86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2" downey leafs with 5" shackles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2" downey leafs with 5" shackles?

So.. its time to replace the leafs on the 4runner. Ive finally saved up enough for everything so im set!!
Should the rear be higher than the front now? im kinda worried that it'll be higher then the front, but i do hear downey's leafs "settle down" so i figured the smallest shackles from wabfab will just make up for the settling down from the leafs..

Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Downey 3 inch springs and re-used the stock shackles. I figured I would wait and see how it came out first before spending $$ on something I might not need. I ended up not ever replacing them as I was happy with the final outcome. They did settle about an inch over time. Make sure you re-use your overload as that is what they are designed for. I've noticed most of the reviews from unhappy users did not have the overload in place as instructed in the Downey insert.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Why not just buy the 3" springs and save the money you were going to spend on the shackles? Oh and if your downey springs start to sag I'd just add the lower leaf from your stock pack into the downey pack, it fits perfectly right between downey's lowest leaf and the top three.

I originally bought Downey's 3" springs and used them with my stock overload leaf, but they settled into probably 1"-1.5" lift springs so I bought 6" shackles to get me back to 3".

Last edited by strykersd; 12-29-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM

hmm, you think i should go with the 3" and add one of my exsiting leafs to it?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM

oh and whats the chance that shot leafs/bushings/shackles could throw your rear allingment outta wack?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 PM

I say go with the 3" springs and save your money on the shackles. Give it a few weeks to settle down, and then if you want it a little higher then add the extra leaf. Keep in mind that these springs are for both the 4runner and a pickup, which have a huge difference in weight over the rear axle. I doubt the 3" springs will actually hold 3" of lift on your 4runner.

Last edited by strykersd; 12-29-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Get whatever you think is going to be the right amount of lift. If you need 2", get 2". Need 3? Get 3. That leaves you with shackle adjustments as a fudge factor. And I don't think Strykersd meant for you to put an extra leaf in right away, but just to throw the old ones in the corner somewhere in case you want to add one back in down the road. BTW that is a good idea. I stupidly threw mine out when I got my new stuff. It all ended up fine for me though as I did not experience nearly as much settling as Strykersd describes and my springs lasted until my next big thing. (SAS happening now) In the meantime I didn't have to trip over my old springs for the last 3 years. Still would have been nice peace of mind to know some extra lift was just laying around in the garage if needed.

Edit: Oh, and no idea on the alignment.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I put an extra in right away with the 3" I'm selling, then added more down the road. I've got the 4rnr so heavier than truck plus I usually have tools, full size spare, small floor jack, and hi lift. I'd go with the 3" off the bat, you'll see. Mine wasn't raked and I had minimum t-rod lift in front. My intro post has a pic of it springs were broken in. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f151...forgot-140619/
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 AM
BMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed 3" downey springs in my 87 4runner about 6 months ago and they have sagged at least an 1". I was going to add longer shackles but it sounds like you guys are reccomending to take the lower leaf from my stock springs and add that to my leaf pack? Will that gain me about 1"? Also how much stiffer will that make them? Sorry for the hijack.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM

no worries, ask away!

hmm, i think ill go with the 3"
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by BMC
I installed 3" downey springs in my 87 4runner about 6 months ago and they have sagged at least an 1". I was going to add longer shackles but it sounds like you guys are reccomending to take the lower leaf from my stock springs and add that to my leaf pack? Will that gain me about 1"? Also how much stiffer will that make them? Sorry for the hijack.
If you use one of the longer springs it should not stiffen it up too much. You might have to play around with which leaf gives you the optimum result for your personal tastes. (i.e. lift vs stiffness) Here is some good info from Roger Brown's site: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension-III.shtml
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
oh and whats the chance that shot leafs/bushings/shackles could throw your rear allingment outta wack?
Didn't see anyone address this so here goes:
Yes, it's possible that worn components in the rear can throw things out.
If the front spring bushing is worn, it can cause the spring, and thus that side of the axle, to shift forward on acceleration (and a "pull" in one direction) and rearward during braking (and a "pull" in the other). A worn rear shackle bushing will generally not affect the axle if the front bushing is in good shape: 1/4" up and down movement in the rear of the spring won't affect the axle as much as 1/4" fore and aft movement up front.
As a spring flattens out, the spring gets "longer" and the end of the axle will shift towards the rear slightly, which besides supporting the end of the spring, is the reason for having the shackle. So if the spring on one side is fatigued or sagging more than the other, the tire on that side will be pushed rearward causing the vehicle to 'dog track'. This is one reason why having a blown out shock on one side will cause the vehicle to kind of 'wallow' or shift side-to-side when you hit bumps.
Also, if the entire rear is sagging, the frame sits at an angle (fore to aft) and can cause the front alignment to be out slightly.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM

