Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st Gen Wiper Arm to 2nd Gen Wiper Arm

Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st Gen Wiper Arm to 2nd Gen Wiper Arm

Well Gents, Rainy season has officially came here in Southern California. And it's been pouring hard as hell. Its time to replace my wiper blades so i go to inspect the kinds i have and i see the previous owner used self tapping screws to go through the holes where the 2 screws go in and he drilled into the newer Hook style wiper blades.
Why do i care? Well due to this crappy fix, the guy not only messed up his wipers, but also jacked up my wiper arms and made the 2 holes significantly larger. Those wiper arms are completely useless now. and even if i were to buy new wipers. neither hook nor 2screw type wipers would work due to his pointless attempt to mod these pieces.
My truck is a 1989 Toyota SR5 4runner with a 3vze(3.0) manual transmission.

So My question to you is, considering the fact that i am gonna need to buy new wiper arms i wanna know if anybody has ever swapped in some 2nd or 3rd gen wiper arms(hookstyle) into a 1st gen 4runner/pickup. I have searched all over yotatech and google for the past few days and have only found a conversion kit that bolts onto those 2 holes to make it a hook type, but like i previously said. The holes were drilled and are now much larger so that solution would be out of the question. I would have to buy a new pair of wiper arms or snatch a set off a Pick-ur-Part junk yard. But if im gonna get another set i would much more like to have the newer style ones on my truck.

Can anybody confirm that 2nd or 3rd gen wiper arms would fit?
Will they be longer or shorter then the 1st gen ones?
What size wiper blades will i need to use if i do use them?

Please help? i have to get this done this weekend, driving home was ridiculous today with that crazy amount of rain that fell. Thanks guys
- Richard

Last edited by Redeth005; 10-11-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been wondering this too! I was also wondering if the front ones will swap out, all 3 of mine are trashed from the PO. Ill be watching this...
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Here are some pix i just took to show you what i mean:

Hope this thread helps you MotocrossAddict. If i dont get to the bottom of it, i'll probably just hit up a pick ur part and buy the damn things to find out once and for all. Then i'll let you know.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks man, I keep meaning to go pick up some front ones but I haven't figured how to take off the windshield wipers ....
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 PM

You have and 88. i believe you have the same as me. To take off the windshield wipers you just remove the 2 tiny screws that hold it and it comes off. if you wanna take off the whole arm then you gotta remove the nut toward the bottom(where it sticks out of your vent) just remove the cover and then take off the nut and viola its off.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 AM

Yea Haha I was talking about the arm.I wasn't sure it was that simple, but thanks man!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
YEP, it's VERY simple to remove...(Unless you have a broken rib and need to lean over to get the pass. side wiper off) hehehehe....

I think as long as the arm isn't too long and the splines are the same... it's as simple as that on a 'YES' or a 'NO', Richard, ya know? Remember, the Wiper Arms are NOT screwed into the spline shaft, like the AXLE ends, etc... So the wiper arm might be mildly adjustable... It is made to go on and then bolt securely, a certain way. The THIRD GEN 4Runner wipers are the ones I was trying to grab, btw... not 2nd Gen. I believe they're very similar if not the same, anyhow, hahaha...BUT, I was just wanting to clarify that as I'm pretty sure I got this stuck in your head, hahaha..... Don't wanna mislead ya, ya know? PYPart Wilmington(I think the small yard) has a 96 just came in on the 11th... Doubtful that'll be the first thing to go, ya know? (booster and master, gears in rear, calipers, motor and trans... those are the vanishing parts that mysteriously seem to be gone before the thing BARELY hits the yard! )... Anyway, take PICS OF YOUR ARM AND MOUNTING LOCATION AND SPLINES, both sides... The easiest way to tell if it'll work? Just grab some in there and come out and slap em on... 10 minutes, MAX! If they don't fit, you have 'EXCHANGE FOR SAME TYPE PART' and you can find another one that WILL work, worst case scenario!

Funny.... it's amazing how many times I've had SCARY incidents due to wipers.... YET, it's A NON 'STICKY STARTER'??? Seems crazy to me. But then, I HAVEN'T done a thread on it either, hahaha. So I guess I can't talk .

If you get off before 5, JUST GO OVER THERE, TODAY! Until then... Can't you just slide out the blades and slap in new ones? NOT the whole blade assembly on the end... Rather, just push in the retaining clips and slide out the blades and then carefully slide in new. They're VERY cheap on sale right now at one of the stores, can't remember which one it was. GRRR!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM

PS> WHAT AN IDIOT that PO was.... Good GRIEF! That, now, is around 15 things I've just thought to myself.... "WAIT, WHAT?????? " haahaha.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM

PS> http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...2166y1987g12j1
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks for that link Mark. Already checked it out hahaha. I'm trying to see if these other gen 4runner/pickup/tacoma wipers arms would work first before I go ahead and order some from online.

Sucks I have a co worker with a 1st gen tacoma and I think his might work on mine. But I don't have any tools :mad: so I can't remove his or mine. Lol. I'm gonna go straight home after work today, grab my tools, then go straight to the pick it part in Wilmington. I'll find a couple I'm sure. And if they don't work ill just get the original ones off a 2wd Toyota pickup(if they work) I'm gonna see if they'll allow me to bring one of my wipers in the yard. That'll be much easier amd save me from making trips back and forth. Or buying something that won't work.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Only thing; You need to see if the wiper clears the window, etc. Just don't put it on the spline... then run it back and forth to test. Should be VERY close/work. Just not sure on the splines.

