Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1stgen 4Runner rear bumper w/ tire carrier

Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1stgen 4Runner rear bumper w/ tire carrier

I have an '87 4Runner and want to carry my spare on an outside carrier. I also cart my dirtbike around on a rear-carrier, so it has to have a hitch. While only a few are officially rated, a local shop here reinforces hitches to up to 10K. They did my motorhome and I'm quite pleased.

I'm collecting the ones that I'm finding here to, hopefully, make it easier for someone in the future to find. Sticky worthy? We'll see.

What i'm looking for
- easy to use. I get into the back of my truck a lot.
- rear wheeling protection, including rear rockers
- carry a 33" spare (285/75R16), eventually bigger.
- carry a HighLift
- hopefully mount the tire on the LEFT so I can still use my rear-view mirror (some mount it on the right for whatever reason)
I don't need gas cans as I have a NWP spare tank, and a CB antenna will mount to just about anything.

All prices are current as of this posting. I'm sure they'll change.

$600-800 with options
http://www.tacticalarmorgroup.com/TA...6/Default.aspx

$895-2,000. DIY kits are at the low end, higher end are fully assembled and with options. Lots and lots of options. Did I mention they have options?
http://www.4x4labs.com/products/rear-bumpers/
No 4Runner pictures, but a post on Pirate says they make 'em, and I did find an old broken link to a "4runner.jpg" on their site. Waiting for a call back to see if they're still in the biz for 4Runners.

Badland Bumpers.
http://www.badlandbumpers.com/index_011.htm
$999

$1350

Honorable mention as they have no tire carrier option at this time. But they're cost-effective ($350) and are class II rated for anyone who tows on the street.
http://4xinnovations.com/p-RB1H.html

Please let me know if you're aware of other solutions. Personally, I'd prefer not to have to fab this piece of my truck.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Looks like these douchers either were bought out or changed names but I wouldn't recommend them. I've spent many hours fabricating and spending money to make mine actually functional. Plus, it took F O R E V E R to actually get the bumper in the beginning....

You can search for my bumper build thread.....
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
They are bling but a pita if you use your cargo area.
I had one and hated it. It was a butt dragging boat anchor and blocks your rear view mirror.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would do the 4xinnovations kit with this ems kit
http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...roducts_id=181
Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
All of the bumpers you have listen make bumpers for your rig.

1)TAG bumper, TACTICAL ARMOR GROUP ( formerly KMA Kennesaw Mountain Accessories )
the first bumper is the same company that made the one i have. The biggest complaint from them is the wait. They require you to put down half when you put your name down for a bumper, it takes about 1-2 months to make it, then 2 week shipping. They also ask for the rest of the money immediately upon completion of the bumper. Everyone's biggest complaint is the waiting period, but nonetheless, it is a solid, well built bumper ( but dont expect it anytime soon when you order one )

Badlands Bumpers
2) He makes a solid rear bumper. that bumper can be made for your truck too. i think he quoted me 1650 for one to fit my 2nd gen 4Runner. But i know he makes one for a 1st gen.

4xinnovation bumpers
3) You can buy this as a platform and weld a tire carrier attachment for it? or have someone do this. it should be roughly 3-600 bucks for someone to weld a tire carrier with jerry can holders on it.

Your options are limitless.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM

I have this tire carrier from CBI Offroad (my RR bumper is a Marlin Crawler tube type bumper):

It inserts into a 2" trailer hitch. It is well designed and folds down instead of swinging out. It was about $375 shipped IIRC.

I am on the fence though as to whether I am going to use the above type spindle and weld to my tube type bumper. I chose to have the add'l 2" receiver welded on and that is definitely coming off. Kills departure clearance on steep exits and has been dragged across a few rocks

I'll probably keep it, but I still need to wire in the license plate relocation light (law in AZ) and grind off the trailer receiver tube.

Not a swing type, but an option nonetheless.

NOTE: Not my rig.

Last edited by angrybob; 08-11-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I had one and hated it. It was a butt dragging boat anchor and blocks your rear view mirror.
Looking for functionality, not bling. No room inside to store the spare, that's for cargo, coolers, dogs, etc. Underneath will be NWMP auxiliary gas tank - add the spare under it and that'll be too much hanging down.

