Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 flatbed cargo ideas?

Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 flatbed cargo ideas?

so i got this for $2500 and am slowly fixing it up so far i have put new tail lights (the previous owner bailing wired on the factory lights) i changed the clutch and ive put new tires on it. i have a crap ton of electrical problems that im slowly sorting out and i think most of them are from the blinker/light/windshield wiper module but thats soon to be figured out and i need a new rear end i have huge gouges out of my axles on both sides and the drivers side is from a toyota dually but i would like your feedback on what mods i can do to it to make it more trail worthy and to increase cargo space because this is my work truck as well as my trail truck and i have alot of work stuff for construction but i need ideas for cargo space im thinking of custom building a lumber rack with a grate over the cab for storage kinda like a safari rack i also would like to
-make half doors from the current doors and put the doors with wing windows on
-put a light bar or three
-cb radio
-steel rims
any ideas welcome thank you! sorry for being so long this is my first post
Attached Thumbnails 1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4966.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4970.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4965.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4962.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4961.jpg  

1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4959.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4957.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-img_4956.jpg   1994 flatbed cargo ideas?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You got your work cut out for you man, but i appreciate you trying to keep an old Yota rolling.

The basics are clearance, traction, armor, and water tight storage. A little lift, some lockers, skid plates and sliders, and XL ammo cans could be a good start.

BUT-
If you want inspiration, there's no better source than the web. But here's what to do: Google IMAGE search for "Toyota 4x4" but add words like bobbed, propane, flatbed, rollcage, etc. The stuff you're interested in.

You will then get to look at dozens of already built trucks all at once, and click on a few you like, then those pictures will have "similar to this" pictures.

Too many good ideas! And, pictures are worth 1000 words, so look at the image search for a while. You'll quickly realize what you like or don't.

Now, many of the pictures you see will lead back here and you'll be able to read the build threads that already explain how they did what you want to do.

So the answers are here, just need to narrow down what you like and see how it's done. Google images are best first step to seeing some great examples.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 04-04-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM

You got yourself quite a project, but good luck!

For cargo space, especially for work, I'll shoot this idea out:

Allpro Offroad and Badlands make things like this, but if you can bend and weld some tubing you can save a lot of money. Anyway, as you mention, a similar and sized-up frame rack might help maximize the utility of that flatbed (and you can sleep up there so that taking a late-night wee is extra difficult!).

In Australia I saw thousands of Hiluxes with aluminum "tray" beds rated for HD loads. Some of these had folding sides that converted the tray from a flatbed to something more like a regular pickup box. So, that's an idea, too.

In my experience, the best things you can do to ready an old Yoter for trails is fix all the important parts that have worn out (like, *all* of the suspension and steering, brakes, and fundamental engine stuff like timing and valves).

Like tj says, traction and armor are appropriate priorities when the truck is in good running order. I've never gotten around to doing crazy/glorious things like dual T-cases, SAS, or air lockers but I've always gotten where I wanted to go, too (not done real rock crawling, either).
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Many directions you could go. I suggest you take a look at the Official Toyota Flatbed Thread over on Pirate.

Personally I'd likely chop/modify the roll bar section so that I could hold lumber up top since it's a work truck - the version linked above would be a good place to start for inspiration.

I would also try to use up that dead space under the bed, in front of the rear wheels - I'm sure you could mount some lock boxes in those spots. Maybe consider "bedside" tool boxes and see if you can flank both sides with locking storage. Lastly, something I've seen on a lot of flatbeds - consider platforming across the top of the taller fender sections so everything is flat across the top, then put drawers under it so you can use that cavity for storage underneath. Obviously this will increase your COG for whatever types of loads you carry.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:48 PM

thanks for the ideas. i am planning this weekend to meet up with a friend who works at a saw mill in town and he wants to get the welders there to custom make a lumber rack and mabey some rock sliders and some boxes for me and weld it to the truck so we'll see how that goes and he was thinking about getting a tool box/ gastank combo for me and bolt that down somewhere but we'll see what happens and what ideas the welders have. i like that sleeping up top idea i havent thought of it. i would like to make some sort of awning for it off the side for camping and for sitting under at lunch when theres no shade and its 115 here but im still looking at ideas for that
Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
light bar or three...throw in an alternator upgrade to your plans too.

might consider a rear spring upgrade too. The additional weight of armor and boxes add up quick
Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 PM

when i change the rear end im planning on adding another leaf spring because with my current tools in it my leaf springs are almost flat and sometime im going to upgrade to old man emu or blitzen shocks and steering stabilizer or is there anything thats better or more highly reccomended? ive kinda given up on how much money i want to spend on it and i just want to make it exactly what i want and save up when i need to. and also any ideas for a second battery placement and what alternator i should get? you guys have been super helpfull already thank you
Old 04-06-2016, 06:07 AM

On my '94 I built spring packs out of craigslist and junkyard parts, sanding off rust and repainting each leaf. I think I had to buy the little slip tabs at a store. That worked great and I could easily have added an extra leaf. I used Bilstein HD shocks and they were fantastic. I used an OME stabilizer that I got a deal on, and that too was an amazing improvement over stock. Finally, I had OME torsion bars that I fond on Craigslist for cheap and I would recommend them.

On my Tacoma I just went all OME since I needed to replace all suspension. My springs are regular duty and IMO slightly stiffer than the stock springs on my '94. In your case the HD version would probably be the better choice (though I dont know how much your tools and boxes actually weigh). The flex on the springs is so-so--comparable to stock.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
See what the welders have to say. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

You can get retractable awnings for the side of your rack, they're not cheap, but having shade is pretty useful.

I like my OME leafs and shocks, but think you'd need the HD version instead of mediums, especially if you're gonna be loaded up with tools. I believe OME says they're for 500lb constant load over stock. Custom leaf pack is obviously cheaper and fairly straightforward to make. My dad always had a full truck of tools (like 500-1000lbs) for work and he simply added airbags to his trucks to help with the load, but then again it was always on a 2wd truck and no concerns for articulation offroad.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 PM

i was thinking of adding an extra leaf which i will do now and i do have to replace all the suspension at some point so im saving up money for that but what should i get? OME or Blitzen or what? is OME the best?