Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1995 3.0 No start/Flooding

Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 3.0 No start/Flooding

1995 3.0 4runner 110k miles i beleive
To start out, this is my mothers truck i was not in it when this problem arose.
She said that its been low on engine power recently, and battery has been on its way out. She said that the truck suddenly lost all power, gauges flickered and would not start. Small puff of grey/white smoke after it stalled. Couple days later i was able to get to her home to check it. Battery wouldnt turn it over, good voltage, no amps. I swapped it out good cranking speed now, noticed fuel smell out of exhaust. Her brother a toyota mechanic, but 1000 miles away, mentioned the imfamous timing belt failure. I took the distributor cap off, removed number 1 plug (full of fuel) and brought up onto TDC/compression stroke, timing mark was right on number 1 on the cap, so i took it that belt wasnt broke, nor did it jump time. I continued to pull rest of plugs 1/3/4 were SOAKED with fuel. All looked like old/wet/1 bad miss fire, so i put a fresh set of ngks in, before so i cranked the engine with ecu fuse/relay disconnected to remove the fuel from chambers. Igniter also disconnected. Since massive fuel was coming out while cranking, til dry i would hook the ecu stuff back up and check again, after running the key 3 times off and on to check for leaking injectors. Once again much fuel out of the cylinders. I figured id give it a try anyway and put the plugs in, hooked up the igniter and tryed to start, no good.
I only had about an 2 hours to work on the truck yesterday, so this morning i did some research around and came across this forum. Seen some threads on both, the afm and cold start injector possibly causing this issue. I didnt want to get into taking the injectors out yet, plus its at her house not at my shop, so tools ect are lacking....I wouldnt think the timing belt, even though needing replacing would be the cause. Could it be possible with faulty battery, i presumed a bad cell, could of ruined the ECM? I gave thought to the fuel pressure regulator but never heard of too much pressure problem, just lack of fuel when it fails.

Thanks for any tips/help
Im going to try to get there again tommorow to check out the afm/cold start to see if either are the culprits.

-Edward
Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would check the intake hose after the maf and check the spark from the dist.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Yes, after reading some more search/posts after i posted, i seen a case or two where the rubber was cracked/deteriorated. I did notice that there was quite a bit of oil on and around the accordion hose, i guess from the crank case breather, which wouldnt help the boot any.. Im going to bring more tools this time, before i tow it to my shop, so i can check voltage/spark and also cylinder compression.
Thanks for info
Another check point on my growing list...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to start looking at your ignitor and ignitor circut and your Air flow meter. Engine lost something when it cut off and its obviously not fuel so i'm leaning toward ignitor. Sure the belts not broke? Take the timing cover off and see. Does it spin over extremly fast a free? Does it seems to crank over like its missing a beat? Compression tests should be done to all cylinders. Intake manifold leaking or cracked? Does it have any engine trouble codes?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Seems to spin over fine, no unusual sounds, after i put an new battery in the truck. I wasn't able to check for codes, i've got the list printed, and i will check for codes tomorrow (did notice check engine light was on during ignition on mode, wasn't sure if that was normal or not for this truck). I had limited tools day of diagnostic repair, and really though it was only going to be a battery/alternator. I was able to get the top timing cover bolts out and spy the belt and had someone look at it during crank mode, it was spinning.
As said in first post #1 was alinged with distributor at TDC.
Hoping for a cheap fix, shes had this truck since NEW at 1995, and is VERY VERY easy on it, barely every even used the 4x4, truck is like new inside/out.
First time this things ever even seen a tow truck or break down

Thanks again
-Edward