Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1993 4Runner A340H Auto wont move in Drive or Reverse (More Info Inside)

Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 4Runner A340H Auto wont move in Drive or Reverse (More Info Inside)

Info:
1993 Toyota 4Runner V6 Auto

Recent HG replacement
Replaced Engine Harness

Situation:
I did a HG job on my truck and replaced a rotten engine/transmission wire harness that goes to the ECU at the same time. The new harness had a slightly different Neutral safety switch connector (new style). So I repinned my (OLD Style) Neutral Safety Switch wire connector from the original harness on the newly bought harness. I also traced all wires on the harness from the various connectors and the ECU/cab plugs and all of the wire colors matched up to the old harness. After installing the engine back in the truck the truck ran fine but the trucks transmission would not move the truck. If you put the gear selector in D, or R right after starting the truck it would engage the gear, but if left in gear for more than 30 sec or so after start up it would automatically stop engaging the gear even tough the selector was not moved. You could actually feel the truck come out of gear… almost like the lever was moved to Neutral but it wasn’t. After about a min of warming up, the truck would not engage any gear (D, R, 2, 1, in either 2wd, 4Hi, or 4Lo) It would act like it was in Neutral in any position.

What I have done:
Checked all connections on Engine, Transmission, and ECU
Traced all wires on ECU/cab end and sensor end and all wire colors match up
Checked Transmission fluid: full and not burnt
Checked all fuses in cab and main block in engine: All were fine
Checked for both Engine and Transmission Codes: None stored

Next Up:
Manual Shift Test Per FSM
Volt test each pin on the harness (Uggg… rather not do but if I need to do it… so be it)

So am I missing something here? I just don’t understand how the truck went from driving fine to not even going into gear and all I did was replaced the HG and Harness. If anyone of you ever had this problem of the truck not engaging any gear please let me know what resolved your situation!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Ok... just performed a Manual Shift Test per FSM and it FAILED! Uggg.... that is very disappointing because now I am left with the potential it could be a pump or TC that went south and it is not an electrical bug which could have been easily corrected. I also noticed today that I get a "pump whine" sound when I just turn on the truck. The whine lasts for about 20 seconds then quiets down. Now back to square one on this one...

Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Any further development on this? I just bought a 95 4runner 4x4 auto v6 and the tranny is not working. I have not personally checked it myself but I was told "it won't move." Maybe a similar problem, just curious if you found anymore out.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM

Smile Anything new on this?

I changed out my solenoids and now my tranny won't go into gear also? I was reading and it could be the speed sensor or somthing, plus other stuff like tsp(but my motor starts fines) the trans cable if its not tight. But i know this is ah old post, any one got anything on this that might point me in the right way?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Did your transmission work at all before? Are you getting any codes? Have you done the manual shift test?

(The Throttle Position Sensor (tsp?) doesn't have anything to do with the transmission. A loose throttle cable (trans cable?) won't limit whether it shifts in the first instance.)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Talking Right on

I was reading about that just as i got the email saying you just posted. Reading more on that right now. Gonna give that a try before i order a new speed sensor. Thanks. I'll be posting my updates o and yes it drove up in the garage find i was just changing out the solenoids too see if it would shift better.

Last edited by Munkymag; 03-31-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM

Id like to see the progress as well, i too am having some trans troubles and started a thread and have been battling it but just dont know which direction to go to fix it rather than parts replacing.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 AM

morning all, just checking in. I haven't worked on the 4runner yet. Today well be the day i try out the manual shift test. Gotta put everything back in and give it a shot. Been too busy all week long. I got some time for it this morning so i'll check back in with my progress.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Question Ok what is going on now?

So i just did the manual shift test on my 4runner a340h trans. It doesn't want too move when you give it gas but as you bring up the rpm's 3500 or so and let go of the gas it moves for you after. Its kind of jumps then slows down cause you let off the gas pedal. Same in "R" gear too. Then i was not sure if i disconnected the right wires so i reconnected the wire i disconnected, and try it that way. Same thing it moves after you let go of the gas pedal. Now is this a bad trans or something else? Could it be the TC? No. still gonna read up on this manual shift test thing anyone know is it the blue or black plug? That rans by the oil filter?

Ok just went back and tried it again. Started up, put it in "R" rolled out of garage stopped on the road. Put it in "L" and gassed it around 3600 to 4000 let it drop and when it started moving forward kept the revs going around 3500ish rpm and it rolled up into the garage. Ok for me i don't know, but whats going on here? It feels like it wants to go but its like not catching, then when you let off alilo from the gas pedal it catches and moves but you gotta give it gas, then its like rolling in-till you stop then your at square one again? Is it maybe the TC? Or i hate too call it but is my tranS donE? Let me know what you guys think?

Last edited by Munkymag; 04-05-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Cool

ok now just updating, when i plug the wire back in ( the wire i disconnected for the manual shift test) the trans has no "R" it won't roll back on it just wants too go forward. But when when you disconnect the wire its back, as in it rolls backwards but takes a lot of gas too move but it moves
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Talking Closing my question.

ok guys thanks too those of you who helped. But in the end i plugged in ah used a340h from an 88 4runner v6. Went smooth cause its running and running better then when i even drove it home.working on flushing my trans in the next few months.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 AM

4Runner 1993 V6 in Brazil, problem solved.

Hi.

i'm brazilian and i buy a 4runner with a similar problem and i solved.

my 4runner only move in 4wd low, and the problem was in the transmission. My solution it's a simple and fast adaptation, i isolate the low mode, but i don't lose all other functions.

i have any videos on my channel in youtube.

youtube.com/eclypx

the discs of the transmission it's burned, but i don't change, i make a adaptation and my 4runner it's ok.

i hope to help other people with this problem.

my email eclypx@hotmail.com i have any pictures and a tutorial to solve this problem.

tks

Last edited by EclypX; 08-15-2014 at 12:07 AM.