Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2 Fuel filters? Accel issue. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Fuel filters? Accel issue. Help

I have a quick question I have a 86. Toyota Truck that WAS EFI'ed but it is NOW Carbed, I am having some accelleration issues with the truck under heavy acceleration, it hits 60 and that's it, feels like there isnt any more gas. Do you think that the second fuel filter up under the hood is gunna make it not get wnough fuel under heavy loads (the efi filter) with it being carbed and the manual Fuel Pump??

thanks
Mike
Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TwstedTurbo
I have a quick question I have a 86. Toyota Truck that WAS EFI'ed but it is NOW Carbed, I am having some accelleration issues with the truck under heavy acceleration, it hits 60 and that's it, feels like there isnt any more gas. Do you think that the second fuel filter up under the hood is gunna make it not get wnough fuel under heavy loads (the efi filter) with it being carbed and the manual Fuel Pump??

thanks
Mike
Don't have any answer to your question however I do have a comment.
If your truck, from the factory, with EFI and you or someone has removed that and installed a carb. it's illegal.

Fred
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TwstedTurbo

thanks
Mike
It's not likely the old EFI filter would be any sort of restriction since it's design was to flow enough fuel to maintain 38+ PSI in the system. If there's another filter inline I would look at that one first.
Then I'd get the thing up to speed where it acts up then quickly pop it out of gear and kill the engine and come to a stop then check the sight glass on the carb and see if the fuel level is where it should be- mid-way up the glass (obviously, if you know someone with a chassis dyno, you wouldn't have to drive it and kill the engine- you could strap it down and check the sight glass as the speed comes up). If the fuel chamber level is okay, then... has the timing been checked properly? How many miles are on the engine? What size tires / gearing?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 AM

Engine was rebuilt about 10K ago, its the 20/22r hybrid, its 4x4 Helix, as far as i know stock gearing with 31's, and automatic. the truck can get to 60 ok, just i need to keep OD off, as soon as i put it in OD it looses speed and such, it feels like its got a fuel issue or something. It has a 20R carb on it, the side with the choke sprays like a fizz, and nice and hard, but the other side never sprays idk if it even should as there isnt any choke plate on there. I REALLY know i should get a new carb, but i really dont have 250-350 at the moment to get one. I did a tune up, changed both fuel filters, plugs wires distro and such. Its just a pain in the ass on 95, doin 65 max speed with OD off to keep up with speed. LOL

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
20R carb on a 22R block? That may be part of the problem- it's jetted for a 2.2L engine, not a 2.4L engine so it will lean out at higher rpm's.
The automatic is going to compound that problem slightly since it will let the engine run slightly higher rpm's.
I just read your other thread... did you ever figure out your valve adjustments?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok i know mods are cool and sometimes they make things work faster and more power but no offense your whole entire problem you got is the fact that its no longer OEM!!!!! IF YOU HAD STAYED OEM IT WOULD BE ALL FINE!!!! GO OEM!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Yeah well, i BOUGHT THE TRUCK like that, I WISHHHH it was still turbo'ed EFI and if I had 3 grand to slap down to fix it, i wouldn't, id trash it and buy one that was turbo, but I am working with what I have. And I left my valves alone, I figured it wasn't that for the issue. Next step is saving up to buy myself a carb I guess. working on it. I found a leaking hose from the brake booster to the intake, so I just went to Home Depot and fixed that issue. Next is a Intake Manifold Cleaner, and off from there lol. Thanks for your help. And yeah OEM is the way to go, the guy before me wasnt the brightest man, blown turbo ended up to be a cluster ! lol

Thanks
Mike