Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 Toyota truck 2wd suspension rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1994 Toyota truck 2wd suspension rebuild help

Hello
After, 320k on my truck my steering is very loose. Im have bought all new parts (ball joints,tie rods, relay bar, sway bar links ,bushing, (already rebuild idler arm Thanks yotatech) etc.

Does anyone have any tips or things I need to look out before I tear into this suspension. This is all original for the most part.

Thanks
Pete
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Just a few days ago someone had a thread up w/ some great pics....

You are in the right spot, read a BUNCH of threads, start a new bookmark, print the stuff w/ diagrams you'll need. *save all for later*
Take lots of pictures and make notes as to WHY that pic was taken, points of interest.

have fun, I'll see if I can find that front end thread.

Repo
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Talking

Hey Repo

I have seen alot of 4WD (I AM SUPERBLEEDER has a GREAT thread on 4WD front suspension rebuild!!) thread front suspension rebuilds but none on 2WD. I will document my journey. I have bought all the parts I will need. I will try and start it this weekend if not definitely next weekend!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
swapping the parts is pretty straight forward and not really hard in any way.
just get a good pickle fork or tie rod puller and it will make the job 10x easier. also count the turns for the tie rod ends as you pull them out of the adjuster to help get you back in the ball park so its drivable to an alignment shop.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Yep I'm a jackass....

Didn't see the 2wd thing

as far as extras.... Seals for wheel bearings, some ezy-outs for the broken stuff and start in now w/ the PB blaster.

I'm a few months behind you, for working over the front end, 4wd though

I look at a few thread tonight.

Repo
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 AM

Thumbs up

Hey Repo no problem. Im sure there are some similarities between 2WD and 4WD Front Suspension rebuild. I have to work (overtime oh yeah! This will help with the $$ of parts.) this weekend. I am buying MOOG parts. I like the fact they are made in the USA or Japan. Yes these are more expensive but, I figure they are worth it. Because I drive my truck alot and usually out of state most of the time for months on end. Plus I only want to do this once.. I wont start until next weekend. I hope to have it done in one day. However, it may take two days for me Im slow..

Last edited by Blk63vette; 01-20-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just replaced the drag link and tie rods. Then did the bearings and brake pads. Made a big difference on my 87. You are doing alot more. It is pretty straight forward. It will drive and handle 10x better. Regardless how well I count my number of turns and it handles. I still take mine to an alignment shop. As far as the draglink and tie rods, once you get them off, I dont think it took 30 minutes to put back together.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Talking 2WD Suspension Rebuild Update

Hello
I have all the parts i will need for a total rebuild of front suspension.

4 KYB Gas Shocks
2 MOOG Inner tierods
2 MOOG uter Tie Rods
1 MOOG Relay Rod
2 MOOG Upper Ball Joints
2 MOOG Lower Ball Joints
2 MOOG Sway Bar Links
2 MOOG Front sway bar bushings.
1 MONORE front stabilzer shock

Last edited by Blk63vette; 01-24-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see you are located in Florida.

If your truck is not from there or if it's from somewhere close to the ocean rust will be an issue.

Even if its not rusty be sure to spray the bolts good with your choice of penetrating oil. i.e. Kroil, WD-40, PBlaster, etc...

Take your time to do things right, rushing will only lead to broken bolts.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM

Everything looks so nice in the boxes, I love getting new parts, if you haven't picked up the small piece to tie the inner and outer tie rods together go ahead and buy two now, its worth the small amount of money, I worked for a long time trying to loosen mine up, I should have bought that part earlier, plus when you take it in for the the alignment they will be able to adjust it by hand, made for a real easy fix on mine and they could dial it in fast.

I called up the place i go to and had set up a time, so once I got it done I just drove straight down, the only thing I did was make sure my brakes were working ok.

IF you feel brave and want to, now might be a time to think about the bushings, I mean if you have it all the way apart, you might want to do those as well, with 300k plus on it, might be time.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by angrydogtattoo
... if you haven't picked up the small piece to tie the inner and outer tie rods together go ahead and buy two now, its worth the small amount of money....
X2, if someone else is in this same boat I'd recommend buying the whole tie rod assembly because it comes with all the parts together and should be cheaper than buying all the parts separate.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Talking

Hi

Yes it would be cheaper..I could not find a package deal for 2wd online. I have connections at CarQuest I got my parts for cheaper than cost. I had bought KYB GR2 shocks 7 years ago i kept the receipt so I got a new set for FREE . I have PB Blaster the front end for two weeks now. Im hoping I can reuse the sleeves since they were replace 5 years ago..They dont look badly rusted but then again we shall see..
Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 AM

Smile Downey Gusset 2wd Toyota truck idler arm

Hello

I didnt have time to do the front suspension myself..I had another guy I know do it...I will get pictures itr went pretty smooth car handles 100% better...

I recieved my gusset for my idler arm for my truck..Saying it was a PITA to put on is and understatement..Im wondering if this is even the right part? Has anyone else had problems..
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blk63vette
I recieved my gusset for my idler arm for my truck..Saying it was a PITA to put on is and understatement..Im wondering if this is even the right part? Has anyone else had problems..
Which brand? If the idler arm is already bent, you may have to get a new one before putting the brace on. The brace is to keep one from bending but after its bent its hard to fit it on. Obviously they are designed to fit on a non-bent arm.

Here's mine:

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-03-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM

Also replace the strut rod bushings while your in there.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Which brand? If the idler arm is already bent, you may have to get a new one before putting the brace on. The brace is to keep one from bending but after its bent its hard to fit it on. Obviously they are designed to fit on a non-bent arm.

Here's mine:

I have the 2wd drive version from Downey. The fit isnt that good and the metal piece pressed up against drag link ..It did not want to go on..I dont think my idler arm was bent or damaged..I did have to take the front wheel off to put on the gusset..Was not a fun not so sure if its really gonna help ..i have to take some pics you tell me what you think..
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
when i had my downey brace i had to cut/modify it to fit right. i also had to drill out the bolt holes bigger so the bolts wouldnt hit the actual arm.
Name:  DSCN0333.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  85.6 KB
this is what i run now
Name:  DSCN0295.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  74.3 KB
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
when i had my downey brace i had to cut/modify it to fit right. i also had to drill out the bolt holes bigger so the bolts wouldnt hit the actual arm.

this is what i run now
Hello
Thats what Im talking about it really needs to be modified to fit correctly. I need to find someone that can do that for me..

I think Im going to take it off this weekend have someone look at it..
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Christ Radiator blues..

Hello
I now have a radiator leak ..I am hoping I can make it home and put the new one in I ordered...Never seems to end...oh well, what you expect from 330k I hope it goes smoothly..

Wish me luck..
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM

2WD Downey Gusset

Hello

I finally modified the Downey Gusset to fit properly on idler arm. I dont know who designed it..IMHO its a terrible design and fit for 2WD truck..

I Also had to make the holes bigger inorder to put the bolts through..I know with aftermarket its a "gamble"..I thought it would have been better than what it was..

Quick Reply: 1994 Toyota truck 2wd suspension rebuild help