Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 Toyota Pickup 3.0 Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Toyota Pickup 3.0 Coolant

Hi Fellas

I thought I read somewhere that to keep from having head gasket problems with the 3.0 VZE Litre engine you should keep your coolant system in good order. The truck has been good so far knock on wood knock.knock. I am leaking a little oil from the valve covers .5 of a litre per 1000 kilometers.
I have 173,000 Kilometers on mine maybe changed the coolant twice.

#1 I have read that you should use OEM Toyota Coolant and apparently it is a certain colour. ?

#2 Can I change the coolant myself ? What do I have to be careful with ?

#2 What else should I be doing ?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
EVERY vehicle, not just the 3.0 ones require that you keep the cooling system in tiptop shape.

No need to use OEM. Prestone makes good quality coolant. Just make sure you use the proper chemical and concentration as your user's manual recommends.

Yes, you can change the coolant yourself. Be careful with:
1) Using proper coolant and concentration
2) Making sure you "burp" the system so no air remains after you refill with coolant.
3) Make sure you check the coolant level after each heating-cooling cycle, because coolant level would go down after air in the system has been eliminated.

What else should you be doing:
1) Perform thorough flush of the system, especially on a vehicle that age.
2) Drain coolant as completely as possible
3) Rinse system with tap water till clear.
4) I strongly recommend a "heavy-duty" flush (refill with water and Prestone Flushing solution and drive vehicle for 3-6 hours over a few days) as described in Prestone's flushing solution container, not just the quick 10-minute one. You know how I know this? Even if the coolant from my 2007 Corolla came out a clean pink, and after I did 1, 2, and 3 , I did the "heavy-duty" flush and this came out of the system when I drained:
Name:  After_Hours_Driving_zps3k9zhmvd.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  97.5 KB

5) After the flush thoroughly drain system and rinse with fresh water thoroughly, then refill with coolant. Double check coolant level after each heating-cooling cycle after refill.
6) Clean temp sensors and threads of port where they are inserted. Temp sensors on mine looked like this when I first took them out:

After:

7) Straighten and clean the fins of your radiator and A/C condenser coils to help restore proper air flow.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-29-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 363,000 miles on my 3VZE 3.0 and I have not had an issue. I use Toyota Red coolant, but the pink is the same stuff, just premixed with water and with a pink dye instead. Toyota released a bulletin to confirm this for their techs a few years back. I also use Zerex Asian formula, which is compatible. At one point in the early 300,000 mile mark coolant started going missing to a tune of about 1qt every 6 months. My buddy who is a huge subaru motor head told me to throw a bottle of that warranty-required subaru coolant conditioner (holts) before I started investigating. That was 4 years ago and I have not had to add a single drop of coolant since.

I have also seen traditional ethyl-glychol used, the old green stuff, and havnt heard of any issues. But, considering it is not the correct formulation, I personally have not used it.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 10-30-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 89fourrunner
...throw a bottle of that warranty-required subaru coolant conditioner (holts) before I started investigating. That was 4 years ago and I have not had to add a single drop of coolant since.
So...could it be possible that there was a tiny leak and the Subaru coolant helped seal it?

Re: Long-Life Coolant, I think even if the coolant condition remains good for a long time, a good flush is still necessary for the reason I mention above on my Corolla that uses the long-life (pink) coolant. OK to re-use the coolant.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
So...could it be possible that there was a tiny leak and the Subaru coolant helped seal it?

Re: Long-Life Coolant, I think even if the coolant condition remains good for a long time, a good flush is still necessary for the reason I mention above on my Corolla that uses the long-life (pink) coolant. OK to re-use the coolant.
Yes, sorry for not being clear. I could not find a leak anywhere, and lived with its consumption for a while, the bottle cost a few bucks. I am not a fix it in a can kind of guy, but now each time I flush I use Toyota Red or Zerex Asian formula and one tiny bottle of subaru coolant system conditioner, and Ive been leak free with rock solid temps for quite some time. If anyone has mild consumption and cannot find the source this is worth a shot.

Im saying to the OP at 363,000 miles mine gets Toyots Red/Zerex Asian and the Subaru conditioner and has been rock solid and cleab.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 10-30-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 89fourrunner
I have 363,000 miles on my 3VZE 3.0 and I have not had an issue.
Did you have Toyota replace the head gasket on recall? Just curious. I love the miles !!!!!

I run Zerex Asian Red as well. They have a blue dyed version as well for Hyundai/Kia.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 PM

RADRunner Thanks so much for your detailed reply to my post ! Awesome of you !
Pocoyota
Old 11-04-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pocoyota
RADRunner Thanks so much for your detailed reply to my post ! Awesome of you !
Pocoyota
most welcome. Always a pleasure to help.