Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 Toyota pickup 3.0 Starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1991 Toyota pickup 3.0 Starting issues...

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup V6 3.0 (3VZE) with 180K and a 5-speed. When I bought the truck I was aware that it had an "intermittent" starting issue. It would start up fine one day, then two hours later it would click, no start.

Fast forward a few months and it would start again click, no start.. Then one day it would not even start at all, just click, no start. I had to get the truck push started and drove home. Its been a good six months and I just started to trouble shoot it and still nothing. Here is what I've done so far:

New Starter
New Starter Relay
6 month old battery
Engine turns by hand

I have also used a multi-meter to test the volts on the battery and it is 12.5, with a half volt drop when you try to start the truck. I put the meter to ohms with the negative prong to the negative side of battery and positive prong to starter and it beeped, indicating it had a good ground. I had the neg. prong to battery and positive side to starter prong and it read 12.5 volts.

What am I missing and what can I do before I take it to a shop?

I hope i gave enough information to receive help.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SubiKing
I have a 1991 Toyota pickup V6 3.0 (3VZE) with 180K and a 5-speed. When I bought the truck I was aware that it had an "intermittent" starting issue. It would start up fine one day, then two hours later it would click, no start.

Fast forward a few months and it would start again click, no start.. Then one day it would not even start at all, just click, no start. I had to get the truck push started and drove home. Its been a good six months and I just started to trouble shoot it and still nothing. Here is what I've done so far:

New Starter
New Starter Relay
6 month old battery
Engine turns by hand

I have also used a multi-meter to test the volts on the battery and it is 12.5, with a half volt drop when you try to start the truck. I put the meter to ohms with the negative prong to the negative side of battery and positive prong to starter and it beeped, indicating it had a good ground. I had the neg. prong to battery and positive side to starter prong and it read 12.5 volts.

What am I missing and what can I do before I take it to a shop?

I hope i gave enough information to receive help.

Thanks,

Mike
This could also be a issue with the ignition coil, distributor, possibly the starter motor. Does the engine turn over when it does not start or just click when you turn the key?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by SubiKing
... it would start again click, no start.. Then one day it would not even start at all, just click, no start. I had to get the truck push started and drove home. ...
Originally Posted by Janos01
This could also be a issue with the ignition coil, distributor, possibly the starter motor. ...
If just clicks, it's not the ignition coil or distributor.

You've done the right tests to start, but a 1/2 volt drop sounds like you're pulling the solenoid, but not connecting the starter. To isolate it, you need to run 12v straight to the solenoid. As you know, easier said than done, so I'd start with this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52264402

If supplying 12v straight to the solenoid wire still results in just "click", you probably have bad contacts in the starter. But since yours is new, I'd do one more step and get my multimeter right on the solenoid connector on the starter. If you get a 1/2 volt drop there (about 12v delivered to the connector), then it's the solenoid contacts.

If your starter is out of warranty, those contacts can be replaced for not much money or work (well, once you get the starter out of there).