongly recommend getting the correct FSM. You can also get free file of the FSM online but you won't find an '86 series. The best way and one that I would recommend is to buy a remanufactured carburetor from reputable place. Check out National Carburetor. Replace the old with the new and either get $ for the core or keep it (I would keep) and rebuild the old one at your own pace with no pressure to get it done so you can drive. Do it right the first time.

Last edited by Cowen88; 04-25-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-25-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the replies and guidance. For those who've installed a reman carb, was it pretty much "bolt and go", or did you need to mess a fair amount with timing, tuning, etc.?
Thanks again.