wow thanks alot ABE!!!!
heres the short story, i took my truck to my friends shop to get a alignment.. i knew at first this wasnt gonna be good. He couldn't even get the specs for my truck, and the sensors on the wheel's wouldn't even stay on.. In the end, he said my "rear is out a bit" it could be from a bent frame, or worn suspension. To be honest, i'd like to think that its the leafs and everything.. I've yet had a chance to go under it and see what everything looks like. My truck pulls to the left, not like holy crap to the left. But enough that its there... *sometimes* ive noticed it pulls to the right braking... i always though it was my front calliper.. or something. But what you said makes perfect sense because i know my rear leafs are shot! No idea on the condition of the shocks/bushings.

I really hope its the leafs/bushings

btw, anyone know if the downey leafs come with complete bushings? i remember someone said you have to order more or something from them.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM

http://downeyoff-road.com/Suspension...s/1986-95.html

... These springs include polyurethane bushings, and rear brake proportioning valve spacer. ....

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-30-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 AM

Your rear suspension has 3 sets of bushings, one on each end of the leaf spring and one where your shackle bolts to your frame. It comes with the bushings for your leaf springs, but if you want all new bushings you'll need to order new ones for where your shackle bolts to your frame.

Originally Posted by BMC
I just said to use the lower leaf because it would be easiest (no trimming), but BLKNBLU has a good point about using a longer leaf.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 AM

Just looked at the price of those... I got a pair of 4-5" pro-comps for the same price for my 4Runner. But I needed them to get rid of the blocks I had. But I know that's too tall for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Your rear suspension has 3 sets of bushings, one on each end of the leaf spring and one where your shackle bolts to your frame. It comes with the bushings for your leaf springs, but if you want all new bushings you'll need to order new ones for where your shackle bolts to your frame.

Ditto.

I re-used the best 4 of the 8 that came out of the old stuff. They were in remarkably good shape. Now when I took them out for my SAS and lift they pretty chewed up, but I'm thinking that is because I've been wheeling much harder the past couple years since the Downey's and Lockright went in. I would probably get the new ones if I had it to do over again and throw the old into the "emergency parts" box. Part of it in my case was that I didn't realize I would be 4 bushings short and I was too impatient to wait for more parts to come.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 AM

oh i gotcha, so for say. each leaf has 2 bushings?
so total i should get 4, then the 2 extra if i want to do the shackles?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
oh i gotcha, so for say. each leaf has 2 bushings?
so total i should get 4, then the 2 extra if i want to do the shackles?
Not sure if I'm following you. There are 2 bushings on each end of the spring. That is, one bushing to push in from each side. So, total of 4 bushings to one spring. Then, the same thing for the shackle mounts, one bushing to push in from each side. So... total of 6 bushings per side for full replacement or 12 total for both sides. The springs will come with 8 bushings to handle the spring eyes. You will want 4 more to handle the shackle to frame attatchment or re-use old. The front spring eye is larger than the rear spring eye. The rear spring eye bushing is the same size as the shackle to frame bushing. So if you try to re-use bushings you will have 8 (4 spring and 4 shackle) from which to choose the 4 best. Clear as mud?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM

hehe yeah that makes sense. i though the ones in the leafs are one piece pressed in. gotcha! so should i order ones from the dealer for the shackles to frame? just to get new ones.

Quick Reply: 2" downey leafs with 5" shackles?