Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 Toyota P/U 4WD 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Toyota P/U 4WD 22RE

So, I have been running into major problems with my 94 Truck. Hesitating when accelerating, hard starting, long crank times, sputtering at idle, unstable idle(when using timing light, the little groove won't sit still). Until this very day, we haven't figured out whats going on and are starting to give up. I don't know much about these engines but been learning over the course of 2 months in trying to fix my truck. We checked all and replaced some sensors, replaced the spark plugs and cap and rotor, installed a new exhaust system and O2 sensor, new fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure regulator, cleaned some if not all valves, and did a tune up more than I can imagine. Also rebuilt the engine about 4000-5000 miles ago and installed a new timing chain, all fuel injectors, water pump, and clutch.

One thing though, the previous owners were total jerks and made things harder for me and my uncles to work on my truck by half butting literally everything and installing things the "cheap" way. Theres also a kink in one of the fuel hoses. Anybody have the same problem and how they solved it?

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-09-2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Language. This is the friendly warning.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:21 PM

Have you checked the TPS adjustment?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:20 AM

Yes. Everything is in spec by the book via the factory 1993 Toyota Pickup Service Manual.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i know just enough to get myself into trouble, but it sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. i would ask you what "new" injectors were put on the truck? also check and test items like: fuel pump, inspect the fuel rail for problems, fuel pressure regulator, then definitely test fuel pressure, circuit opening relay, make sure throttle body and AFM is clean and test the AFM. heck, it could even be related to a bad electrical connection. lots of people here knowledgeable in 22re's, hopefully some will chime in and help you better than i can. good luck!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 PM

After breaking down every problem we think it was down one by one, we had a feeling it was a fuel delivery problem. We replaced the fuel pressure regulator which helped start up better and then the fuel pump then filter. Theres a little bit of difference but nothing to make my truck run better. However, as I said in the first post the previous owners were jerks by doing everything the lazy way by using a fuel pump bracket off an 84. As we did the fuel pump job, we noticed a kinda critical kink in one of the main fuel tubes and we were thinking that could probably interrupt the fuel delivery but we have yet to change that yet. Still waiting on my knock sensor to come in after it literally snapped off while trying to remove the fuel filter. Thanks for the insight highonpottery!! Hope someone out there knows the solution so I don't have to blow more money off. You can only spend so much lol
Old 04-12-2015, 02:45 AM

Another thing, it accelerates till about half throttle. Meaning, half throttle would be the same amount of acceleration to full throttle.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Are you comparing this with another Toyota with the same drive train and around the same weight??

These engines are not power houses with a about 120 Horse power when things are fresh.

If it starts good idles fine does not miss and carry on I am not sure just what more your looking for.

When checking the timing you are jumping TE1 to E1 on the check connector?? To set the base timing. Some people miss this not being familiar with this engine series.

Cam timing off from when the timing chain was done??

Distributor off a tooth??

Just what fuel line is kinked The pressure side or the return line??

What do the plugs look like??
Old 04-13-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Are you comparing this with another Toyota with the same drive train and around the same weight??

These engines are not power houses with a about 120 Horse power when things are fresh.

If it starts good idles fine does not miss and carry on I am not sure just what more your looking for.

When checking the timing you are jumping TE1 to E1 on the check connector?? To set the base timing. Some people miss this not being familiar with this engine series.

Cam timing off from when the timing chain was done??

Distributor off a tooth??

Just what fuel line is kinked The pressure side or the return line??

What do the plugs look like??
Yes I am. My uncle has the same exact truck and even if he didn't, I know its not pushing all of its 120 stock horse power because it ran great after I got the heads rebuilt but when I did a normal maintenance check and tune up check, things started to downturn. It is an old truck and I bought it used so I didn't expect too much.

It doesn't start well, takes long cranks and doesn't start up nicely meaning after starting up the first time, it stalls right away and after starting the second time, it starts and almost stalls out then idles alright. And the exhaust is sputtering at the idle. Like it isn't flowing smoothly.

Yes we are jumping TE1 and E1 before setting base timing. Following the factory manual as directed.

Checked the cam and distributor, everything seems ok.

The main fuel tube that the fuel pump pumps the gas to the engine was kinked/bent about 45 degrees but we had bent it back straight temporarily till I order the replacement tube but we never really know what it looks like inside the tube.

I strongly think that it has to do with fuel delivery but I could be wrong.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You mention the 94 truck is using an 84 fuel pump bracket. Your 94 should have 2 rubber lines (low pressure), one marked white other marked yellow. Those lines must be connected to the correct lines on the fuel pump bracket. If they are swapped you wouldnt likely notice.

Edit:
Thinking a little more about this, doesnt the 84 bracket only have 2 lines out the top instead of 3 like the 94?

Last edited by Regency; 04-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your timing mark is jumping around after you've replaced the timing chain and are jumping T1 & E1 the only thing I can think of to look at is the distributor. Perhaps it's worn out and has too much play.

If it started running worse after you worked on it you need to examine the work you've done.

Last edited by Odin; 04-14-2015 at 03:04 AM.