PS> http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

EEEEEEEEEEEEEK! 60$ FOR BOTH! .... YEP, PYPart it is! hahaha. Probably 10$
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM

PS> NO TOOLS IN TRUCK??? .... Grasshopper... I'm so saddened by this! hehehee.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 PM

DOHHHHHH! LOL..... Hit the yard today with Redeth... Turns out, from what he could see, he 2nd Gen, complete wiper arms will not fit onto the 1st Gen 4Runner or 2nd Gen Pickup mounting spline location. 2nd Gen, IIRC, was too tall of a mounting spline housing.... Redeth will share it in better detail... Just posting what I remembered.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:07 AM

was that the front or the rear wipers?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks Mark I got caught up with packing for our move today.
Yea mark is right. We did confirm that you can NOT use the 2nd gen wipers on our first gens.
They do fit on the small splines but because the area where the nut holds the arm down is about 1/4" shorter then then our 1st gen ones it would be impossible to use without it rubbing and scratching the hell out if your vent.

So I just decided to buy some used 1st gen wipers with the small clip to convert it to the 2 screw type to the hook style. And because they came off a 1st gen I know for a fact these will fit my truck. They're kinda faded and paint is missing on some parts so I'm just gonna sand them down a bit and paint them black to make them look like new.

Last edited by Redeth005; 10-13-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Thanks Mark I got caught up with packing for our move today.
Yea mark is right. We did confirm that you can NOT use the 2nd gen wipers on our first gens.
They do fit on the small splines but because the area where the nut holds the arm down is about 1/4" shorter then then our 1st gen ones it would be impossible to use without it rubbing and scratching the hell out if your vent.

So I just decided to buy some used 1st gen wipers with the small clip to convert it to the 2 screw type to the hook style. And because they came off a 1st gen I know for a fact these will fit my truck. They're kinda faded and paint is missing on some parts so I'm just gonna sand them down a bit and paint them black to make them look like new.
Can you post some pic's after install?. Sorry to read what a hassle. If PO had just left factory set up you probably just would have needed inserts. Cheap and easy.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Hey Monkey, SUP?

Yeah, it sucks... the guy mutilated SO MUCH on his truck! ... BUT, Richard is snipping away at that stuff fairly quickly. Just takes MONEY and lost of time... I know, usually the other way around, but not on this stuff. He just needs time to get on it every weekend, after work, etc. (hint, hint hehehe)

I lost the TINY screws.... but I KNOW where they are... I just have remove TONS of stuff in the garage to get to where they fell... FORGET THAT! lol.. I'll just grab some from the yard. I WILL eventually try the 3rd Gen Wipers... as an older guy there, weeks ago, SWORE to me that they fit. BUT, I THINK his year rig was 90... SO, that would mean they're the same on 3rd Gen as 2nd... but neither will work on 1st Gens. I ALWAYS find at least one pick up... So, I'll just pull a 3rd Gen set and try em out on the pick up in the yard, ya know?

Personally... I think the best bet for ANYONE reading this? Just go to Autozone and buy the Dorman or other brand they have for the WHOLE ARM! lol... It will come with new wipers, I believe, and will have 4 point pressure system... and new springs, new hinge pins, etc. Most importantly, it's BOLT ON, ..... So for 30$, now that I think about it, and realizing how SAFETY RELATED this is.... I think it's worth 60$ to have A NEW SET OF WIPER ARMS THAT FIT and that can EASILY snap off and on new arms onto... ya know? YES, that's 30$ EACH, lol. But think about it... Wiper attachments alone are 10-17$, right? That's what I would do, next time... BUT, the Toyota ones are fine... They're quality, and I've gotten the new style blade attachements to fit... BUT, it was NOT super easy and it required I use ONLY ONE BRAND! lol... I will check that brand to see and post up here for you all.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems like a lot of the used cars/trucks I've owned through the years, the wipers are always a problem replacing blades/inserts as most people end up buying aftermarket complete wiper blade from AP store as I guess it just seems easier.

Like I said earlier its so much easier when it's oem and you can just replace inserts.
Mine was also changed to aftermarket blade assembly.

So I buy complete blade assembly when winter time is near.
I bought this set about a month ago at Costco. I used them before with no problems, so I just stuck with them for now. A lot of plastic.

Redeth, I hope you get it figured out and working, good luck.

Name:  IMG00233.jpg
Views: 2603
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  IMG00232.jpg
Views: 2583
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  IMG00231.jpg
Views: 2752
Size:  84.5 KB
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Might I offer a suggestion, the next time you want/need something for your 4Runners, send Deathcougar a PM. He's a longtime member here, and works for Nix 99, a Toyota/Lexus wrecking yard in Wa state. I've dealt with him personally on a few occasions, (and will be again soon!), and he knows his Toyotas, and great prices from Nix.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Alright guys here is the latest update on this subject. Hopefully this answers your questions. You asked for pictures so I just decided to make you guys a video to better explain myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj98...e_gdata_player

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Gen Wiper Arm to 2nd Gen Wiper Arm