Last edited by edeslaur; 08-11-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Looking for functionality, not bling. No room inside to store the spare, that's for cargo, coolers, dogs, etc. Underneath will be NWMP auxiliary gas tank - add the spare under it and that'll be too much hanging down.
He's saying that it will make USING your cargo area a PITA.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

:wabbit2:
Agree on the loss of visibility.....I have a cool idea/concept that I have never heard or ever seen anyone use and I'm not sure why...it's really simple and cheap..I'm doing it for my set-up...and that is to remove the valve stem from the tailgate spare and put it in the glove box. With no air in the tire now the tire moves independent of the shaking wheel over rough terrain. This has the effect of reducing bending stresses on the carrier probably by about 50%. And, if you go thru a ditch and the tire does catch then it won't tear the hell out of the mount set-up....the tire sidewalls will give way, bend and fold up to 180degrees and the carrier/swing-out assembly likely won't suffer any bending.....unless it's a really bad ditch.
This means a tire pump is also to be carried....something every offroad rig should have anyways.

Here's a shot of my humble re-located mount.
Name:  P3310064.jpg
Views: 4133
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  P3310065.jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  42.6 KB
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM

RE usability - I posted this and then nuked it. Here it is again. Swing out tire carriers are supposed to make it easy.

88 K5 Blazer. Pic is 33s, I kept a 36 on there later. I wish it had been on the left.
1. unlatch tire and swing out
2. lower window
3. open tailgate

EZ, peasy. Yes, that is a broken c-clip axle. It was before the Corp 14 upgrade.
For those who know the area, this is going up Little Rubicon on TSF in Oregon. And it was sleeting. Fun times.

My 2000 Cherokee had a rear opening big enough it was easy to get a 33 in. It was also fully caged, so I just had the tire mount attached to the cage. No cargo space to lose (it was already gone). Which is a one of the reasons I sold it (SCORE and MDR-compliant cage, plus the shocks tied into it through the truck bed).

Stock, Cherokees mount the spare like Wabbit's (but on the left).

Last edited by edeslaur; 08-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be watching this one. I gave up getting a swing away tire carrier for my 89, too darn expensive, and just put the spare up on the cargo rack.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Sucks when shipping can be up to an additional 1/3 of the price of the hardware...
Old 08-13-2011, 12:27 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...-build-238405/

Sorry for whoring out my bumper out like this, I'm just really happy with how it turned out!

It does limit visibility. I also may have cut the tire support a couple inches too high (I was leaving space to run a bigger spare). But I still see WAY better out of my truck even with the tire carrier than I do out of my parent's Seinna, so I'm not complaining.

If I didn't have a 1" body lift, I would have done like blake.nemitz suggested and modified a Trail Gear bumper with the EMS kit.

All told, I figure a spent about $500 on building this myself; less than half what it would have cost to buy one.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 PM

This guy used an Isuzu Rodeo tire carrier with good results. HiLift hangs down too much for me.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-224387/
Name:  sparetire.jpg
Views: 3277
Size:  179.7 KB
Old 08-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

I would say the big ass drop hitch boat anchor hangs down too much..........lolz
Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I would say the big ass drop hitch boat anchor hangs down too much..........lolz
Don't tell Tofer....
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Shhhhhhhh.....
Old 08-26-2011, 02:33 PM

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/2532941621.html

found that on CL and want to make something like it, any brilliant thoughts?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by POTAzoa
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/2532941621.html

found that on CL and want to make something like it, any brilliant thoughts?
1. That's not a bumper tire carrier , start a new thread please?
2. That's a piece of flat bar stock, 2 u-bolts, a big nut, and someone's tire-holder which probably eats up cargo space to boot.
3. If you want something like that, check out Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, they use a J bolt, a steel plate to go over the center hole, and a big old wing nut. Easy enough to weld a beefy tab to the roll bar to hook the J-bolt into (or drill a hole in the back).

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1stgen 4Runner rear bumper w/ tire carrier