86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 Pickup Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 Pickup Overheating

First off I am new to this forum and not too familiar with Toyotas. Im more of a Jeep guy myself. I probably just lost half of my thread readers
Anyways, I work with a fella who just lost his mom not a week ago AND his 88 pickup has started continuously overheating and from what he says, "dumping water out of the bottom of the radiator and gurgling from the overflow". He knows nothing of automotive repair, so I told him i'd try to find out as much as I can before going over and tearing into that 22RE myself.

He tells me he checked the coolant, still fresh and green looking. The oil is NOT milking or foamy, so head gasket is somewhat ruled out, correct? He says he just had his thermostat replaced, along with a couple other radiator hoses. His buddy told him it seems his water pump is still circulating water. He wanted to make it clear, it is leak free when cold. However when it warms up to operating temperature, it starts to leak out the bottom of the radiator, and it stays at a relatively high idle. I dont know if he means a hose, or if maybe his radiator is cracked from the previous overheating issues. What can this high idle be caused from? Im gonna head over as soon as I can so I can tinker around on it and see what I can dig up.

I am mainly trying to find some possible fixes that maybe I can administer or diagnose. Are these 22RE's prone to water pump failures, or faulty thermostat operation, maybe clogged radiators?

What are some things I can look for/at on these engines for constant overheating? I really wanna help this guy out, he is a mess right now and on top of his mothers very recent death, he is forced to walk to and from work 2+ miles. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 AM

The over flow tube will shoot coolant if the engine over heats and it will look like its coming from the bottom of the radiator. Take the radiator cap off and start the engine and watch the coolant at the radiator. When the engine warms up the water will flow if the water pump is working. You will see it move through the radiator. If the water pump is no good the coolant will be hot and eventually boil out, but won't moves from left to right. The thermostat is suppose to open before it boils. As cold as it has been no antifreeze and a froze block will twist the shaft off in the water pump. Water pump, thermostat installed upside down. The high idle is probably due to the coolant issue. What is the rpms?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High idle can be caused by overheating. There's a coolant line that passes through the throttle body, if that line is pinched (maybe wrong hose on there) or blocked it'll cause a high idle.

But sounds more like it's just plain overheating. I'd check to make sure that thermostat is installed correctly and the right temperature.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He says he just had his thermostat replaced, along with a couple other radiator hoses. [/QUOTE]

did the overheating issue start right after this work was done?

thermostat in backwards? or a bad thermostat?

you might try removing the thermostat temporarily to isolate the problem.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Air in the radiator system will cause an erratic idle. Raise the front end as high as you can with cap off and let the thermostat cycle a few times to get the air out once you fix the leak.

Pull the radiator and take it to a shop. Here it cost me $25 to have it flushed and it will get a lot of crud out of it that a Prestone kit wont get and they can test it for leaks.

A rule of thumb for me that works is the temp guage should be just belwo the half way mark. One way I know if I have a dirty radiator. Works for me.

No oil in the radiator does not necessarily mean a non blown head gasket. Do a compression check. I have only had one water pump to fail, but someone used Stop Leak in it and that stuff is crap.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 PM

So check the TB coolant line for blockage, jack up the front of the truck and try burping the radiator, check the thermostat installation job (however it was overheating prior to thermostat install) and last but not least take the radiator out and take it to a shop for a flush? Does it HAVE to be a specified Radiator shop, or can any mechanical shop do this?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:14 PM

It could be the water pump. If it's bad, coolant comes out of it's (the water pump's) weep holes, and it looks like it's leaking from the radiator sometimes, if you don't look closely. I got some goggles on, and looked under the truck, that's how I found it.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM

So there are actual holes on the water pump housing? If the water pump is bad, you wont be able to see the water circulating through the top of the radiator and the "weep holes" will be leaking water? Is this correct? How involved is the radiator removal on these 22re's? Can one flush it themselves? Or would it be better to take it to a shop?
I appreciate all the input guys, I just wanna put a smile back on this guys face while he is going through this tough time.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM

"Take the radiator cap off and start the engine and watch the coolant at the radiator. When the engine warms up the water will flow if the water pump is working. You will see it move through the radiator. If the water pump is no good the coolant will be hot and eventually boil out, but won't moves from left to right. The thermostat is suppose to open before it boils."
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM

Just makin sure I got it right Romans. Now as for burping (I dont need a quote Romans ) the radiator. Will jacking the front up be high enough, or should I crawl the front tires up on something? I just leave the cap off and let it burp out as much air as I can? I interact in no way whatsoever?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 PM

I burped my 88 a few days ago just parked on my kinda steep driveway. Putting the tires up on a log or piece of lumber definitely won't hurt, though. Take off the radiator cap, start the engine, and just leave it alone for 15min or so. If you pay attention, you'll definitely see bubbles and spurts of fluid shooting out. Make sure you have a jug of coolant and some distilled water on hand for a refill after! And you should really make sure it's the same type and brand of coolant - mixing types can sometimes cause corrosion issues down the line.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM

I suppose ill check his line for clogs, burp the radiator and then as a last resort, take it out and try flushing it.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 AM

Taking the water pump off is pretty simple. You just take the fan off in the engine, and the water pump is right behind it. The shaft that the fan is on comes out of the water pump itself. It's attached by about 10 bolts maybe...? Anyway, a Haynes book would tell you step by step.
But as Romans said, the easiest way to tell if the pump is bad is to see if the coolant flows in the radiator when you take the cap off. (Take it off before you start the truck, don't open when hot). When the engine warms up, you should see the coolant start flowing like a river.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am just responding to your earlier post that I was on. Any radiator shop can clean and fix it. I would fix the leak first and I have pulled up on a steep hill to burp mine.