Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1992 Auto Trans into 1993 4runner

Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 4x4 Auto Trans into 1993 4x4 Auto 4runner

Supposedly this 4x4 trans should fit fine but there may be a few small things that have to be converted, like the wiring, is there anything else?

I'm going to be looking at buying this trans from a rolled runner, what can I do to inspect it to help make sure that it is in working order?

Last edited by 4x4-93; 04-23-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM

There shouldn't be anything different about them. It should just bolt right up and go.

I have never known how to test an auto tranny other than to shift it and make sure the linkage isn't locked up. I guess you could turn the shaft and make sure you don't feel binding or hear grinding. Other than that you could remove the pan and look for metal. None of that tells you that it will shift out right though.

Whenever I sell any of my used drivetrain components, I tell the buyer that if it doesn't work as I described it, bring it back and pick up your money. No questions asked. See if the seller will guarantee it. There is no reason why he shouldn't if you are doing all of the labor.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
There shouldn't be anything different about them. It should just bolt right up and go.

I have never known how to test an auto tranny other than to shift it and make sure the linkage isn't locked up. I guess you could turn the shaft and make sure you don't feel binding or hear grinding. Other than that you could remove the pan and look for metal. None of that tells you that it will shift out right though.

Whenever I sell any of my used drivetrain components, I tell the buyer that if it doesn't work as I described it, bring it back and pick up your money. No questions asked. See if the seller will guarantee it. There is no reason why he shouldn't if you are doing all of the labor.
Sweet thanks for the help, where are you located? In the last thread you were talking about helping me out with your spare trans? Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 AM

I'm in South Arkansas. Like I said, you are welcome to the transmission but I'm not interested in shipping it or taking it apart. Not that I just don't want to but it's my busiest time of the year and I simply don't have the time to spend on it. I bought a parts truck a few years back and there was no engine in it. I first thought that the transmission may have failed and someone had taken the good engine from it but they left a bunch of the engine's components in the truck along with the best looking used engine harness I had ever seen. There is no way I would have left those components behind or taken the time to remove them if rebuilding the engine wasn't the plan. I bet they pulled the motor to repair it and didn't like what they saw when they opened it up so they scrapped the truck. Transmission may be just fine. Who knows.

PM me if you want to make arrangements to pick it up. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread