Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1993 4x4 truck V6 Questions

Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 4x4 truck V6 Questions

I bought my truck brand new Christmas of 92. Only thing I've done is one set of breaks and a power steering pump and a factory recall head gasket and timing belt at 90K. It now has 246K and the clutch is starting to fail so I'm going to fix her up new again since I can't bring myself to sell it. Is there a better clutch to get than another? Looking to redo the interior seats but the guy I got a quote for the two front seats from was 800.00. Thats sounds like way too much to me. Has anyone had theirs done and price? Also I want to rebuild the engine but a buddy told me doing so screws these engines up.. I am NO mechanic other than I can tell you about whats wrong but no idea how to fix it lol. I've put a camper top on it and want to raise it with bigger tires but I put 32 x 10.50s on one time and they rubbed. How do you fix that? My plan is make it a toy 4x4 out of it like a bug out truck with new bumpers, camper top, roof rack on top of the cab. { anyone know what rack would work for this?} Any suggestions or pics of yours is appriciated. Like said I'm no tech guy I just want to make a cool toy out of it now and don't want to get ripped off because I don't know much. Adverage engine rebuild cost? Clutch replacement cost? Thanks guys in advance.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
If and when I have to replace my clutch I will probably use Asin parts. Is the engine using oil? If its not, I wouldn't worry about rebuilding it until I had to and if I did I would pick my mechanic carefully. I would find someone with a proven record on Toyotas. I had my front and rear seats upholstered about 5 years ago and it cost 500. Local shop did it for me and they did all right.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You got 246K out of the original OEM clutch. Why would you put in anything different this time? The clutch job will cost you about $800 in labor plus $150-200 in parts if you go Aisin (OEM). There's just no point in cheaping out on parts on a job that is mostly labor.

You might consider replacing the rear crank seal while you're in there. Easy and cheap while the tranny is out. Also consider replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders. Neither is expensive, and they are probably leaking slowly by now.

I agree to leave the engine if it's running well. No reason it won't go another 50-75K trouble free, perhaps more.

I replaced my front seats with ones from the salvage yard. Not easy to find good ones, but they're out there.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Oh, and one other thing. It sounds like this truck isn't or won't be your DD. If that's the case, make it a point to drive it far enough at least once per week to get it thoroughly warmed up (10 miles at 45mph or more). It will last much longer that way.

Search this Thread